Why the Rams can't build an offense around Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/13090969/why-st-louis-rams-build-offense-todd-gurley-nfl

The St. Louis Rams selected Georgia running back Todd Gurley with the 10th overall pick in this year's NFL draft, but even that number 10 discounts just how strongly the Rams felt about Gurley as a player. Reports say that Gurley was the top player on the Rams' entire draft board.

"We place a premium on that position," head coach Jeff Fisher told the press. All reports indicate that the Rams plan to build their entire offense around Gurley and a run-first mentality.

It's not going to work. In the modern NFL, it's simply not a consistently winning strategy to build your offense around any running back. In the modern NFL, passing is king, and you need to build your offense around a quarterback.

Discussion of Gurley has to start with the fact that he may not even live up to the draft hype. Over the past decade, the only running backs taken high in the draft who really lived up to their draft status were Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch, and Lynch had to be traded to a second team before he truly prospered. Every running back chosen high in the draft was supposed to be great. Trent Richardson and Darren McFadden were both supposed to be the next Peterson. C.J. Spiller was supposed to be the next Reggie Bush.

But let's assume that Gurley is as good as advertised. Let's assume he comes back from his ACL tear in fine form, and doesn't spend his NFL career struggling with the ankle problems that have bothered him since high school. Let's assume that he is one of the top 10 running backs of the next three seasons, the way Field Yates ranked him in a piece last week.

The best argument against the idea of a team building around the running back is the season that Peterson had for the 2012 Minnesota Vikings. He gained over 2,000 yards on the ground at over 6.0 yards per carry, and added an extra 40 catches to boot. It was the best-case scenario for what a team can get from a running back in today's NFL. It's very unlikely that Gurley will ever have a season as good.

And how good was this offense built around Peterson having one of the most dominant seasons by a running back in NFL history? The Vikings clawed their way to 10-6 and got clobbered in the wild card round of the playoffs. Their offense, despite Peterson's incredible season, ranked just 15th in Football Outsiders' DVOA ratings. The Vikings simply couldn't overcome having a mediocre quarterback -- in this case Christian Ponder putting up a 51.7 QBR in his second NFL season.

Football Outsiders measures an offensive skill player's total value using a stat called DYAR, or defense-adjusted yards above replacement. Over the last 10 years, there have been 21 running backs who finished in the top five for total DYAR (combining both running and receiving) despite having a quarterback who did not finish in the top 10. Those 21 teams won an average of 8.8 games. Only nine of these 21 teams had top-10 offenses overall, according to Football Outsiders' DVOA ratings that combine passes, runs and penalties. (Teams led by Peterson make this list twice, in 2012 and his rookie year of 2007 when Tarvaris Jackson was Minnesota's starting quarterback.)

Now, let's switch that around. In that same period since 2005, there have been 25 quarterbacks who finished in the top five for total DYAR despite not having at least one running back on their team in the top 10. Those 25 teams won an average of 10.5 games. Twenty of the 25 teams were top-10 offenses overall by DVOA. Two of these offenses, the 2009 Patriots and the 2011 Packers, were the No. 1 offenses by DVOA despite not having a running back who ranked in the top 10 for total value.

Look at the top running backs in the game, and you'll find a number of players who share the field with a top quarterback -- and often a top wide receiver as well. Le'Veon Bell actually led all running backs last year in combined DYAR, because he had such an outstanding season as a receiver. Some will make the case that the Pittsburgh offense is built around Bell, and yes, the Steelers did struggle without him in the playoffs. But Bell gets to play with Ben Roethlisberger, who was fifth with a 72.5 QBR last season, and Antonio Brown, who led all receivers in DYAR.

Eddie Lacy plays with Aaron Rodgers, Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb. DeMarco Murray played last season with Tony Romo, Dez Bryant and a fantastic offensive line. As great as Lynch is, the Seattle offense is built in part around Russell Wilson's ability to throw from outside the pocket and his threat to run as well. And criticize Jay Cutler all you want -- no, really, go ahead, I'm not stopping you -- but Chicago's offense over the last couple of years was built more around receivers Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery, making room for Matt Forte underneath rather than vice versa.

