Why The Rams Will Either Succeed Or Won't

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Big Willie

Starter
For me, if they succeed....
  • It means they played to their immense talent. The defense has the talent to be among the best. Our Offensive skill players have the talent to be in the top half of the league. With three first and second rounders on the OL, they should just need practice and continuity. Our special teams should be in the top tier of the league if Greg Z can get back to form.
If they fail to succeed....
  • I have to question coaching, GM drafting, and whether these players were over drafted or simply underperformed. No more excuses about being the youngest team, injury prone over-priced QB, or persistent changes to defensive and offensive philosophies.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Ayers...U-C-L-A fight, fight, FIGHT!!!...oops, didn't know 6 Million was cheap...Not sure what the avg. is for OLB's that aren't the 3-4 type, but $6 mill seems high...

well, as a comparison, justin houston just signed a 6 year $100m deal with the chiefs, with $50m guaranteed.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they fail to succeed....
  • I have to question coaching, GM drafting, and whether these players were over drafted or simply underperformed. No more excuses about being the youngest team, injury prone over-priced QB, or persistent changes to defensive and offensive philosophies.

damn straight. no more excuses now. the d has the same coordinator so no more slow starts from them, the offense isn't relying on sam's knee, the wrs should all be down with the playbook, just drafted a stud rb. the oline ... oh, wait ... ready made excuse in waiting.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Personally, I don't think we squeak into the playoffs... Instead we pave the way. 2015 is our year.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I'm a little confused. We close out the season with a 3 game losing streak. Our defense got torched by the 5-9 Giants. At home. Not sure that shows promise to close out a season. It sure didn't end the way I was hoping.

Perhaps it was that sterling 19 points that the O put up in support of those efforts that tipped the scales. :oops:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I am always optimistic with each season. But this one feels different. Like a lot of pieces are where they need to be.

I'm not so sure CGI, but I'm willing to wait through preseason game 3 before forming an opinion. There are a number of moving parts still in question, most of which will have to fall in place just to challenge AZ for 2nd.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I think a lot of optimism for the Rams in 2015 from the wizards of smart is quelled a bit because of the level of play in the NFC west. The Hags are still the team to beat and the Cardinals are always a force lately. The Niners are most likely on a down turn but you never know about them until the season starts.
I believe the Rams will win the NFC west. Their defense is going to be impressive maybe the best in the NFC. Foles is the key. If the line can give him time and the run game gets hot...LOOK OUT!
That said 8-8 would be better than we've seen in a while. :ROFLMAO:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not so sure CGI, but I'm willing to wait through preseason game 3 before forming an opinion. There are a number of moving parts still in question, most of which will have to fall in place just to challenge AZ for 2nd.

Fair enough. I am still holding a lot of judgement too. But from our current vantage point...

I see fewer moving parts for the first time in a while.

The defense; I think we all agree is set.

On offense...

The WR position (outside Rams Park) is regarded as a question mark but it's fairly consistent with what we had last year. So not a moving part in regards to who the starters are, etc. However, we are banking on gained experience and QB play.

The QB isn't exactly a moving part either. It's Foles show. He's got some proving to do, but he's set as the starter.

The oline is probably the biggest moving part. Who plays where is still up for grabs. But... We've got quantity. That's an element lacking from previous years.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Fair enough. I am still holding a lot of judgement too. But from our current vantage point...

I see fewer moving parts for the first time in a while.

The defense; I think we all agree is set.

On offense...

The WR position (outside Rams Park) is regarded as a question mark but it's fairly consistent with what we had last year. So not a moving part in regards to who the starters are, etc. However, we are banking on gained experience and QB play.

The QB isn't exactly a moving part either. It's Foles show. He's got some proving to do, but he's set as the starter.

The oline is probably the biggest moving part. Who plays where is still up for grabs. But... We've got quantity. That's an element lacking from previous years.

I'd consider Foles a moving part in so much that we really don't know (which) one we'll get.

I'd also add the OC as a moving part from the perspective that it's his first job at the position and we really don't what he's got either.

Certainly there are fewer weak positions to be filled then in the past. There's "potential" quality out there to be sure, but execution remains an unknown, especially when it comes to this entire offensive unit.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
In fact comparing the first three years of Bradford and Foles, Bradford was healthy 42 of a possible 48 games. Foles has been healthy for 29 of 48 games.

He has to have this backwards!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To some 8-8 will be success and others falure.
Lump me in the group that considers that failure. As many have said, no more excuses... period. I know it's hard line but geesh... it's time!

Moving parts to me?
* Foles (which one do we get?)
* Quick (will he bounce back 100% and not be afraid to throw that shoulder out there?)
* Oline (for obvious reasons)
* RB (how soon can Gurley get healthy enough to play? Can Mason be effective enough until Gurley shows up? When Gurley shows up, how long will it take for him to "figure out the NFL"? He will be a rookie, after all... gotta give him some slack)
* Defense (only question is... can they come out of the gate dominiating - they really need to IMHO)

Other than those, we're all set!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I love Ayers...U-C-L-A fight, fight, FIGHT!!!...oops, didn't know 6 Million was cheap...Not sure what the avg. is for OLB's that aren't the 3-4 type, but $6 mill seems high...
uhh,
Akeem Ayers signed a 2 year, $6,000,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including $2,750,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $3,000,000. In 2015, Ayers will earn a base salary of $1,250,000 and a roster bonus of $1,671,875. Ayers has a cap hit of $2,921,875 while his dead money value is $2,750,000.

VS.

JoLonn Dunbar signed a 2 year, $2,005,498 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including $128,821 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,002,749. In 2015, Dunbar will earn a base salary of $999,999, a roster bonus of $125,521 and a incentive bonus of $220,022. Dunbar has a cap hit of $1,345,542.

One would think that when you purchase a tweener like Ayers @ 3 mil a season....you would plan to utilize this skill set often. I see in the 2015 season where Ayers will get every chance to start @ one of the OSLB'er posts. That he will also be involved in many of GW's non base defenses where will will see him rushing the passer from the OLB post when the offense permits it.

I also cold see where Ayers is not removed from the field in passing situations & in fact is involved in the performance of DE from the 43 LDE post to spot Chris Long. Hayes was not all that effective in pass rush situations in 2014.

Dunbar moving back into a relief role could also bring big dividends due to the fact he has started in the NFL at all three LB'ing posts. GW could go with just five LB'ers on the roster thus permitting a valuable special role impact player in another unit.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
And how are the other running backs in the league without their top run?
If ONE play can drop your ypc average to below 4.0, then while I'm not knocking him, it just goes to show that his season was pretty average...And that's a good thing considering the line & QB play...But it explains the reasoning behind the drafting of Todd Gurley. 3.9 is not unique, or special in any way...Rookie, poor line, or whatever is not a good excuse for this production.

I remember discussing 1000 yard seasons..if you average 63 yards a game you'll get 1000. Is that an elite back? Can basically any back outta college get 60 yards a game? Will that impact a game?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I also cold see where Ayers is not removed from the field in passing situations & in fact is involved in the performance of DE from the 43 LDE post to spot Chris Long. Hayes was not all that effective in pass rush situations in 2014.

Dunbar moving back into a relief role could also bring big dividends due to the fact he has started in the NFL at all three LB'ing posts. GW could go with just five LB'ers on the roster thus permitting a valuable special role impact player in another unit.
Replacing Long on passing situations...hmmmm...Maybe move Long inside sometimes...? Dunbar as a backup....he does play MLB too...I wonder if you see that Hager kid making the team? PS maybe.....