Why OL in draft over FA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Like many, I was expecting our OL holes to be filled via veterans in Free Agency. Visions of Hudson, Franklin, and Iupati danced in my head. Why trust an unproven Rook when a known commodity could quickly satiate our thirst for a real OLine? Why didn't the Rams just fix the most obvious problem on the team?

Money, Talent, Future

Next year the Rams will be forced to make expensive decisions on players like Foles, Brockers, Jenkins, Johnson, Zuerline, Barron, Fairley, Cook, and maybe Britt. Tying up money today makes those decisions more difficult later.

There is a veritable plethora of OL riches in this draft. 2014 was a draft for the ages at WR but the same will bear out for Linemen in 2015. If the teams I really despise like the 9ers and Cowboys can build dominant lines through the draft, it's about time the Rams do too. I believe Coach Bou looked at the talent in the FA market vs the Rookie class and preferred the kids.

For a team that has fielded the likes of France, Hill, Saul, Harrah, Slater/ Cowan, Mack, Inman, Scibelli, Brown/ Pace, Nutten, Gruttadauria,Timmerman, Miller/ Pankey, Newberry, Smith, Love, Slater (best OL EVER), it's about time the Rams build an OL that can grow together as a unit and make a case to be on my list.

With that in mind, I would trade down w #10 and end up with a line that sports Robinson, Marpet, Erving, Saffold, Peat. Yeah, I know it would be the youngest OL of all time. I realize the rookie mistakes would result in losses. I hear the cries that this is make or break for Snisher. Foles would get killed. Fisher prefers veterans on the OL. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.... I don't care. My eyes tell me after watching film that this would become in 2016 the second best OLine in Ram history. Would you sacrifice 2015 for that? I think Kroenke would...

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Its a great point cap wise w/ regards to 2016 FAs you listed. Some how I predict C. Long will need a big shaving in order to stay w/ club, because if Fairley continues to make over his body and plays up too his hype its a no brainer he will be higher on the re up list next off season. Love me some C. long but he's getting up their in age. Brockers and Fairley will be a priority in 2016 imho. Westbrook will be a factor in the Long resigning next season too!

I would be dam happy w/ the young talented OL you listed. Though I hope we can get Blaylock as a bridge for a "Marpet"

FRO

Legend
I understand building the line through the draft. It's wise to do so. I also have to point out that it took the second overall pick in the draft weeks before he was ready to start. Aaron Donald the rookie sensation didn't really hit his stride until the first quarter of the season was over. If we start 2-3 rookies we have to be reasonable and expect there to be a growing process. In this division there isn't much room for error. So while I would love to go offensive line early and often, I don't think we can realistically compete for the division by starting a bunch of rookies. Long term it's the right and only move to make though.

I predict the Rams stay in house for C and draft a OG and OT to start.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Honsetly this comes down to we should have building this group through the draft over the last few years. It is an area we have often ignored. In the last 3 years we have draft 4 OL players and drafted 4 RB during the same period. Now this isn't a knock on the talent drafted (I am not complaining about our RBs), but statsitically that seems off... when the O is on the field you will always have 5 OL out there, you might have 2 RB out there. In theory the pick spread should be more like 6-7 OL to 1-2 RB drafted.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Like many, I was expecting our OL holes to be filled via veterans in Free Agency. Visions of Hudson, Franklin, and Iupati danced in my head. Why trust an unproven Rook when a known commodity could quickly satiate our thirst for a real OLine? Why didn't the Rams just fix the most obvious problem on the team?

Money, Talent, Future

Next year the Rams will be forced to make expensive decisions on players like Foles, Brockers, Jenkins, Johnson, Zuerline, Barron, Fairley, Cook, and maybe Britt. Tying up money today makes those decisions more difficult later.

There is a veritable plethora of OL riches in this draft. 2014 was a draft for the ages at WR but the same will bear out for Linemen in 2015. If the teams I really despise like the 9ers and Cowboys can build dominant lines through the draft, it's about time the Rams do too. I believe Coach Bou looked at the talent in the FA market vs the Rookie class and preferred the kids.

For a team that has fielded the likes of France, Hill, Saul, Harrah, Slater/ Cowan, Mack, Inman, Scibelli, Brown/ Pace, Nutten, Gruttadauria,Timmerman, Miller/ Pankey, Newberry, Smith, Love, Slater (best OL EVER), it's about time the Rams build an OL that can grow together as a unit and make a case to be on my list.

With that in mind, I would trade down w #10 and end up with a line that sports Robinson, Marpet, Erving, Saffold, Peat. Yeah, I know it would be the youngest OL of all time. I realize the rookie mistakes would result in losses. I hear the cries that this is make or break for Snisher. Foles would get killed. Fisher prefers veterans on the OL. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.... I don't care. My eyes tell me after watching film that this would become in 2016 the second best OLine in Ram history. Would you sacrifice 2015 for that? I think Kroenke would...

