Why Jon Toth wasn't drafted and still unsigned

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
So was he hurt during Senior Bowl practices? I read somewhere he did well in the actual game.

Highest-graded players and top takeaways from the Senior Bowl.

PFF ANALYSIS TEAM | 4 MONTHS AGO

Top offensive grades:

C John Toth, 81.8
WR Fred Ross, 74.3
QB Davis Webb, 73.9
HB Jamaal Williams, 71.6
QB Joshua Dobbs, 71.5

Toth demonstrates ground game dominance

John Toth capped a fine career at Kentucky will a brilliant display in his postseason All Star game. He was easily the most impressive lineman on the South squad, flashing impressive athleticism on inside zone-rushing plays in particular.

Toth’s movement skills enable him to make blocks in space. He looks comfortable in the screen game or when required to cut off linebackers at the second level.

Although those particular plays caught the eye, Saturday proved a complete display. Toth’s strength was also evident as he continuously widened lanes on solo blocks in-line.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/senior-bowl-grades-davis-webb-leads-south-to-victory/

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
And the above is why he is worth a CHANCE just as Barrett Jones was worth a CHANCE in the 4th round.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams also have Chris Watt a third year player drafted by the chargers. 6'3" 320 coming off ACL repair, didn't play last year. Probably a long shot.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And the above is why he is worth a CHANCE just as Barrett Jones was worth a CHANCE in the 4th round.

Jones in the 4th round was a total waste of a pick. He was terribly overrated due to playing on that huge Oline, but he also had a Lys Franc injury which in many cases is a career ender.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Not sure if they would keep Rhaney or Blythe, but you never know.
-Jeff Fisher special - Demetrius Rhaney =
cutbait.gif

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rhaney has a chance to be backup? When he couldn't beat out Tim Barnes? :dizzy: I'm amazed he's hasn't been cut yet.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Jones in the 4th round was a total waste of a pick. He was terribly overrated due to playing on that huge Oline, but he also had a Lys Franc injury which in many cases is a career ender.
The Rams needed O linemen post haste and I wouldn't have drafted a injured player personally.

However Barrett Jones was rated a second or third round pick and a starter.

If a team had him rated as a starter potentially he's worth a fourth-round risk.

It's not like we're talking about our first, second or third round pick those guys you pretty much want to feel are sure starters.

But a 4th rounder?

By the fourth round you can start picking players for potential in my opinion.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
he also had a Lys Franc injury which in many cases is a career ender.
I think any factor that could end a career before a draft pick has a chance to even get started needs to be carefully considered, but I don't agree the lisfranc injury is the death sentence it has the reputation to be. Here's a white paper concluding "More than 90% of NFL athletes who sustained Lisfranc injuries returned to play in the NFL at a median of 11.1 months from time of injury" with no "statistical significance" decrease in performance.

I think lisfranc has earned a deserved ominous reputation since it's becoming more and more common it seems and it can kill a season or two, but it's career-ending reputation is kinda exaggerated since the rare cases it happens are so devastating those cases stick in collective memory.

In sum, I think that it was just Rams Luck(TM) that B.Jones was one of the statistically unlucky that the injury was career significant, I find it hard to blame the Rams for taking a chance on him.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Toth is the kind of guy at this point that you call a couple weeks after surgery and check up on him. Keep tabs on him while he rehabs. Roster spots are too valuable these days to sign someone that would be on IR anyways. Maybe you sign him to practice squad after the season has started when you know a little more about what you actually have with your OL.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
If we had the luxury of having spare seats on the roster, I'd sign him to a contract and hide him away on IR or PS for the season.

I was high on Barrett Jones in the draft - I seriously thought he was going to solidify the Centre position for a decade for the Rams - he was familiar with every position on the O-line, high IQ - tbh I'm not sure what happened there.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Lis-franc foot injury happened to Jones. When he got well enough to play, he found he couldn't push off like he used to.