Why is TV viewership for NFL games down?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Q729

Legend
I tend to agree that something is fishy beyond mere incompetence on the part of the refs. But how would that be kept a secret for so long? Someone would have talked by now.

Would it not be good for the NFL if teams like the Browns, Jaguars, or the Rams rose from the bottom of the standings and ended up in the Super Bowl? That would get more eyes glued to TV screens than the same-old-same-old teams that seem to be in the playoffs every season.
You would think so, but people always want to see the perennial winners. The fanbases are huge. I remember during SB34 people were like "who?" or "what a shitty Super Bowl, I'm not watching". God I miss the days of people saying" The Patriots? Ewww what a shitty game. "

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
http://nypost.com/2017/01/23/nfl-tv-viewership-fumbles-for-the-first-time-in-4-years/

Overall, average TV viewership for the 2016 NFL season fell 8 percent, to 16.5 million people, from 17.9 million the previous year.

It was the steepest dropoff in viewers in the past 10 years — and only the third down year since 2007.
Probably because the playoffs were absolutely shit this year. Besides Greenbay and Dallas, there wasn't one other good game. I'm hoping the Super Bowl changes everything. But I doubt it.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
The games are worse than in years past, with more commercial time outs. Hell, most of the postseason has been boring, one-sided games not worth watching... Brock Osweiler vs. Connor Cook? Really? Who the fuck wants to watch that?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The games are worse than in years past, with more commercial time outs. Hell, most of the postseason has been boring, one-sided games not worth watching... Brock Osweiler vs. Connor Cook? Really? Who the freak wants to watch that?

That and the Patriots going to the super bowl for the 17th time in the past 18 years. I'm surprised the AFC even plays games anymore.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/espn-preparing-lay-on-air-talent-payroll-purge-article-1.2989757

ESPN preparing to lay off on-air talent in payroll purge
BY BERNIE AUGUSTINE
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

espn-berman.jpg

(JESSICA HILL/AP)

Start saying goodbye to some of ESPN’s most familiar faces.

SI.com reported Monday that the network will face a major round of layoffs between now and June as part a “significant cost-cutting” measure aimed at clearing tens of millions of dollars in salary from its payroll. The emphasis will be on forward-facing personalities — those who are present on TV, audio and digitial platforms — and people nearing the end of their contracts will be vulnerable, SI reported.

There is no list of names on the block, an ESPN source told SI.

ESPN underwent a staff reduction in 2015 and terminated roughly 300 behind-the-scenes employees. This time around, SI reported, people in those roles will not be impacted. ESPN will continue to hire employees during this round of cuts, SI reports.

SI points out that fewer subscribers — 88.4 million households in Dec. 2016 compared to 100.002 in Feb. 2011, according to SI — coupled with the rising cost of rights for live sports and lower earnings for Disney play a role in the reductions.

In a statement to SI, an ESPN spokesperson pointed to the changing ways in which fans get their sports news and videos and said that the network is “in a continuous process of adapting to change and improving what we do.

“Inevitably that has consequences for how we utilize our talent. We are confident that ESPN will continue to have a roster of talent that is unequaled in sports.”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is one sport in the USA that isn't down in tv ratings. And you kick the ball around the pitch in that sport. (y)