IMO, it shouldn't be an either or situation. It should be both free agency and the NFL Draft.

When free agency is mentioned, immediately the attention shifts towards the big names (Hudson, Franklin, Iupati, etc.. ) who typically get vastly overpaid during the first phase. But, there are other lesser named capable free agents who can come in and be effective while younger players develop.

BTW, every year, I've noticed that one would be hard pressed to find a organization or it's fanbase that doesn't want their team to trade down. Meanwhile the trading partner needed wanted to trade up seem few and far in between. If that's what the Rams want to do, I hope they can find a partner who doesn't make too lowball of an offer.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
leoram preaching to the choir:
There is a veritable plethora of OL riches in this draft. 2014 was a draft for the ages at WR but the same will bear out for Linemen in 2015.

With that in mind, I would trade down w #10 and end up with a line that sports Robinson, Marpet, Erving, Saffold,
Great post leo. (y)

While I agree with what you're saying here I do have a little nit to pick with your stance on FA. Not wanting to invest a lot of money in FA players is OK and I see your point there BUT...no matter how good this draft is for O-line personnel, we don't have enough picks to get 3 starters AND depth. I think we can sign some FAs at salaries that won't have a large negative impact on the retention of our in-house talent in the future. Whether it's front loading the contracts with all the guaranteed money or just signing them for money that's at or close to the vet minimum.

Do you think we have good depth? I don't. If none of our reserves were good enough to outplay Wells and Joseph then we essentially had no reserves. Not counting the injured players like Rhaney of course.

Barnes? Barely adequate depth.

Barrett? I'm not sure he's even good depth because even after he got healthy last year he couldn't beat out Joseph or Wells and I refuse to listen to talk about how he was still recovering from his back surgery because you don't put players on the field (he did play some special teams towards the end) unless they are completely recovered. Unable to build up his strength because of the surgery? There's zero evidence that getting stronger will turn the corner for him.

Person? No evidence he's even adequate depth even though he's listed as the backup for GR, Barks, and Joseph on our depth chart. He's been with the Rams for several years and can't beat out Barks or Joseph? Please.

Washington? A 6th round pick in 2012 and he's yet to play a game. The bottom of our depth barrel.

Reynolds? Our only proven backup. What's the difference between him and GR/Blalock? We need more just like him. At the right price.

Rhaney? A complete unknown. A 7th ROUND draft pick so what are the chances?

Last edited:

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great post leo. (y)

While I agree with what you're saying here I do have a little nit to pick with your stance on FA. Not wanting to invest a lot of money in FA players is OK and I see your point there BUT...no matter how good this draft is for O-line personnel, we don't have enough picks to get 3 starters AND depth. I think we can sign some FAs at salaries that won't have a large negative impact on the retention of our in-house talent in the future. Whether it's front loading the contracts with all the guaranteed money or just signing them for money that's at or close to the vet minimum.

Do you think we have good depth? I don't. If none of our reserves were good enough to outplay Wells and Joseph then we essentially had no reserves. Not counting the injured players like Rhaney of course.

Barnes? Barely adequate depth.

Barrett? I'm not sure he's even good depth because even after he got healthy last year he couldn't beat out Joseph or Wells and I refuse to listen to talk about how he was still recovering from his back surgery because you don't put players on the field (he did play some special teams towards the end) unless they are completely recovered. Unable to build up his strength because of the surgery? There's zero evidence that getting stronger will turn the corner for him.

Person? No evidence he's even adequate depth even though he's listed as the backup for GR, Barks, and Joseph on our depth chart. He's been with the Rams for several years and can't beat out Barks or Joseph? Please.

Washington? A 6th round pick in 2012 and he's yet to play a game. The bottom of our depth barrel.

Reynolds? Our only proven backup. What's the difference between him and GR/Blalock? We need more just like him. At the right price.

Rhaney? A complete unknown. A 7th ROUND draft pick so what are the chances?

Mike Person signed with the Falcons so our depth is even worse than you mentioned.

My focus in this post was on starters. Every starter I proposed is capable of playing multiple positions. While this flexibility helps the depth issue, you are correct that it doesn't solve it. Two more inexpensive vets make sense.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My eyes tell me after watching film that this would become in 2016 the second best OLine in Ram history. Would you sacrifice 2015 for that? I think Kroenke would...
I greedy, I want both 2015 & 2016!
Westbrook will be a factor in the Long resigning next season too!
I didn't realize Long's contract was up next year! Is that what your saying, IDK!? I think he's already restructured it once, if I'm not mistaken.

I would be dam happy w/ the young talented OL you listed. Though I hope we can get Blaylock as a bridge for a "Marpet"
" From your Lips to God's Ears!!!!"