Other than Peterson, there are only two running backs right now who truly are the players their offenses are built around. One is LeSean McCoy, but we haven't even seen what that Buffalo offense looks like yet. In Philadelphia, the offense wasn't really built around McCoy; Chip Kelly's scheme is the star of the offense, not any specific player.

The other is Jamaal Charles -- but like Peterson, there's only so far Charles can lift the Kansas City offense given its mediocre quarterbacking. We'll never know how far the Chiefs could have gone in the 2013 playoffs if Charles had not gotten hurt early in the wild-card matchup against Indianapolis. But we do know that the Chiefs have only made the postseason twice in Charles' five seasons as their leading rusher, because they have had mediocre quarterbacks and been thin at wide receiver.

There's one additional reason why it's difficult to build an offense around a running back, and it's not just because passing is generally more efficient than rushing. It's also because the most important players in the passing game always stay on the field, and the best running backs don't. No team platoons its quarterbacks, but running backs now work in committees. The era of the workhorse running back who played every snap and took every carry is long gone.

Last year, only two running backs played at least 75 percent of their team's offensive snaps: Forte and Bell. To give you an idea of how that's changed over the past decade, there were eight running backs in 2004 who played at least 75 percent of their team's offensive snaps, and in 2003 there were nine. And running back snap counts pale in comparison to the snap counts for the top wide receivers. Last year, 26 different wide receivers played at least 85 percent of snaps when active. Forte, in both 2013 and 2014, is the only running back in any of the past three seasons who could match that. It's very unlikely that Gurley will play that many snaps, even if he overcomes the durability concerns.

Chronologically, the Rams are certainly building around Gurley. He's the first important offensive building block for the championship team they are hoping to put together. But he's not the most important. The Rams will need to improve their offensive line. They'll need to improve their no-name receiving corps. And unless Nick Foles can somehow find the magic of his fabulous 2013 half-season in a completely different non-Kelly scheme, they'll need to find themselves a better quarterback. Otherwise, even the Gurley everyone hopes to see won't be enough to take the Rams much past 10-6.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
It's not going to work. In the modern NFL, it's simply not a consistently winning strategy to build your offense around any running back. In the modern NFL, passing is king, and you need to build your offense around a quarterback.

Yeah because a team with that kind of offense hasn't made it to the Super Bowl in like.......

oh the Seahawks do that??? Well umm what I meant to say is.....

That's as far as I got before I knew it was a waste of time to read any more. But what the heck I have some time to waste so I guess I'll go read it and see how much more of a dipshit this person makes themself out to be

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Let's hope Foles is better than Ponder. And wasn't Percy Harvain sulking on the bench the whole season. Adrian Peterson WAS the Vikings.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yep I thought so. It's all about the QB and the time of running backs being important are long gone because these made up stats that account for me making a wildass guess about what might have happened if something different happened wouldn't have made any difference.

And let not even mention the other 2 units that make up a TEAM. How was that defense the Vikings had in Peterson's great year? Special Teams?

This ain't baseball, and I'm not buying someone's fantasy stats.

The only thing I will give this yahoo credit for is saying they need to rebuild the Oline. No shit. Did he happen to notice the draft after the Gurley pick:confused:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The stat he seemed to overlook is important...Points scored differential between a hard-on as opposed to a flaccid tool...Yeah, I know...But his stupid shit makes about as much sense to me...

