Why John Johnson III is important now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
The 2017 Ram’s draft had the team’s fans clamoring for offensive help. While the debate raged over the need for pass catchers vs O-Linemen, a head scratcher of a pick came in the form of a lightly regarded safety that looked to many as a depth pick as the team appeared to already have good starters available. As the year progressed, it became apparent that John Johnson III was one of the better values in the draft. While his measurables weren’t elite, his production fit Wade Phillips’ scheme to a T and he graded out as one of the better safeties in the game. He was valued for his versatility, adequate enough athleticism, and teachability. Since the offense was of critical focus last year, the offseason this year is already marked for a defensive rebuild quickly underway. Drafting Johnson last year is the key that unlocks the mystery of what the next few months have in store.

What does JJ III have to do with Quinn, Peters, Barron, Joyner, Barwin, NRC, Webster, Hill, Longacre, and Donald? The answer is that this defensive staff has an eye for exactly what qualities are necessary for their scheme and few of us know what those qualities are. It’s why Joyner was moved and NRC was acquired. It’s why Quinn’s skill set didn’t fit. Wade needs someone more versatile. John Johnson is inexpensive so it leaves more money for Donald and a couple run stuffers (whether or not that comes as a stouter upgrade to Barron or a 5 tech Nose is a subject for debate). Peters is cheaper at corner for a couple years so the Rams are in a position to front load and guarantee Donald. With that said, look for the Rams to develop Quinn’s replacement the way they did JJ. Doing so will put them in a better position to extend players like Gurley and Goff when their turns come and further develop depth on the OLine.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The 2017 Ram’s draft had the team’s fans clamoring for offensive help. While the debate raged over the need for pass catchers vs O-Linemen, a head scratcher of a pick came in the form of a lightly regarded safety that looked to many as a depth pick as the team appeared to already have good starters available. As the year progressed, it became apparent that John Johnson III was one of the better values in the draft. While his measurables weren’t elite, his production fit Wade Phillips’ scheme to a T and he graded out as one of the better safeties in the game. He was valued for his versatility, adequate enough athleticism, and teachability. Since the offense was of critical focus last year, the offseason this year is already marked for a defensive rebuild quickly underway. Drafting Johnson last year is the key that unlocks the mystery of what the next few months have in store.

What does JJ III have to do with Quinn, Peters, Barron, Joyner, Barwin, NRC, Webster, Hill, Longacre, and Donald? The answer is that this defensive staff has an eye for exactly what qualities are necessary for their scheme and few of us know what those qualities are. It’s why Joyner was moved and NRC was acquired. It’s why Quinn’s skill set didn’t fit. Wade needs someone more versatile. John Johnson is inexpensive so it leaves more money for Donald and a couple run stuffers (whether or not that comes as a stouter upgrade to Barron or a 5 tech Nose is a subject for debate). Peters is cheaper at corner for a couple years so the Rams are in a position to front load and guarantee Donald. With that said, look for the Rams to develop Quinn’s replacement the way they did JJ. Doing so will put them in a better position to extend players like Gurley and Goff when their turns come and further develop depth on the OLine.

Good insight @leoram that makes sense.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky

I was surprised by the selection. It really did make a lot of sense when you consider all the FAs in the secondary this year. I liked his instincts out of BC, but I still was not sure of the selection. Happy they picked him now though!

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Damn, leoram.

Might be the best take on Wade’s thinking that I’ve ever seen.

Well done, sir!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's certainly off to a great start, and finding a guy like him where they found him in the draft is a hell of a testament to the entire Rams' organization. Sure would be nice to see him hit the elite range in year two! (y)

jap

Legend

Wade knows pretty much exactly what & who he wants. Don't question the defensive manipulations of the SonOfBum!!!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Thought the pick was solid, exceeded expectations actually. Only criticism was that he couldn't get a pick six against Wilson at home, dude ran as slow as a linebacker out there.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I trusted Snead's eye on that pick. I wasn't familiar with John Johnson. Snead was looking at the Senior Bowl and he has been very successful with defensive picks. A veteran defensive coordinator like Wade Phillips knows exactly what he prefers at each position. That is the best case scenario for a GM.

Think about it . Fisher didn't know diddlysquat about offense and Snead's only real draft misses were on that side of the ball. Fisher knows defense and Les got him just what he wanted. Bones knows Special Teams and Les got him exactly what he wanted. But on offense there was a bit of guessing early on and with odd Offensive Coordinator choices Les was on an island with Fisher. The whole athleticism and potential, over football IQ and experience didn't quite work in the beginning, but with Gurley, Goff and some of the OLine picks we saw Snead start to turn his draft failures on offense around. Now with McVay to give him a checklist , Les is really developing an eye for both sides of the ball.

I don't expect we fans here at this forum will find a lot of picks to complain, or scratch our heads about as long as Snead, McVay, Phillips, and Bones are at the helm.

jap

Legend
I don't expect we fans here at this forum will find a lot of picks to complain, or scratch our heads about as long as Snead, McVay, Phillips, and Bones are at the helm.

That's the ticket for success---having coaches who can provide detailed player qualities to search for. Les even talked about how Sean made his offensive choices so easy last season because he was told precisely what to look for. We know the SonOfBum knows his personnel needs even more-so than Sean, and Bones has just about won over everyone with his special teams knowhow.

I hardly ever get involved with FA/draft speculations because the choices are out of my hands, although I have cringed with some of the past choices. However, with Sean, Wade, & Bones feeding Les information-packed details and Kevin handling contracts, there is a comfort zone with this front office/coaching staff that I don't think I have ever experienced before. That is very, very special!!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That's the ticket for success---having coaches who can provide detailed player qualities to search for. Les even talked about how Sean made his offensive choices so easy last season because he was told precisely what to look for. We know the SonOfBum knows his personnel needs even more-so than Sean, and Bones has just about won over everyone with his special teams knowhow.

I hardly ever get involved with FA/draft speculations because the choices are out of my hands, although I have cringed with some of the past choices. However, with Sean, Wade, & Bones feeding Les information-packed details and Kevin handling contracts, there is a comfort zone with this front office/coaching staff that I don't think I have ever experienced before. That is very, very special!!!

It’s a nice feeling.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I knew this was a great pick, he was a great pick in 1980 Johnson I, not sure what happened to Johnson II, but I'm very pleased with the Safety from Boston College, who not only provided the athletic prowess for the position, but also the ability from the neck up to pick up Wade's scheme quickly and become an asset in his rookie season.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I always liked the chef analogy.

Last year, our DC was like a world renowned Italian chef that had to prepare meals with leftover "ingredients" better suited for Chinese dishes.

Adding more and more "ingredients" that are in tune with our DC's culinary talents should yield memorable "feasts" of opposing offenses.