Why Nick Foles should start this Sunday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL

That is not a viable solution. Struggling offenses continue to struggle after going with that "solution". Simplifying the offense does not work. It will just make the defenses job easier.

If you don't believe me maybe you will believe a talented DB who is in the same division
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-49ers---simplified--pass-game-010253708.html
That is what happens when you simplify the offense. Defenses will have an easier job.
The Patriots have outright refused to simplify their offense, when many were calling for that because so many WRs were struggling to pick it up. That is one of the main reasons why they have such a good offense.

And the Colts ran arguably the simplest offense in the NFL during their time with Peyton Manning. An offense that was entirely predicated on execution.

A blanket statement that simplifying the offense does not work is inaccurate. It works in some cases. It doesn't work in others. Complex offenses work in some cases and don't work in others. Stop speaking in generalities.

How did the Amazing Aaron Rodgers look against the Bears defense? NOT better than Foles.

Except for the fact that Rodgers's performance was both statistically superior and more impressive if you actually bothered to watch the game.

Looks like it's Foles at QB vs. Bengals
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_72fc15d3-a5d9-57ee-85ba-fe975298c993.html

It looks like the benching of Rams quarterback Nick Foles will be short-lived.

That’s because Friday came and went at Rams Park with Case Keenum yet to clear the NFL’s concussion protocol.

“Unless we get good news (Saturday), then Nick will be our starter,” coach Jeff Fisher said following Friday’s practice. “If Case is completely cleared and he feels good, then he’ll start. But as it is right now, it’s looking like we’re going to potentially have to go with Nick.”

Usually, if players don’t clear the concussion protocol by Friday, they don’t play Sunday. Given the national attention over Keenum’s concussion, and the fact he wasn’t removed from the Baltimore game, why risk playing him Sunday against Cincinnati? Especially if he’s come so close to game day without passing the series of tests and examinations that comprise the concussion protocol.

“There will be some more tests that are done (Saturday),” Fisher said. “We’re not going to subject him to any risk whatsoever.”

Keenum was officially listed as questionable on the team’s injury report Friday, with limited participation. Keenum did take repetitions with the starting offense in 11-on-11, or “team” situations, but Foles got most of the reps Friday.

“They were a little bit uneven today, but they split them equally Wednesday,” Fisher said. “So, we just have to wait to see how the protocol sorts itself out and how he feels (Saturday).”

Keenum wasn’t sharp before the injury in Sunday’s 16-13 loss at Baltimore, with several underthrown or otherwise off-target passes against the Ravens. With just over a minute to play and the score tied 13-13, Keenum bumped his head on the M&T Bank Stadium Turf on a sack by Ravens defensive lineman Timmy Jernigan.

Keenum held his hands behind his helmet for several seconds while still on the ground, and then didn’t get up right away when teammate Garrett Reynolds offered a hand to help him up.

Rams head athletic trainer Reggie Scott briefly checked on Keenum while officials sorted out and then marked off a penalty on the play, but Keenum stayed in the contest for the Rams’ final two offensive plays.

The incident set of a firestorm of criticism as to why Keenum stayed in the game, and why the NFL’s injury spotter didn’t signal for a medical timeout to have physicians check out Keenum on the sideline. Fisher subsequently said he was not aware that Keenum had suffered a concussion until after the game.

While Keenum was working his way through the protocol, Fisher said Foles had “a great week” of practice.

“He seized the opportunity. ...” Fisher said. “He loves the game plan and he’s ready to play. I think our offense understands where the challenges are, and we need to score points. Nick’s excited about the opportunity if he plays.”

Foles was benched after another subpar outing two weeks ago in a blowout loss to Chicago. At the time Fisher said Foles just needed to step back from the game for a while and regroup. While saying that Keenum would not have a short leash, Fisher told Foles that he would play again at some point.

No one could’ve known at the time that Foles would end up having less than two weeks to step back and regroup.

“Watching Case and looking through a different lens, you learn a lot through the experience,” Foles said Friday. “I’ve been preparing the same as I’ve always been. If you’re going to play quarterback, you always have to prepare like you’re starting. You’re always ready to go if your number is called.”

No stranger to the concussion protocol, Foles said he went through it a couple of years ago in Philadelphia and wasn’t able to play the following week.