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Might as well pack it up and go home. This Aaron Schatz guy obviously knows more than Fisher, it just won't work. We CAN'T.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
guys a fucking moron. @CGI_Ram you should've posted that one Facebook comment at the end of the article (I'll see if I can find it and post it). he had the rushing and passing stats for every Super Bowl winner from the past 10+ years. it makes the writer look like an idiot cus almost every winner had a solid ground attack with 100+ yards rushing. oh yea and how did Seattle win their SB and go to 2 more and formerly the Niners win all their games the last how many years? by pounding the ball down the opponents throat.

updated: found it

Superbowl 35: Yards rushing (by winner): 111 Yards passing (by winner): 153
Superbowl 36: Yards rushing (by winner): 133 Yards passing (by winner): 145
Superbowl 37: Yards rushing (by winner): 150 Yards passing (by winner): 215
Superbowl 38: Yards rushing (by winner): 127 Yards passing (by winner): 354
Superbowl 39: Yards rushing (by winner): 112 Yards passing (by winner): 236
Superbowl 40: Yards rushing (by winner): 181 Yards passing (by winner): 166
Superbowl 41: Yards rushing (by winner): 191 Yards passing (by winner): 247
Superbowl 42: Yards rushing (by winner): 91 Yards passing (by winner): 255
Superbowl 43: Yards rushing (by winner): 58 Yards passing (by winner): 256
Superbowl 44: Yards rushing (by winner): 51 Yards passing (by winner): 288
Superbowl 45: Yards rushing (by winner): 52 Yards passing (by winner): 304
Superbowl 46: Yards rushing (by winner): 114 Yards passing (by winner): 296
Superbowl 47: Yards rushing (by winner): 94 Yards passing (by winner): 287
Superbowl 48: Yards rushing (by winner): 135 Yards passing (by winner): 206
Superbowl 49: Yards rushing (by winner): 57 Yards passing (by winner): 328
Yards rushing (loser): 162 Yards passing (by loser): 247

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i didn't read the article because the heading was preposterous. then i read the replies and it confirmed my original thoughts. then i saw it was an insider piece. people actually pay to read this shit? the whole internet is alive with this kind of analysis.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
We'll see about that. Foles is better than Ponder ever dreams of being. As FLV says - I suppose we should have picked that all star QB at 10....oh wait....

I'll say this. A lot of media guys are really trying to be down on the Gurley pick. They hate it. But no one has yet come up with a good alternate scenario telling us what we should have done instead. All they keep saying is "can't take a RB at #10". Who'd we take then geniuses? Its easy to call this a bad pick now because of the positional value and him coming off an ACL - but if we run to a superbowl off his back in the next 3 or 4 years (or more) then I wonder if they'll remember writing this stuff.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
We'll see about that. Foles is better than Ponder ever dreams of being. As FLV says - I suppose we should have picked that all star QB at 10....oh wait....

I'll say this. A lot of media guys are really trying to be down on the Gurley pick. They hate it. But no one has yet come up with a good alternate scenario telling us what we should have done instead. All they keep saying is "can't take a RB at #10". Who'd we take then geniuses? Its easy to call this a bad pick now because of the positional value and him coming off an ACL - but if we run to a superbowl off his back in the next 3 or 4 years (or more) then I wonder if they'll remember writing this stuff.
Not to mention ... Gurley is NOT going to have to "shoulder the load". We have pretty damn good depth at the position and the ability to mix up styles. Too many "internet experts" have tunnel vision and even worse ... tunnel brains.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
That 2012 Vikings offense was dead last in passing. I'm pretty sure that when you build your offense around an elite back, you're planning on being able to complete a pass as some point.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I read the first quarter of the article, and then thought.....
BjrwTUd.gif

A55VA6

Legend
Most teams that win the super bowl have a good rushing attack and a good defense.. so I'm pretty damn sure we can build an offense around Gurley.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Boy people are just rushing to try to invalidate Gurley now that he's been drafted. Before he was drafted everybody was slobbering on his knob like roadies. That's the good old Rams charm for ya.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Whatever you do, you don't want a very cheap and young star running back. Apparently, it's the kiss of death.

The era of the workhorse running back who played every snap and took every carry is long gone.

OMG! Did we trade away Mason and Cunningham too?! Or is this author an idiot?!

Actually, I agree with the title. You can't build an offense around Todd Gurley. If that's what the Rams were trying to do, the article might have been worth a read. Thanks goodness Gurley is the last piece of the rebuild, and not the "first important offensive building block for the championship team they are hoping to put together." That's just a stupid thing to say.