Why the Rams are successful in finding talent

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Being bored I was simply browsing the roster when I spotted a player that I think typifies how the Rams find talent in all the rounds of the draft and even among the UDFA. Earnest Edwards has a shot at making this roster, perhaps not this year but certainly next year. IMO he exemplifies how the Rams scout. They perhaps more than most organizations spend a lot of time on smaller programs. They are looking for positional traits and intangibles.

Edwards is a bit undersized as a typical WR in the NFL. But his film shows why the Rams signed him. He's got very good speed at a solid 4.4 in the 40 and he has shown he can be very elusive. Edwards is a more polished route runner than you would expect coming out at that level. He often gained separation with his route running, something that is a point of emphasis and a trademark of Ram starting WRs. Also, he's versatile in that he can play Y and Z WR positions, and he can return kicks where his speed and elusiveness come into play. He is also said to be very coachable with a good work ethic.

Josh Reynolds is much like Troy Hill in that his cap hit doesn't justify a reserve player. IMO both could end up on the trading block or simply released. A lot will depend upon how the roster is structured during this abnormal season. If Reynolds doesn't make this roster it will have a significant ripple effect on the depth chart and who makes this team. The reason I mention this is because there are a couple of WRs on the cusp of making this roster.

I could easily see either this year or next year's roster depth chart of:

XWR Woods, Webster (5)
YWR Jefferson, Polk (6)
ZWR Kupp, Edwards (4)

I could see Edwards as becoming the #4 WR with speed and being a solid route runner. If Woods is out I see Jefferson moving to X and Edwards into the slot. What that depth does is gives the WR corps of the Rams good speed across the board and good route running (with the exception of Polk). They will have returners in both Edwards and Polk.

What that would also show is how the Rams were able to find talent by focusing upon traits and polishing those traits into a complete player. I believe that players must show good athleticism, positional versatility, and being coachable. Woods was acquired as a FA but was a second-round pick by Buffalo. Kupp was a third round pick, and Jefferson was taken in the second round. The backups are all UDFA.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Earnest Edwards IV will make this roster...as a kick returner. He doesn't have the route running skills you're saying he does...yet. But he's blazing-fast (he's been clocked at 4.3 flat) and extremely elusive. That's worthy of putting on a roster as a developmental option. However, there's no way he becomes the number four option over Reynolds or even Webster if the Rams do what you say. Webster simply has more experience, and he's a good young player who has a bright future here.

I don't think you trade Reynolds. Like him or not, he'll get the first shot at a starting third receiver job because he's the tallest receiver we have. I like Jefferson, honestly, I do, but Reynolds is the incumbent for a reason; he simply showed up every time someone got hurt, and he's quite fast for a guy his size. He's replacing the veteran deep threat that Cooks provided until he leaves via free agency or loses his job to Jefferson - and even if he does lose his job, he's still fantastic depth.

The undrafted rookie receiver that I'd keep my eye on is Easop Winston Jr. I'm not that impressed with Brandon Polk (who could be a solid practice squad option along with another receiver like Trishton Jackson). Winston, however, really impressed me on tape. He's got sticky hands, advanced route running, and while he isn't the fastest, he's got sneaky speed. He can play any receiver position - X, Y, and Z - played on special teams in his senior year at Washington State, and he's a hard worker himself.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How many more passes does Reynolds need to drop before he becomes expendable? He had his shot to nail down #3 and they used a second-round pick on Jefferson. Second-round picks aren't backups. If they have as much confidence in him as you say they wouldn't have used the Cooks pick on someone to replace him if Josh was the guy.

Josh is a long strider and as such he has difficulty in running crisp routes and separating at the top of his routes. He was in his 3rd year and it's clear he's about all he's going to be which is a backup rotational WR who can only play slot or occasionally Y WR positions. Jefferson can play all 3 WR positions and run the entire route tree of each which can't be said of Reynolds.

Edwards has the elusive style that translates well into running good routes. I said he runs routes better than most coming out at that level. Yes as almost all rookies do, he needs work on the techniques he will need in the NFL. One of those is reading defenses. But IMO in 3 years, Edwards will be a pretty good WR with positional versatility.

Easop Winston is a good WR. That said he needs a ton of work, especially in his running style. He's inconsistent and will get sloppy and it really causes him to lose significant speed. Most of last year he was timing at 4.7 but is capable of running in the 4.4 range when he runs properly. There are other developmental issues that remain as well. A year practicing and improving his style of play and technique will serve him well. He appears to have the motivation to work on his game and that is the important part. He did attend an academy after the season to prep for the draft and his pro day and showed marked improvement in just those few weeks. This is why I'm sure he will develop well with a season of practice and training.

What this all shows is that the Rams are very deep at WR. If they carry 7 IMO Winston would be included. I've seen a lot of UDFA WRs but this is the best overall group I can remember of any team I've followed. Kudos to Snead and McVay.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
How many more passes does Reynolds need to drop before he becomes expendable? He had his shot to nail down #3 and they used a second-round pick on Jefferson. Second-round picks aren't backups. If they have as much confidence in him as you say they wouldn't have used the Cooks pick on someone to replace him if Josh was the guy.

