Why Rams didn't carry over cap space from 2014/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Why Rams didn't carry over cap space from 2014
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/17000/why-rams-didnt-carry-over-cap-space-from-2014

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Over the past few weeks, I've received countless questions about why the St. Louis Rams were the only team not to carry over any salary cap space from 2014 to their 2015 cap space.

The basic answer that I provided was that they simply didn't have much cap space to carry over. The extent of how little I wasn't sure about, but I knew it wasn't much. Apparently, I'm not the only one who has been getting that question on repeat.

Rams chief operating officer Kevin Demoff took to Twitter on Thursday to explain it more clearly.

Kevin Demoff @kdemoff
We finished 2014 with nearly $700,000 of salary cap room and $2m of incentives that had not counted so we did not rollover the $700,000

Rather we used the $700,000 to reduce our incentive netting. The end result is exact same cap amount as if we had rolled remaining room over

As Demoff explained, the Rams had $700,000 in cap space at the end of the season. And the Rams actually had to make a number of tweaks to some deals along the way just to stay under the cap.

In many contracts, there are incentives for performance, health, etc. The Rams had $2 million worth of those that didn't count against last year's cap that rolled over into 2015. So, as you can see, the Rams applied the $700,000 toward offsetting that $2 million cost. That would bring the total still owed against the cap to $1.3 million.

That might leave you asking how they covered the remaining part? Well, the Rams also had a $3 million cap credit coming from the release and subsequent signing of cornerback Cortland Finnegan. When that was applied, it wiped out the remaining $1.3 million and left the Rams with about $1.7 million in cap space as they entered the offseason.

Obviously, those numbers have changed greatly since, but it's also clear there's no conspiracy here as to why the Rams didn't have any carry over.

MFaulk107

The Realness
No matter how many times this is worded........I still have trouble understanding.
Not understanding the "rolled over" part.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

$700,000 - $2,000,000 = -$1,300,000.

-$1,300,000 + $3,000,000 = $1,700,000.

cutting wells, long, langford and trading sam = $gazillion.