“Case seems great,” Foles said. “He’s continuing to go through the protocol and that’s part of it. He’s just got to go through the protocol.”

Keenum was not made available to the media this week. If Keenum isn’t cleared to play, rookie Sean Mannion of Oregon State will dress as the backup quarterback against the Bengals. Mannion has been on the Rams’ pregame inactive list the previous 10 games of 2015.

“I’m always ready,” Foles said. “Since I’ve been here, I’ve been ready to play and that hasn’t changed. Throughout what’s happened I’ve always remained (ready). I’ve been enjoying watching Case. I think the world of Case and how he prepares and how he is as a player.”

Prior to his benching, Foles’ completion percentage dropped in each of his past three games. He has thrown only one touchdown pass over his past four starts.

Whether just one game on the bench is enough to restore his battered psyche and bruised body remains to be seen.

“It’s not like I turn it on or turn it off,” Foles said. “I just stay ready.”

If he indeed gets the start at Paul Brown Stadium, Foles said, “I’m going to be the same Nick, and hopefully just play better. You want to go in there and play better, get a win, play efficient on offense, and get drives going. That’s the goal.”

With Tuesday’s shooting of wide receiver Stedman Bailey in the Miami area, and the jolt that sent through the team, Foles hasn’t had the time or inclination to engage in self-pity.

“We’ve had a lot of emotions here with Stedman,” Foles said. “I think that’s the big thing. Our prayers are with Sted. When one of your brothers goes through something like that, you’re just thankful for what you have and just saying our prayers for him.

“Going out and playing for him is important. When you step on the field and I step in that huddle, I’m so used to seeing him there.”

But an 8-2 Cincinnati team, smarting from back-to-back losses, and fighting for playoff position, isn’t about to feel sorry for Foles and the Rams.

“They’re a great team,” Foles said. “Obviously, one of the best teams in the NFL right now. Defensively, their front is pretty impressive with what they’re able to do. Secondary is going to try and disguise different things. ... I think the key to us is — it’s always — staying inside the chains. If we do get to third down, make sure it’s third and manageable.”

==============

For fucks sake, you benched the guy for a fucking reason. Just start Mannion if Keenum isn't ready. Let us see if this kid is the future.

maximus

Rookie
Too bad there is only one Payton Manning

Rodgers 22/43 202yards 4.7average Foles 17/36 200yards 5.6average
Wow so much superior statistically was Rodgers. LOL So much impressive that he averaged almost a whole yard less per
completion.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I call it a gimmick because that is what it is. Reading comprehension? I did not say got out in the middle of the season
to get the #1 WR and #1 TE. DRAFT them. The secret is the defenses won't take long to figure out the gimmick, that is
why top offenses do not go with it.
Good thing we only have 6 games left before we figure it out....
I agreed with your point about Rodgers, with his WR playing poorly and has Oline caving in, he wasnt the Rodgers you would expect. Then our trains took different paths. Green Bay rols Rodgers out. A lot. And you can bet your azz they will schemed up some differnt plays this week based off the deficiency from that game.
We all agree that we need improved TE and WR but the point here was whether Foles or Keenum would start. And since we all agree that we cant get new WR and TE during the season, how are you suggesting that Foles makes them better?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Blake Bortles
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr
Zach Mettenberger
E.J. Manuel
Mike Glennon
Geno Smith
Matt McGloin
Andrew Luck
Brandon Weeden
Ryan Tannehill
Robert Griffin III
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles
Cam Newton
Andy Dalton
Christian Ponder
Blaine Gabbert

In the past 5 years (counting this year), 20 rookie QBs have managed to start 6+ games. Can anyone tell me why these guys could do it but Sean Mannion is incapable? What about Mannion makes him so easily breakable?

What system did Mannion run in college? A pro style system.
How many years did Mannion start in college? 4 years.
How many games did Mannion start in college? 43 games.
Did Mannion play under a former NFL Head Coach in college? Yes.
Does Mannion have NFL caliber tools? Yes.
Does Mannion have NFL caliber size? Absolutely.

So I'm a bit confused here...he played under a former NFL Head Coach in a pro style system as the starter for 4 years. He played behind some bad OLs in college. As a senior, he lacked talented WRs. He's 6'6" 230+. What about Sean Mannion indicates that he's incapable of handling this?

Why were those other guys capable of stepping onto a NFL field as a rookie and Mannion can't? Is he too fragile mentally? Is he too fragile physically? It can't be that he's less prepared than those guys.

I'm sorry but these claims that we'll ruin Mannion's career by playing him make no sense to me. The guy isn't an inexperienced project. He was drafted as an experienced passer that ran a pro style system in college. He's not a small guy. He can handle starting 6 games. Didn't the Rams draft him partially because of how intelligent the guy is? If he's that intelligent, he should have the system down by now. It's time he steps in and plays.
This is just a flat out great post. I've been pretty much digging my heels in that he shouldnt start/play but thats why I like reading other points of view.
I totally agree with what you're saying. 4 year starter in a pro set.
Sure his reps have been low, but its not like hes been sitting in a vaccum for 3 months. You'd think that they repped him up good this week. If Foles falters, let the kid play. IIRC the Rams traded for Jim Everett and he played like 2 weeks later and never looked back.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Alot of college QB's are only good at that level . Ow many Heisman winners have failed big time at the next level ?
Your statement is true but what does that have to do with his arm strength? You don't get that record without a good arm.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Blake Bortles
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr
Zach Mettenberger
E.J. Manuel
Mike Glennon
Geno Smith
Matt McGloin
Andrew Luck
Brandon Weeden
Ryan Tannehill
Robert Griffin III
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles
Cam Newton
Andy Dalton
Christian Ponder
Blaine Gabbert

In the past 5 years (counting this year), 20 rookie QBs have managed to start 6+ games. Can anyone tell me why these guys could do it but Sean Mannion is incapable? What about Mannion makes him so easily breakable?

What system did Mannion run in college? A pro style system.
How many years did Mannion start in college? 4 years.
How many games did Mannion start in college? 43 games.
Did Mannion play under a former NFL Head Coach in college? Yes.
Does Mannion have NFL caliber tools? Yes.
Does Mannion have NFL caliber size? Absolutely.

So I'm a bit confused here...he played under a former NFL Head Coach in a pro style system as the starter for 4 years. He played behind some bad OLs in college. As a senior, he lacked talented WRs. He's 6'6" 230+. What about Sean Mannion indicates that he's incapable of handling this?

Why were those other guys capable of stepping onto a NFL field as a rookie and Mannion can't? Is he too fragile mentally? Is he too fragile physically? It can't be that he's less prepared than those guys.

I'm sorry but these claims that we'll ruin Mannion's career by playing him make no sense to me. The guy isn't an inexperienced project. He was drafted as an experienced passer that ran a pro style system in college. He's not a small guy. He can handle starting 6 games. Didn't the Rams draft him partially because of how intelligent the guy is? If he's that intelligent, he should have the system down by now. It's time he steps in and plays.
I'm not saying they would ruin Mannion by playing him this season. I only want him to have a year to walk the sideline and learn. The O-line could ruin him if he is constantly getting pounded so if we do feel like he may be our future, I don't see it as wise to put him in behind a patchwork O-line made up of 2nd and 3rd string rookies. That's all.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

The thing that separates everyone on your list is the first (for the vast majority of them) reps during OTAs & Training camp that they got, in addition to the lack of reps during the season. McGloin might be the only one on the list that started the off season like Mannion, that is getting 3rd team reps. I think because of that he is woefully less prepared

I also think Fisher would lose the locker room (defense) by starting Mannion now. we may think the season is over now but they do not. I could see starting him if the lose the next 2 or 3 games, but not now.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Start Mannion

If Keenum can't go he'll be inactive and Mannion promotes to number for tomorrow. I wouldn't mind getting a look at him to see if he's got what it takes. Even if he screws up. Its not like playoffs are realistic. So I say why not?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not saying they would ruin Mannion by playing him this season. I only want him to have a year to walk the sideline and learn. The O-line could ruin him if he is constantly getting pounded so if we do feel like he may be our future, I don't see it as wise to put him in behind a patchwork O-line made up of 2nd and 3rd string rookies. That's all.

In 6 games? It took David Carr a lot longer than that behind far worse OLs.

Too bad there is only one Payton Manning

Rodgers 22/43 202yards 4.7average Foles 17/36 200yards 5.6average
Wow so much superior statistically was Rodgers. LOL So much impressive that he averaged almost a whole yard less per
completion.

Just gets more and more hilarious. Whenever you're corrected, there's always some excuse, justification, or explanation. And it's even better that you post the one stat that favors Foles and omit the ones that favor Rodgers. :LOL:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
In 6 games? It took David Carr a lot longer than that behind far worse OLs.
Probably not. But I am not seeing as much upside in potentially shaking his confidence either. If they play him - fine. If not - fine. I'm actually warming to the idea of at least getting him out there to get some real snaps. I'd also be fine if they waited until next year too.

I suppose it would depend to me as to how they view him. If they consider him a very likely candidate for the starting role, I would wait until next season. I don't see him being a huge upgrade this season so I would like to see him have a fresh start.

But like I said, I'd be fine either way and I would be excited to see him play if they went that route.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Probably not. But I am not seeing as much upside in potentially shaking his confidence either. If they play him - fine. If not - fine. I'm actually warming to the idea of at least getting him out there to get some real snaps. I'd also be fine if they waited until next year too.

I suppose it would depend to me as to how they view him. If they consider him a very likely candidate for the starting role, I would wait until next season. I don't see him being a huge upgrade this season so I would like to see him have a fresh start.

But like I said, I'd be fine either way and I would be excited to see him play if they went that route.

If they consider him that, it doesn't make sense to wait. They can't sit on their hands this off-season with the QB position if Mannion hasn't shown anything at the NFL level.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If they consider him that, it doesn't make sense to wait. They can't sit on their hands this off-season with the QB position if Mannion hasn't shown anything at the NFL level.
Then they better get him some reps in a hurry. Throwing him in there when he has had very little time with the starters is not a recipe for success. I personally think it is too late in the season to put him in as the starter. I wouldn't mind seeing him get some snaps here and there. I just don't think you can throw him in there at this point of the season unless you have no real choice or you think he is far and away better than your other options you've been giving reps to all year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Personally, I've always wanted the Rams to draft a QB and let him sit a couple/few years like Rodgers did behind Favre. Now we have one and we wanna rush him out there and let him take his licks even though he rarely (if ever) takes 1st team reps in practice? Just to see what he can do? I'll tell you right now what he can do. He can be as good as Foles or Keenum if he's lucky. At worst, he'll turn the ball over multiple times. I don't know what makes anyone think that Mannion is some diamond in the rough who can get more out of this offense than two veterans have been able to up to this point.

This is Thaddeus Lewis syndrome all over again.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Personally, I've always wanted the Rams to draft a QB and let him sit a couple/few years like Rodgers did behind Favre. Now we have one and we wanna rush him out there and let him take his licks even though he rarely (if ever) takes 1st team reps in practice? Just to see what he can do? I'll tell you right now what he can do. He can be as good as Foles or Keenum if he's lucky. At worst, he'll turn the ball over multiple times. I don't know what makes anyone think that Mannion is some diamond in the rough who can get more out of this offense than two veterans have been able to up to this point.

This is Thaddeus Lewis syndrome all over again.
Personally - I think the difference between he and TL is that Mannion has NFL talent. I could be wrong. But still I don't like the idea of putting him in as the starter at this point in the season unless you think he could come in and outclass what you have. And if the coaches thought that, he'd already be in there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Personally - I think the difference between he and TL is that Mannion has NFL talent. I could be wrong. But still I don't like the idea of putting him in as the starter at this point in the season unless you think he could come in and outclass what you have. And if the coaches thought that, he'd already be in there.
He certainly has an NFL build, but I wasn't impressed with his preseason games. But you're right. If the coaches thought (or saw) that he had the promise to be better than the guys we're trotting out there now, he'd probably be playing already. And this is a cool discussion and all, but I'll venture a guess that everyone here knows that Mannion isn't seeing the field unless something devastating happens to one of our QBs. Or both.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Actually we don't play them for a couple weeks. But I get your point. A bengal tiger is more ferocious than a lion. :eek:

More of a reference of "Feeding Christians to the Lions." But the Rams do play Detroit so maybe then.;)