They did use a second round pick on Jefferson, true, but that doesn't guarantee a starting spot. They used the Cooks pick on Jefferson because he was good value and because Reynolds will leave after this year for monetary reasons. There's also the issue of Kupp's and Woods' contracts; I think we only keep one of the two if we're talking 2021. I could see Woods being traded before his contract ends.

Josh is a long strider and as such he has difficulty in running crisp routes and separating at the top of his routes. He was in his 3rd year and it's clear he's about all he's going to be which is a backup rotational WR who can only play slot or occasionally Y WR positions. Jefferson can play all 3 WR positions and run the entire route tree of each which can't be said of Reynolds.

True, he has difficulty with crisp routes, but again, he's the tallest receiver on the roster, has a nice high-point, and a good catching range. That makes him especially useful in the redzone. And um...no, Reynolds can play any spot. He's far from a backup rotational receiver; I can name quite a few teams that would start him, even if they drafted receivers.

Edwards has the elusive style that translates well into running good routes. I said he runs routes better than most coming out at that level. Yes as almost all rookies do, he needs work on the techniques he will need in the NFL. One of those is reading defenses. But IMO in 3 years, Edwards will be a pretty good WR with positional versatility.

Edwards is elusive, and yes, he's quite versatile position-wise, but he needs an absolute fuckton of work when it comes to technique on his routes. A lot of his touchdowns and long gains came from either kick returns or from end-arounds and screens. He's got sky-high potential, especially in kick returns; I would not be shocked to see him become our best kick returner since Tony Horne, almost as good as Devin Hester was. I let him return kicks his first year, and let him learn the position.

Easop Winston is a good WR. That said he needs a ton of work, especially in his running style. He's inconsistent and will get sloppy and it really causes him to lose significant speed. Most of last year he was timing at 4.7 but is capable of running in the 4.4 range when he runs properly. There are other developmental issues that remain as well. A year practicing and improving his style of play and technique will serve him well. He appears to have the motivation to work on his game and that is the important part. He did attend an academy after the season to prep for the draft and his pro day and showed marked improvement in just those few weeks. This is why I'm sure he will develop well with a season of practice and training.

I hate to say this, but you put way too much stock in 40s. Jerry Rice ran a 4.7. Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62. Anquan Boldin ran a 4.71 Forties are not the end-be-all. Winston may not run as fast as Edwards or even Webster, but he's certainly got sneaky long speed. He's also versatile. Yes, he needs work on route running, like most rookie receivers (as you accurately said), but currently, he's much better than Edwards right now.

What this all shows is that the Rams are very deep at WR. If they carry 7 IMO Winston would be included. I've seen a lot of UDFA WRs but this is the best overall group I can remember of any team I've followed. Kudos to Snead and McVay.

I'm certain that they'll carry seven receivers; they drafted very well and signed some solid receiving threats. I wouldn't be surprised if Polk, Jackson, or Koski made noise. And you're right; it's the best I can remember.

Also, while I'm against trading Reynolds, I would happily listen to your suggestion to trade Hill, haha. :D

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Your evaluation is crap !! Talking bad about Reynolds is not the truth from the coaching staff. He almost got resigned for a nice payday. The Rams will get Comp pick for J- smooth(Reynolds)

Your talking about a UDRFA, who has not even stepped on the field.

Talking crap about a young O-Line & Kromer ?? I question your thought process ??

Troy Hill ?? Comp pick. The Rams don’t have enough depth to trade him right now.
I drink the Kool-aide for sure,but let’s be real here.Your dissing solid Ram players who the coaching staff likes & are counting on.
Go look at Yarbers take on Reynolds. He has the 3rd fast route time. He says he doesn’t look fast but has excellent game speed.
I like your view on this players that have a chance to make the roster & are Rams for a minute. EZzz up on THE HATE !!!!
I like Webster as both a return guy & WR. He had a lot of chances to prove himself during the preseason.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This thread is similar to mine of Jamil Demby a couple of years ago and Demby was drafted. Have to be careful with UDFA's, but as Ram fans we remember the London Fletcher's and it's understandable and Edwards has plenty of things to like, but limited action with training camp and with many other factors, IMO, the roster will be made up of chalk this year as opposed to many long shots.

That being posted I believe many of us love looking for someone we like that was signed as an UDFA, it's part of the allure being a fan, but again I believe there will be underlying factors this season that will factor in the roster makeup and some of them might just be being COVID free.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I would love to see the NFL allow a roster size of 70 or so. A lot of guys are going to get fucked out of showing what they have. That way the guys can have a secured job and spend basically a redshirt year learning the playbook and practicing with our guys.

No reason they can't do it. As long as the owners agree to pay them and maybe make them exempt from game time for the year.