Why the Rams can have a very good offense just by adding a QB and TE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Just as the GSOT was winding down, there was a team in the AFC who led the league in offense for a couple years. They had the best offensive line in football, They eventually replaced one Pro Bowl RB with another, largely due to the OL. Their TE may have been the best of all time. Yet their QB and best WR were castoffs from the Rams. As a matter of fact, that top receiver would've been the fourth or fifth best on the GSOT if he stayed.

Another AFC team has been to multiple Super Bowls with a Pro Bowl QB and during his career threw to MOSTLY pedestrian WR's and only half his career had a top TE. His running backs have been varied in skill sets but never anyone special. Yet his best years were when his offensive line was mostly healthy.

My point?

By focusing on youth, talent, and depth to upgrade the offensive line the last two years, the Rams have BEGUN a foundation for offensive success. The SINGLE GREATEST REASON Ram offenses have foundered for a dozen years or so is an inordinate number of key OLine injuries. The biggest weakness on the team IMO is the heady, but underpowered Tim Barnes. My hope is for his upgrade in round 4.

Gurley is a transcendent talent who, combined with an effective offensive line, establishes an identity to the offense (though his underrated receiving skills need to be more frequently utilized). I may be an outlier here, but I think Cunningham is as good a backup as any in the league.

Lance Kendricks is a nice player but he's never going to be confused with Tony Gonzales or Gronk. This is the other position I hope is addressed in this draft. Sadly, an upgrade won't be available when the Rams make a selection. We will have to wait for next year. The Cookie experience set us back almost as badly as the Bradford disappointment.

Once Gontz is drafted and develops this year, the Rams will finally have an effective offense even though we will only get depth receivers this offseason. It's next year when we upgrade the TE position and hopefully we either develop or acquire a top ten center that this offense can explode.

I'm just not as obsessed with getting a stud WR as the majority here. I'm not saying I'd refuse one, I just don't see it as a priority. Just ask the Y2k Chiefs and the Cheatriots.

…..

Legend
Agreed on Cookie. It set us back and hindered the development of others. Glad to see him gone.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
As bad as last year's O looked like on paper, I agree only a couple of key pieces are missing. Good depth is available at TE though in this draft. I think we might be presently surprised at who can be had in the 4th. Moving players like Foles and Mason will be key to doing more with less in this year's draft.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think a good TE is a must for an offense ...they can be game changers ...look at Gronk and Gonzalez jimmy graham ...guys that could overtake a game

I don't much about TE's in his draft but I hope theres some talent at TE on the board in the 4th and we take him

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Any high potential TEs that should be available in the 4th?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well if the Rams want to throw caution to the wind, Tyler Higbee should be available. Of course he may only be available because of actions that make me not want him

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just as the GSOT was winding down, there was a team in the AFC who led the league in offense for a couple years. They had the best offensive line in football, They eventually replaced one Pro Bowl RB with another, largely due to the OL. Their TE may have been the best of all time. Yet their QB and best WR were castoffs from the Rams. As a matter of fact, that top receiver would've been the fourth or fifth best on the GSOT if he stayed.

Another AFC team has been to multiple Super Bowls with a Pro Bowl QB and during his career threw to MOSTLY pedestrian WR's and only half his career had a top TE. His running backs have been varied in skill sets but never anyone special. Yet his best years were when his offensive line was mostly healthy.

My point?

By focusing on youth, talent, and depth to upgrade the offensive line the last two years, the Rams have BEGUN a foundation for offensive success. The SINGLE GREATEST REASON Ram offenses have foundered for a dozen years or so is an inordinate number of key OLine injuries. The biggest weakness on the team IMO is the heady, but underpowered Tim Barnes. My hope is for his upgrade in round 4.

Gurley is a transcendent talent who, combined with an effective offensive line, establishes an identity to the offense (though his underrated receiving skills need to be more frequently utilized). I may be an outlier here, but I think Cunningham is as good a backup as any in the league.

Lance Kendricks is a nice player but he's never going to be confused with Tony Gonzales or Gronk. This is the other position I hope is addressed in this draft. Sadly, an upgrade won't be available when the Rams make a selection. We will have to wait for next year. The Cookie experience set us back almost as badly as the Bradford disappointment.

Once Gontz is drafted and develops this year, the Rams will finally have an effective offense even though we will only get depth receivers this offseason. It's next year when we upgrade the TE position and hopefully we either develop or acquire a top ten center that this offense can explode.

I'm just not as obsessed with getting a stud WR as the majority here. I'm not saying I'd refuse one, I just don't see it as a priority. Just ask the Y2k Chiefs and the Cheatriots.

I Call total B S on Your Barnes take at center. I will say Rainey is a poor back up center,& if Barnes gets hurt The Rams could be in serious trouble. I like the Michagan center.He played well for Harbaugh.He went to E-W Shrine &!then got invited to senior bowl.He held up well against the best in 1 on 1 drills.He also showed he can play guard.At center I believe it is being smart & positioning.
-I love the way Barnes has a motor that doesn't stop . You my friend I believe are underrating him.

As for a TE . I think it would be cool to draft the TE from CAL !! The coaches from there say he was the best player on there team. Tony Gonzalaz went there as well.
Eddie Kennison was a LA(Anaheim)Ram that Ram fans thought was a bust at first.They also thought Bruuuce was a bust.He got hurt,plus was driving on a flat with his new Mercedes Benz on the 91fwy.

Name
aloharamfan
I know this may be a bit of a reach, but I think we could end up with a good te prospect. We really don't need a te that is great at run blocking and average or less as a pass catcher. We need a te that can catch the ball for third down conversions.

If they can block some, great. Blocking is something that can be more easily taught vs teaching someone to catch a football. Our brain trust knows we need to keep the chains moving so that gurley can get more quality touches.

Some of the te propects fit this bill nicely.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't think you can reasonably expect big improvements offensively this season. Any late round additions are likely to just be depth or role players and there is no guarantee that a rookie QB will be ready to start or even play at a high level while adjusting to the NFL. If the offensive jump does happen, it's probably a couple years out as this young team progresses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agreed that we need a TE. But not just a TE, what we need is a PASS CATCHING TE. They need to completely forget about how good of a blocker the dude is.

IF they do that, then the guy I want--TE Williams--should be in play in round 4. 6'6" with a big physical frame and hands/catch radius. Not a big name, but when I watch his film whenever they go to him he gets open and makes tough catches. This dude is an oversized receiver, not much of a blocker but the Rams have blockers in spades so I just don't care about that. We don't need a guy like Vannett. We need a guy who specializes in finding seams in zones, in making catches across the middle with good hands.

Not really sure about Higbee, on the fence with him. I would rather see a WR I think there in round 4 than him.

I just want them to come out of round 4 with a pass catcher and a Center. I think Center is crucial because they'll be looking at guys like Boehm who can significantly boost their interior push on run plays. But yeah, a TE might be more valuable to this offense than a WR, the key is they gotta get a TE who is a pass catcher.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Well if the Rams want to throw caution to the wind, Tyler Higbee should be available. Of course he may only be available because of actions that make me not want him

I think the incident was isolated. Yes it involved alcohol. But he wasn't driving. From the report I read it sounded like some random dude was popping off in front of Higbee's girlfriend, so Higbee put him is his place. Unfortunately Higbee is stronger than he realized and hurt him. I don't think he's a bad kid.

But I know he'd be a hell of a TE for us.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
TE is a QBs best friend.... A good one....

I'd like a good developmental center...pretty sure Snisher like the way Rhaney keeps developing...if he's looking good during off-season workouts, they won't draft a center this year....