Why the Rams defense devalued linebacker position in draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
My only problem with any of these theories is that the most important down is FIRST down.

What happens on that down influences how both the defense and offense handle second down.

If you can't consistently keep it 2nd and long(ish) by having a good run stopping linebacker, you're going to be in trouble with a lot of 2nd and short yardage situations.

Other teams at that point can go long pass on you or pick up another quick first down on a running play.
Now your defense has to be able to handle both options.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Stopping the run is very important against the 49ers and Ravens type. Rams have been horrid at that for years.
A Robinson and a stout ILB can make a difference, allowing for that all important 2nd and 3rd and longs.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
These guys are not run-stuffing three-down Lbers. They are closer to hybrid LB/DBs. The Rams have Travin Howard

This guy went a full round after Burgess and is not a cover Lber.

I will speculate that the Rams drafted Burgess because he has great flexibility to play both safety spots, Nickle CB and even cover CB in a crunch. He can also play right away. The Rams are looking down the road as well when he can take over as a starter safety for Johnson when he will become a free agent next year.

It's hard to find solid three-down Lbers that can cover and play the run. The good ones are gone early in the draft Simmons, Queen and Murray to name a few went early. A couple could be had later but, the Rams replace offensive weapons in round two with Akers and Jefferson.

I don't know about the numbers and percentages but I do know that we now see hybrid LB/DBs like Howard playing more and more. The Rams used M Christain as a bigger hybrid cover DB and Howard later in the year in that same roll.

The Rams also already have Kenny Young to compete as a ILber.

I think the restocking of players & talent were the reasoning for certain draft picks. —Fuller is a perfect example.

Jefferson was to good to pass up. Well worth the value for trading Brandon Cook. The Rams got a first round type of talent.The cap hit was to much & getting Cam was huge.

Hopkins is also another project type who might need an extra season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Stopping the run is very important against the 49ers and Ravens type. Rams have been horrid at that for years.
A Robinson and a stout ILB can make a difference, allowing for that all important 2nd and 3rd and longs.

The Robinson signing was a nice addition. 2 year deal & I think he will be a better fit than Suh was.

Ebukham gets a starting role. I think he will be better against the run than Clay.

Floyd will be a big question mark on the kind of impact he brings ?

Kiser I like if he can stay healthy.

Reeder is a guy that came out of nowhere , but now he has a season under his belt.

The safety’s will play a bigger part of run stopping. There are others .