Why the Rams can't build an offense around Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's not going to work. In the modern NFL, it's simply not a consistently winning strategy to build your offense around any running back. In the modern NFL, passing is king, and you need to build your offense around a quarterback.
"BS"
NOT ME!!
I've Been around this League a Loooong Time!!
And what Fisher is obviously going to try and do can work, " What goes around comes around!" A strong Running game, with an un-bending D has worked before and it can work again!! Teams TODAY are not being built to defend against it!! IT'S TIME has come again!! The Rams will show the World!! And "YES I'M A HOMER" But an educated, and experienced one!!:shades::snicker:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"BS"

NOT ME!!
I've Been around this League a Loooong Time!!
And what Fisher is obviously going to try and do can work, " What goes around comes around!" A strong Running game, with an un-bending D has worked before and it can work again!! Teams TODAY are not being built to defend against it!! IT'S TIME has come again!! The Rams will show the World!! And "YES I'M A HOMER" But an educated, and experienced one!!:shades::snicker:

And of course - despite the rhetoric - the Rams are NOT trying to build a run only team. Seems to me that they traded for a young QB who was in the Pro Bowl a year ago. They resigned their top WR. They resigned a TE, and made it plain they expected him to be an important part of the offense. They have Austin also.

While the Rams do expect to run a LOT - they are planning on having a far better passing game than the Vikings had the year the writer wrote about. It'll basically be a balanced attack, with a somewhat stronger emphasis on the run ultimately - but with long passes and quick play action passes too. Add in excellent special teams and a potentially dominating defense - and yes, the Rams could compete for a title IF things break right.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I have feeling that, with an improved running game, our supposedly weak receiver corps might suddenly seem a lot better...Not to mention a "starting" QB under center...

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Fun fact, teams with an above average rushing attack (defined by me as a yards per attempt greater than 4.2) and an above average defence (defined by me as top 16 for points allowed) had an average record of 10-6, in fact there was only one (of 8) team that had a losing record, and they were 31st worst in INT%.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
We suck. Fisher sucks. Gurley will disappoint. Foles will fail now that he is in a Rams uniform. At best we'll have a .500 season. Ultimately, we're permanently relegated to bottom feeder status in the eyes of all important NFL journalists.

Domain Report
http://www.websitelooker.net/search.php?site=footballoutsiders.com

There are 59,314 sites with a better three-month global Alexa traffic rank than Footballoutsiders.com. Compared with all internet users, the site's audience tends to be male; they are also disproportionately higher-income, childless college graduates browsing from school and home. It is based in the US. This site's visitors view an average of 2.5 unique pages per day. Footballoutsiders.com has been online for more than seven years.

Info footballoutsiders.com

Alexa Rank: 59,315
Title: football outsiders: innovative statistics, intelligent analysis
Description: footballoutsiders.com visitors, seo, traffic and competition. Website located in United States. Hosted in Seattle. Has the following nameservers: ns29.domaincontrol.com, ns30.domaincontrol.com. With ip 174.129.0.133. World rank is 59315.
Visits per day: 19,912
Daily Ads Revenue: $61.17
Creation Date: 2003-06-10
Domain Age: 12years 11days
Ip: 174.129.0.133

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
And look what Aaron Schatz, author of the above article and founder of FootallOutsiders has to say about his beloved Seahags on ABCNews.com...

"Over a three-year period, the DVOA ratings system definitely scores Seattle as one of the best defenses of the past 25 years"

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/seattles-ranks-time/story?id=28230274

And here Aaron gives us "the lowdown on why Seattle is just so darn good"... but admits that "he is not a trained statistician"...

View: https://youtu.be/ga_cR0p_1Ek

tempests

Hall of Fame
Offenses that are built around a RB and aren't more than complimentary in other phases don't fare well.

However, a good QB/RB pairing has always been a boon to offenses. He mentions examples of this with other teams but apparently doesn't consider that Foles could be a good QB as well.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Last time I checked you're still awarded the yards you gain by running the ball. You still get 6 points if you run it into the end zone.

All this talk about running backs being a thing of the past annoys me.

Alan

Legend
RAGRam agreeing with the author:
Fun fact, teams with an above average rushing attack (defined by me as a yards per attempt greater than 4.2) and an above average defence (defined by me as top 16 for points allowed) had an average record of 10-6, in fact there was only one (of 8) team that had a losing record, and they were 31st worst in INT%.
That's what she said.
"Otherwise, even the Gurley everyone hopes to see won't be enough to take the Rams much past 10-6."

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
Stranger with this:
"Over a three-year period, the DVOA ratings system definitely scores Seattle as one of the best defenses of the past 25 years"
Are you agreeing or disagreeing with him? Cause I kind of agree with that. Remember, he only said one of the best and not the best.

Last edited:

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
That's what he said.
"Otherwise, even the Gurley everyone hopes to see won't be enough to take the Rams much past 10-6."

You see that's why people should read articles before posting, bloody idiots :rolleyes:.

Yeah a lot will depend on the QB, even in a run first O you need a QB who isn't going to turn the ball over every chance he gets. Fortunately Foles has shown he can do that (unfortunately he's also shown the opposite).

Alan

Legend
RAGRam poking fun at himself:
You see that's why people should read articles before posting, bloody idiots :rolleyes:.

Yeah a lot will depend on the QB, even in a run first O you need a QB who isn't going to turn the ball over every chance he gets. Fortunately Foles has shown he can do that (unfortunately he's also shown the opposite).
I agree with that RAG. I doubt we'd have finished better than 10-6 last year even with Gurley doing his best AP imitation.

I'm not going to comment about the merits of the article but in the author's defense, he did put it in perspective at the end by acknowledging you could be a playoff caliber team but to get past that you need more.

Like the Shehag's #1 rated D for example.

manmaderam

The one and only
With as many talented RB's on the roster, I would like to see the Rams pull out the ol' Wishbone Offense every so often to really prove the author of this ridiculous statement wrong!

Psycho_X

Legend
A team with a crappy defense has to throw the ball down field no question in order to keep up. A defense that can defend both the pass and the run and excels at stopping the QB through either pass protection or rushing the passer can run the ball all they like as long as they have a QB capable of hitting the long throws off play action and capable of scoring in the red zone. The last part is to be seen but I think the Seahawks have proven this formula lately and I think Foles is perfectly capable given he has protection.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Yeah this was a strange piece....Especially following the success of the NFC West recently....
Superbowl 49: Yards rushing (by winner): 57 Yards passing (by winner): 328
Yards rushing (loser): 162 Yards passing (by loser): 247
Never saw a running team blow a game like this...never. I almost started thinking like my momma, the fix is IN!!!!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I love when a writer says "The fact that he may not". Fact means there is no doubt. May not means there is a doubt. Which is it?