Alan

Legend
:LOL: I meant to type: Barks/Blalock. I hope there's a huge difference between GR and Reynolds.:unsure: :cautious:

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I greedy, I want both 2015 & 2016!
I didn't realize Long's contract was up next year! Is that what your saying, IDK!? I think he's already restructured it once, if I'm not mistaken.

" From your Lips to God's Ears!!!!"
ya next season is 16.75 (i think) so he will need to redo again or possibly cut him

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think I just read on another post it's 12.75 in 2016!?!

CURRENT CONTRACT
Chris Long signed a 4 year, $48,200,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including a $6,050,000 signing bonus, $23,550,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,050,000. In 2015, Long will earn a base salary of $7,000,000 and a roster bonus of $3,000,000. Long has a cap hit of $12,500,000 while his dead money value is $8,000,000.

CONTRACT:4 yr(s) / $48,200,000SIGNING BONUS$6,050,000AVERAGE SALARY$12,050,000GUARANTEED:$23,550,000FREE AGENT:2017 / UFA
YearBase SalaryRoster BonusOption BonusRestruc. BonusMisc.Cap HitDead Cap
rams2.png
$10,310,000-$4,500,000$6,050,000$-1,852,500$19,007,500-
rams2.png
$7,050,000--$1,500,000-$8,550,000$13,250,000
rams2.png
$10,200,000$200,000-$2,500,000-$12,900,000$17,900,000
rams2.png
$7,000,000$3,000,000-$2,500,000-$12,500,000$8,000,000
rams2.png
$9,750,000$2,000,000-$2,500,000-$14,250,000$2,500,000
rams2.png
UFA
Contract Notes:
  • $36.76 million guaranteed (Signing Bonus: + 2012-13 salaries)
  • 2015-16 Roster Bonus: $2 million
  • 2013 Restructure Bonus: $6 million
  • 2014 Roster Bonus: $200,000
  • 2014 Restructure: $3M/3 years
Sources: NFL contract specifics generally collected from the NFLPA, Rotoworld, & OTC.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Alrighty then. We agree next year we will have major cap concerns. That is the issue with good teams...a non-issue in recent Ram history.

But the Long contract re-enforces my first tenant. Fixing the OLine with rookies is financially responsible, a better hedge against injury, and finally the time to begin a longstanding gel of young talent that exists on every other Ram corps.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Alrighty then. We agree next year we will have major cap concerns. That is the issue with good teams...a non-issue in recent Ram history.

But the Long contract re-enforces my first tenant. Fixing the OLine with rookies is financially responsible, a better hedge against injury, and finally the time to begin a longstanding gel of young talent that exists on every other Ram corps.
Financially responsible? Yes.

But a nightmare on gameday if they fail to meet expectations. ie. Some rookies need time to develop and some never pan out at all.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
CURRENT CONTRACT
Chris Long signed a 4 year, $48,200,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including a $6,050,000 signing bonus, $23,550,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,050,000. In 2015, Long will earn a base salary of $7,000,000 and a roster bonus of $3,000,000. Long has a cap hit of $12,500,000 while his dead money value is $8,000,000.

CONTRACT:4 yr(s) / $48,200,000SIGNING BONUS$6,050,000AVERAGE SALARY$12,050,000GUARANTEED:$23,550,000FREE AGENT:2017 / UFA
YearBase SalaryRoster BonusOption BonusRestruc. BonusMisc.Cap HitDead Cap
rams2.png
$10,310,000-$4,500,000$6,050,000$-1,852,500$19,007,500-
rams2.png
$7,050,000--$1,500,000-$8,550,000$13,250,000
rams2.png
$10,200,000$200,000-$2,500,000-$12,900,000$17,900,000
rams2.png
$7,000,000$3,000,000-$2,500,000-$12,500,000$8,000,000
rams2.png
$9,750,000$2,000,000-$2,500,000-$14,250,000$2,500,000
rams2.png
UFA
Contract Notes:
  • $36.76 million guaranteed (Signing Bonus: + 2012-13 salaries)
  • 2015-16 Roster Bonus: $2 million
  • 2013 Restructure Bonus: $6 million
  • 2014 Roster Bonus: $200,000
  • 2014 Restructure: $3M/3 years
Sources: NFL contract specifics generally collected from the NFLPA, Rotoworld, & OTC.
Thanks for research that, and clearing it up for me!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Financially responsible? Yes.

But a nightmare on gameday if they fail to meet expectations. ie. Some rookies need time to develop and some never pan out at all.

I understand and agree. But I'm old enough to see the big picture. Like everyone else, I want to relive 1999. But I know better. The way this team is built, we CAN be top 10 in defense and top 20 in offense. All we need is OLine help.

Last edited: