Why Josh Gordon is NFL's Best WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10133696/why-josh-gordon-nfl-best-wr

nfl_a_gordon_gb1_576x324.jpg

Aqib Talib is not an easy guy to burn.

One of the premier cornerbacks in the league this season, Talib of the New England Patriots has defended or intercepted 1.5 passes per game, best among any player with at least five games played.

Talib's 2013 résumé includes limiting some of the top weapons in the NFL. A.J. Green, Vincent Jackson, Steve Smith, Jimmy Graham and Demaryius Thomas all failed to reach five catches or 62 yards receiving against the Patriots, largely because of Talib.

His assignment for much of this past Sunday was Browns receiver Josh Gordon, the newly minted first player in NFL history to record back-to-back games with at least 200 receiving yards, according to Elias Sports Bureau. Gordon vs. Talib was a compelling matchup within the game, and it was largely a draw at halftime.

At 1:37 of the third quarter, that was no longer the case. Gordon's outside-in slant route created almost 2 yards of separation between him and Talib. Gordon turned a 9-yard Jason Campbellthrow into an 80-yard touchdown, highlighting every facet of why Gordon is currently the best receiver in the league -- especially considering with whom he's playing.

Why Gordon is the best

Gordon's 127.3 yards per game average is the highest in NFL history among players with at least nine games played. He leads the league with 1,400 receiving yards despite having been suspended for the first two games of the season.

Josh Gordon among NFL's elite
2013 NFL season

CategoryStatisticNFL Rank
Yards PG127.31st
Yds/Target11.91st
YAC/Rec8.31st
YA Contact/Rec2.82nd*
*Calvin Johnson, 2.8

Gordon has 24 receptions of at least 20 yards, four more than anyone else. His 80-yard touchdown against the Patriots was no isolated incident, as Gordon's seven touchdowns of at least 20 yards ties Antonio Brown for the league lead. Only 11 other players have even half of that.

The Browns certainly have needed to throw. They have run 183 plays in the fourth quarter while trailing, sixth most in the league. As a result, Gordon also leads the league in fourth-quarter receiving yards (439). Only Jerricho Cotchery has more touchdown catches when his team is trailing (seven) than Gordon (six).

It certainly isn't Gordon's fault his team is trailing, but he has reaped the benefits -- a feat made all the more impressive by the shortcomings of his teammates.

Lackluster play from teammates

Gordon is the only receiver in the top 50 in receiving yards who has had at least 20 targets from three quarterbacks this season (Brandon Weeden, Campbell and Brian Hoyer). Browns quarterbacks have completed 60.2 percent of targets to Gordon this season, a higher percentage than to all other players (60.1) despite Gordon's average target being 7.5 yards deeper than everyone else's.

For comparison's sake, look at the quarterbacks for Gordon, and some of the league's top receivers when targeting each player's supporting cast (chart below): Brandon Marshall, A.J. Green, Demaryius Thomas, Vincent Jackson, Larry Fitzgerald, Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, Pierre Garcon, Antonio Brown and Andre Johnson.

QBs Targeting Non-Marquee WRs
2013 NFL season

TeamComp pctYds/Att
Denver Broncos68.97.9
Dallas Cowboys65.86.8
Arizona Cardinals65.37.5
Chicago Bears64.87.4
Cincinnati Bengals64.26.8
Pittsburgh Steelers62.36.7
Tampa Bay Buccaneers60.45.6
Detroit Lions59.46.7
Washington Redskins57.86.7
Houston Texans57.46.1
Cleveland Browns55.15.1

It's not just the basic stats, either. Browns quarterbacks overthrow or underthrow 21 percent of non-Gordon targets, second worst in that data set despite having the lowest average throw distance on those passes (6.1 yards downfield).

Browns quarterbacks have posted a 36.2 Total QBR this season, fourth worst in the league. Only the Bills and Jets (both of whom have rookie quarterbacks), as well as the Jaguars' Chad Henneand Blaine Gabbert, fare worse. Weeden, in particular, ranked dead last this season (24.7, the only QB under 25).

Using his production from Weeden (who started Cleveland's first two games), we can see where Gordon would have ranked if he hadn't been suspended. Weeden has thrown 660 yards and four touchdowns in five games to Gordon this season (132 yards and 0.8 touchdowns per game). An extra 264 yards to Gordon's total would give him 1,664 receiving yards -- or more than 100 yards over Calvin Johnson's 2012 total (1,546) through Week 14.

Johnson had only five touchdowns through 13 games in his exceptional campaign last season. Gordon likely would have had almost twice as many (nine) if he had been active in Weeks 1 and 2.

Cleveland's level of quarterback play has put a lot of pressure on Gordon to make things happen when he does get the ball.

An even better microcosm of Gordon's season was two weeks earlier. In Week 12, the Browns lost 27-11 at home to the Steelers with Weeden and Campbell playing quarterback. The duo combined to go 14-of-17 for 237 yards and a touchdown targeting Gordon but 13-of-35 for 75 yards and an interception targeting everyone else.

The same quarterbacks averaged more than six times as many yards per attempt targeting Gordon (13.9) as the rest of Cleveland's skill players (2.1).

