Why Nick Foles should start this Sunday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Starting Foles or Mannion would be complete unconditional surrender. Case is the only QB with the legs to even possibly survive this week. If they don't have plans for releasing the ball in 1.5 seconds, it's all meaningless anyways.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
how does Foles resemble an NFL QB? he's tall. and can throw a long ball, with no accuracy. that's it.
I didn't say he did , but Keenum is not the answer . Austin Davis is twice as good .

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
how does Foles resemble an NFL QB? he's tall. and can throw a long ball, with no accuracy. that's it.

That makes him +2 over Keenum at this point...Keenum will get another chance(s)..We'll know a lot more a few weeks down the road, if he's cleared to play and the O line doesn't get him killed...I was really disappointed in how weak his arm appeared to be..

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
And you're saying what? Keenum threw the ball to the LOS on most of his passes? Other QBs don't get that added to their stats? YAC isn't improved by where a QB places the ball?

If he doesn't have a great arm then it had to be yards after catch, right?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If he doesn't have a great arm then it had to be yards after catch, right?
Did you watch any of his college highlights? I'm not saying he has some super strong arm. Heck, I even said it looked like Austin's was stronger when they were throwing side by side. But writing off his accomplishment as simply YAC is a little weak unless you actually formed that impression from watching him play. I watched a fair amount of tape on Case in College and I didn't come away thinking he had a weak arm. Also, I don't remember an inordinate number of short passes turned into long gains. He had some really wide open receivers down field a lot of times but he seemed to hit them where the pass needed to be.

Ballhawk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Did you watch any of his college highlights? I'm not saying he has some super strong arm. Heck, I even said it looked like Austin's was stronger when they were throwing side by side. But writing off his accomplishment as simply YAC is a little weak unless you actually formed that impression from watching him play. I watched a fair amount of tape on Case in College and I didn't come away thinking he had a weak arm. Also, I don't remember an inordinate number of short passes turned into long gains. He had some really wide open receivers down field a lot of times but he seemed to hit them where the pass needed to be.

Nope, don't know anything about him except what I saw in the game on Sunday and that wasn't good. He was better than Foles though!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Nope, don't know anything about him except what I saw in the game on Sunday and that wasn't good. He was better than Foles though!
Yeah - Marginally. Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to hype him. I of course hope he absolutely starts lighting it up but I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully he does his job and gets the balls into open receivers' hands enough to help us win games.

FrankenRam

Starter
Foles has been downright awful his last few outings...but I still have good memories of the Arizona game and Seattle game.

As hard as it's been to watch Foles lately...I don't have faith in Keenum at all. I realize I'm in the minority and Fisher already said he was going with Keenum if healthy...so I'll just root for whomever is under center and say some prayers.

Agree...mostly. I do think Foles should sit at least another game or 2. I'd like to think that maybe some of his struggles were the result of him pressing to make something happen. It would not surprise me if he were putting a lot of pressure on himself to prove Chip wrong in trading him. And when things didn't happen the way he hoped immediately, that the flaws in his game just snowballed. And now needs some time to regroup and learn that he has to play within his ability and not try to win the game single-handedly. I just find it a little hard to believe that the 27/2 season w/ the Iggles was purely the result of the Chipster's (not) mega-innovative offense.

While I certainly wouldn't propose he is 'the guy', I also think it's possible there's at least an Alex Smith level QB in there somewhere. Or maybe I'm all wet and wishing on a star in a dream wrapped in too much hope.

Ballhawk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Yeah - Marginally. Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to hype him. I of course hope he absolutely starts lighting it up but I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully he does his job and gets the balls into open receivers' hands enough to help us win games.
I do hope that Keenum can get it together but I guess that he has to get over that concussion first. He really took a nasty a nasty hit.
Foles is beat up and has the yips. No knowing how long it will take to get his confidence and his faith in the Oline back.
Might not happen this year.:(

maximus

Rookie
How did the Amazing Aaron Rodgers look against the Bears defense? NOT better than Foles.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
012614-foles-nick-600.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How did the Amazing Aaron Rodgers look against the Bears defense? NOT better than Foles.
Was going to post the same thing.
I would like to see Keenum start this week *if* he's healthy enough and *if* they commit to some of the plays they used successfully when they moved the pocket.
If we do go back to Foles I think they need to focus on what he does best. Neither qb is without fault but the system they play in is more suspect than they are.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
*if* they commit to some of the plays they used successfully when they moved the pocket.
That's the key, IMO. Cut the field (and his reads) down to half and move his launch point. And I think that play where he improvised by rolling out and finding Cunningham on the other side of the field last week should be designed and written back into the play book. Those kinds of delayed releases always have a receiver free somewhere. He did it by accident and it netted a huge gain. Make it happen on purpose a few times now and let's do that again.

maximus

Rookie
That's the key, IMO. Cut the field (and his reads) down to half and move his launch point. And I think that play where he improvised by rolling out and finding Cunningham on the other side of the field last week should be designed and written back into the play book. Those kinds of delayed releases always have a receiver free somewhere. He did it by accident and it netted a huge gain. Make it happen on purpose a few times now and let's do that again.

Gimmicks which won't last for long. Cut the field in half for the offense means the D will have to cover half of the field.
There is a reason why top offenses don't do that. That Cunnningham play, the D's will be prepared for it after some time.

This offense needs a stud #1 WR and #1 TE, both NOT with stone hands, more than anything.
If the Rams had them, they wouldn't have to resort to gimmicks to make plays.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Gimmicks which won't last for long. Cut the field in half for the offense means the D will have to cover half of the field.
There is a reason why top offenses don't do that. That Cunnningham play, the D's will be prepared for it after some time.

This offense needs a stud #1 WR and #1 TE, both NOT with stone hands, more than anything.
If the Rams had them, they wouldn't have to resort to gimmicks to make plays.
Brilliant.

Not only do you call a popular scheme to account for struggling offenses a gimmick, but you suggest we go out and get a stud TE and stud WR halfway through the season as a means to boost the offensive production. I think that falls under the category of fantasy. And no, it doesn't mean the D will have to cover half the field. It only means that the QB doesn't have to read the entire field. There will still be offensive players on the other half of the field that defenses will have to cover. For you see, the secret is not telling the defense which side of the field you'll be rolling out ... to.

Last edited: