Why Tavon is likely to stay healthy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
We all know the favorite story line of Tavon Austin critics, at 69" and 175 LBS, he's too small and will get injured often in the NFL.

While I would normally agree, I don't believe them when it comes to Tavon and here's why:

1) He didn't miss a single high school or college game. That's not a fluke. He knows what and who he is and plays that way. As he says "Get down when I need to get down. Step out of bounds when I need to."

2) He's fast. Very fast. You have to catch him to hit him and you aren't delivering a devastating hit at full speed from behind. You're lucky to swipe an ankle in a dive.

3) He's never where you think. This is his most important attribute. Tackling him is like herding squirrels. You take a line on him, ready to go air-born, and he changes that line. Defenders literally give up on him after they start to feel silly changing directions and missing. They seem to be praying they can herd him out of bounds.

4) He's VERY competitive. He's VERY aware of what critics are saying. I think he will take it personally that he NOT get injured and prove his detractors wrong.

5) The Rams coaches and Bradford are aware too and they won't be sending him into the dreaded "over the middle" well covered death trap.

What say you?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Re: Why Tavon is unlikely to get injured

I agree with all of this. I'd only add that he has amazing vision and that is likely WHY he's never where the defender thinks he's going to be. He always seems to be a step ahead mentally - not just physically.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

Everyone gets hit very hard occasionally. Can his body take it is the question in my mind. CJ seems to be doing OK though.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

RamFan503 said:
I agree with all of this. I'd only add that he has amazing vision and that is likely WHY he's never where the defender thinks he's going to be. He always seems to be a step ahead mentally - not just physically.

You and me are like this ---> * shows crossed fingers *

I thought of making that 6). His head is constantly on a swivel until he's in a blaze for the end zone, then he just pumps his legs like Super Mouse. Lots of Barry Sanders in there.

A55VA6

Legend

I agree. I'm just surprised he hasn't pulled a hammy or anything haha.

I think Tavon will continue to be blessed with good health. THe guy is a smart football player.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

albefree69 said:
Everyone gets hit very hard occasionally. Can his body take it is the question in my mind. CJ seems to be doing OK though.

I had Barry Sanders on my fantasy team two years in a row and watched him every snap. I would tell my friends, if someone touches him, or even looks like they are going to touch him, he goes down like a $2 whor... you know what I mean. The upside was that 1 out of 2 or 3 plays, depending on the D he was playing and his O line that season, he would find daylight and... goodbye.

Tavon has great hands so he has the advantage of not having to penetrate the line as long as he can avoid getting laid out at the line.

Oh, and 7), he can.

The pure and simple for him I believe is not setting him up for the big hit. Especially as a rookie out to prove his worth. I hope, nay, pray, that he is willing to bat down and fake miss throws that will open him to the big hit.

He IS small. That has major advantages in center of gravity moves but you just can't mess up with the coaching and QB decisions on how to negate that.

If Bradford dumps to him in the wrong situation, he needs to know it and not take it. that's the bottom line. Once he's in control. I trust him.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

RamzFanz added:
I had Barry Sanders on my fantasy team two years in a row and watched him every snap. I would tell my friends, if someone touches him, or even looks like they are going to touch him, he goes down like a $2 whor... you know what I mean. The upside was that 1 out of 2 or 3 plays, depending on the D he was playing and his O line that season, he would find daylight and... goodbye.

Tavon has great hands so he has the advantage of not having to penetrate the line as long as he can avoid getting laid out at the line.

Oh, and 7), he can.

The pure and simple for him I believe is not setting him up for the big hit. Especially as a rookie out to prove his worth. I hope, nay, pray, that he is willing to bat down and fake miss throws that will open him to the big hit.

He IS small. That has major advantages in center of gravity moves but you just can't mss up with the coaching and decisions on how to negate that.

Here's hoping your right. Let me add though that the average player weighed considerably less with a commensurate loss in strength and power in Sanders day as compared to today. Sanders didn't play in the steroid era.

I've got all my fingers and toes crossed.

…..

Legend

Laundry on the field....

"After the snap....Personal Foul, albefree69, 15 yards for font interference."

:p

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame

this thread is full of jinx. Lock immediately! LOL

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

I say that regardless of size, who the fuck knows? It is all a crapshoot anywho, as far as injury goes.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

Human sacrifice, Dogs and zebras, living together...mass hysteria! Laundry on the field....:

"After the snap....Personal Foul, albefree69, 15 yards for font interference."

:p

Ignorance is 9/10 of the law. :sure:

wv

Rookie

Well, lets hope they get good enough so that they'll be fine
with or without Tavon.

Maybe add a great DT and RB with the first two picks next year. Or another WR. Or somethin.

w
v

nighttrain

Legend

albefree69 said:
+1 on this Albe, it's the unexpected that gets ya. But from films Tavon does seem to have exceptional vision, which is gonna save him lots of hard knocks
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

wv said:
with or without Tavon.

Maybe add a great DT and RB with the first two picks next year. Or another WR. Or somethin.

w
v
But that's your kin right there. You and Tavon are from West Virginia.
Hey. Does that make you cousins?

"I've got a lot of cousins now."
-- Tavon Austin

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

I'd say he will be fine except for hamstrings and stuff like that..............But there was this thread after Bartel got hurt in 11 that we had plenty more corners. How did that work out?

In his 1st full contact practice he will be helicoptered off the field never to be seen again.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken

You know who Tavon Austin reminds me of?..... For you older generation Eric Metcalf....Similar in height, and weight. Outstanding speed, agility, and vision. There are four parts to this...but you get the point.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wafxQ63iwMg[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTcL2Lg0RcU[/youtube]

Look at the cutting ability....OMG.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AjdiqMDX9k[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UnGwyOg80Q[/youtube]
If Tavon can transition to the NFL like Metcalf......Uh Oh NFL.....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I'd be thrilled if he turned out half as good as Metcalf.

wv

Rookie

X said:
wv said:
with or without Tavon.

w
v

-- Tavon Austin

He wont return my calls for some reason.

w
v

“Mountaineers Are Always Free”
― Motto on the West Virginia State flag

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Ram_Fan said:
You know who Tavon Austin reminds me of?..... For you older generation Eric Metcalf....Similar in height, and weight. Outstanding speed, agility, and vision. There are four parts to this...but you get the point.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wafxQ63iwMg[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTcL2Lg0RcU[/youtube]
Look at the cutting ability....OMG.

If Tavon can transition to the NFL like Metcalf......Uh Oh NFL.....

I'm from CLE and he makes me think of a different Browns player and I mentioned this before.....Greg Pruitt. He has an NFL rule named after him that made something illegal.....can anyone guess what it is for without peeking at The Goog.....

Watch what he does to 22 on the defense at about the 1:40 mark.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQ_JDElmcw[/youtube]

An example of that same kind of sneaky speed that baits a tackler into an angle then it's too late. That is one of the first things I noticed about TA, he gets defenders to commit and then he's "out of the area" in a snap.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u6f5ejg2kM[/youtube]

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

wv said:
X said:
wv said:
with or without Tavon.

w
v

-- Tavon Austin

He wont return my calls for some reason.

w
v

“Mountaineers Are Always Free”
― Motto on the West Virginia State flag

Then ask uncle grandpaw