Gordon's gifts

After Gordon caught that pass, a stiff-arm to Talib at the Browns' 36-yard line created more than enough space for pay dirt. The separation Gordon created on his route and with his stiff-arm only increased after the catch (especially in the last 50 yards of the run).

Gordon's 80-yard touchdown was his longest since, well, the previous week. Gordon beat the Jaguars in Week 13 for a 95-yard touchdown catch that had 77 yards after the catch. He made the footrace look easy, splitting rookies Dwayne Gratz and Johnathan Cyprien.

Gratz was clocked at 4.47 in the 40-yard dash, slightly slower than Talib's 4.44 time coming out of Kansas. Neither had a chance at slowing Gordon, who recorded sub-4.4 times before the 2012 supplemental draft. Even assuming a defense has players fast enough to stay with Gordon, actually tackling him is no guarantee. No wide receiver in the league has more plays with at least 20 yards after the catch than Gordon this season (seven).

It's already been mentioned that Gordon leads the league in yards after catch per reception, but the names around him serve to highlight his rare physical tools. The average height and weight of the rest of the top 20 receivers is 6 feet, 202 pounds. Six-foot-3, 225-pound Gordon has exploited the speed-size mismatch all season.

Gordon's 2.8 yards after contact per reception isn't just second-best among wide receivers but also better than any tight end in football. Gordon has gained at least 5 yards after contact on 19 catches this season, among the best among wide receivers (DeSean Jackson has 22, Brian Hartline 19).

The Patriots knew this on Sunday. Talib is one of only six cornerbacks to record at least 400 plays in press coverage this season (435), but he gave Gordon plenty of space off the line playing without safety help. The fact that Talib deviated from a tactical strength was a testament to Gordon's success when pressed at the line.

It didn't work. Gordon finished with his seventh 100-yard game, catching seven passes for 151 yards and that touchdown. Relative to his season, however, Gordon was almost held in check.

A55VA6

Legend
I really really like Josh Gordon. Outstanding player. I remember when he got picked in the supplemental draft and people were talking about him as a possible star in the future.

V3

Hall of Fame
Nah, he's not a true number one, he's playing in a system designed to put up big numbers, or something like that.

Wha? He has 1400 yards while missing two games and the season isn't even over. I don't care if it's the system or not. When you put up numbers like that, you're doing something right. He leads the league in yards after catch, too. That's HUGE IMO. He's not a fluke. The Rams should have traded our 2nd pick last year and skipped Austin and gone for one of the safeties. I'd much rather have one of the top safeties in the last draft and Gordon than just Austin. You can say hindsight all you want but it's Fisher/Snead's job to know what to do and to do it.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I would give our highest first rounder for this kid right now.

Wha? He has 1400 yards while missing two games and the season isn't even over. I don't care if it's the system or not. When you put up numbers like that, you're doing something right. He leads the league in yards after catch, too. That's HUGE IMO. He's not a fluke. The Rams should have traded our 2nd pick last year and skipped Austin and gone for one of the safeties. I'd much rather have one of the top safeties in the last draft and Gordon than just Austin. You can say hindsight all you want but it's Fisher/Snead's job to know what to do and to do it.

Just quoting someone (I forget who and the exact quote) when I suggested trading our highest first for him 4 games ago, since then he's been historically magnificent.

A55VA6

Legend
He does everything as well as Calvin Johnson does. I'd trade a 1st rounder for him right now.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
And the Browns are???

I get the need for that WR that puts up 1000 yards and a bunch of TDs, but you need to find the guy that consistently catches the ball.

The bigger need is on defense (again).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He does everything as well as Calvin Johnson does. I'd trade a 1st rounder for him right now.

No, he doesn't. Come on guys.

Gordon isn't getting half the attention Calvin does. DCs haven't started adjusting their coverages to him yet.

Calvin Johnson is the NFL's best WR. That hasn't changed. Gordon could end up being that but we'll see how he does when NFL teams starting rolling coverage his way and double teaming him like they do Calvin.

A55VA6

Legend
No, he doesn't. Come on guys.

Gordon isn't getting half the attention Calvin does. DCs haven't started adjusting their coverages to him yet.

Calvin Johnson is the NFL's best WR. That hasn't changed. Gordon could end up being that but we'll see how he does when NFL teams starting rolling coverage his way and double teaming him like they do Calvin.
I've watched a lot of Josh Gordon. Not saying he's better than Calvin, but he has the skill set to be a top WR in this league. Calvin is still #1 though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've watched a lot of Josh Gordon. Not saying he's better than Calvin, but he has the skill set to be a top WR in this league. Calvin is still #1 though.

You said he does everything as good as Calvin does...?

He does have a great skill-set. I'd love to add him here but it appears that ship has sailed. The people that said back when he was available that we should trade for him were right.

A55VA6

Legend
You said he does everything as good as Calvin does...?

He does have a great skill-set. I'd love to add him here but it appears that ship has sailed. The people that said back when he was available that we should trade for him were right.
I guess I should have re-worded it. I didm;t mean he does everything better than Calvin. I meant he does some things just as good as Calvin does. Calvin is the better player, but Josh Gordon has skill sets that can compete with Calvin.

BigHornRAMM

Rookie
Name
BigHorn
Calvin #1, Gordon and Dez are #2 I'd give the edge to Gordon. The browns won't trade him 1st or not.. He is elite