Why is TV viewership for NFL games down?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
One thing they could do in this day and age is take full advantage of technology to speed the shit up. Quit going to commercial break every time a play needs reviewed. Make the replay confirmation guy up in the booths an actual official that's part of the referee team that travels with them to games. He immediately views all plays and if there is a challenge or a replay needed he can make a decision in a fraction of the time it'll take the head ref to run across an entire field to look into a tiny booth that isn't needed. Have an assistant on the sideline with a headset who can immediately run onto the field to the head ref to let him talk to the replay guy. The big delay and subsequent commercial breaks are unneeded for replays with today's technology.

Maybe, if it's not a completely obvious call let the booth guy ask for an extended look and let the head ref go to the replay booth. But if they can kill at least one extended replay a game they'd save 5-10 minutes alone.

Shoman01

Rookie
Besides the fact that the Rams have been horrible over the past 12 years, I've seen enough football during my life that I'm bored with it. The league schedule makes it even more boring. there are many times during the year when a team that plays on the Sunday night games also plays on the next weeks Monday night game, or vice versa. I don't want to see the same team every week. I bet I've watched maybe 2 quarters worth of live action combined this year. I'm not in the demographic that the league cares about anyhow, over 50, doesn't buy merchandise, has a lot of other interests in life beside sitting inside and watching football on the weekend.
Did I mention that the Rams have been horrible over the last 12 years?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
You mean the nation wasn't glued to their sets last night to witness the epic battle of the titans with the Browns facing The Ravens?
Yep something must be wrong.....

This is the first time all season I forgot there was a game on.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Simply put, I've found that if one doesn't have a hardcore fanatical interest in one of the teams, the NFL game is not only expensive, but kinda boring. There are just better things to do and/or watch.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Simply put, I've found that if one doesn't have a hardcore fanatical interest in one of the teams, the NFL game is not only expensive, but kinda boring. There are just better things to do and/or watch.

It feels like there are a lot of "bad football" this year. More than normal.

And... it won't surprise me if attendance reflects that when the year is tallied up. To your point; people have other places to spend their money than the overpriced stadium experience (especially when the teams don't inspire).

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Emphasis on the expensive part. But that only explains the attendance not the dwindling viewers.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Emphasis on the expensive part. But that only explains the attendance not the dwindling viewers.

True. At the same time, if I'm pissed off about how expensive it is to attend something is, I still sort of lose interest in that something.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And then there is the Kaepernick factor this year. Don't think that hasn't hurt viewership. There's an active protest with that going on right now.
Football is entertainment, a place where those of different political stripes can enjoy the experience together without having to throw the shields up about personal beliefs. I don't like having my entertainment spoiled by a rich athlete, who actually thinks I give a shyte what he thinks about an issue..any issue. Just STFU and play, or I have other things to do...JMO.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...t-time-tom-brady-russell-wilson-363111-111116

Why the NFL is rooting for the Seahawks to beat the Patriots?
By Dieter KurtenbachNov 11, 2016

It’s a strange thing to say, but the NFL, the most successful sports business in the world — an enterprise that brings in more money annually than the NBA and Premier League, combined — needs a win.

They’re poised to get one this weekend, but only if the Seattle Seahawks cooperate.

It’s no secret that television ratings are down for the NFL this season, and that’s obviously a concern for the league. Commissioner Roger Goodell calls the downtick a “cyclical” part of rapid growth, and he’s correct. The league has also taken a stance that ratings are down because of the presidential election’s “unprecedented interest” and they’re right about that too.

The downtick cannot be that easily written off, though. So far this year 27 of 28 prime-time games have failed to beat the viewership numbers of the same 2015 time slot, and that kind of trend should scare the NFL to its core. Those prime-time, showcase contests are the games the league counts on to turn its current $13 billion in revenue into Goodell’s goal of $25 billion by 2027 (going rate for a primetime rate these days: $45 million per contest).

The election is over, but the NFL’s ratings problem clearly went beyond that competition — the television viewing experience (number of advertisements, pace of play) has to be taken into account, too. NBA ratings are up this season, so why are the NFL's in freefall?

The largest on-field issue, of course, is the quality of play. Viewer retention is part of television ratings and if you were able to watch the entirety of Browns-Ravens on Thursday night, you should see a psychiatric professional immediately. The NFL has always pushed for parity, and they’ve gotten it this year — but you can have parity without quality, and in the showcase games this year that’s often been shockingly apparent.

But not with Sunday night’s Patriots - Seahawks game. The Patriots are, hands down, the best team in the NFL and the Seahawks appear to be the top contender in the NFC. This is one impressive matchup — perhaps even a Super Bowl preview.

This is a market-correcting game for the NFL — see, it was the election! — so long as it’s a good one.

That’s not guaranteed.

The Seahawks have two schedule disadvantages going against them in this game — a double-whammy if there ever was one — on top of having to take on the best team in the NFL.

The first problem is that the Seahawks played on Monday night — they’re on a short week. If they were playing the 49ers Sunday, that might not have been a problem, but when you’re playing the Patriots, you want as much time as possible to heal and prepare.

You especially want that extra time when you have to travel 3,000 miles east for the game.

West Coast teams have won only 35 percent of road games against East Coast teams since 2003, a number that lends credence to the belief that there’s a larger factor at play than simple home field advantage — the further they travel, the more they lose.

Sure enough, the Seahawks are more than a touchdown underdogs Sunday, and that spread is rising.

The NFL won’t want to hear that — for one, it pretends that betting isn’t happening, but also because a lopsided Patriots win won’t keep East Coast viewers (more than 50 percent of the nation lives in the time zone) from getting a good night’s rest.

There aren’t too many exciting prime-time games left on the NFL schedule (unless you want to get excited about the Chiefs or New York Giants, which means you were probably already watching the games), so the league will surely be rooting for the Seahawks to summon some mystic strength and deliver its A-game to Foxborough.

The NFL really needs a win, and the biggest one it could get is a Seahawks victory Sunday night.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The downtick cannot be that easily written off, though. So far this year 27 of 28 prime-time games have failed to beat the viewership numbers of the same 2015 time slot, and that kind of trend should scare the NFL to its core. Those prime-time, showcase contests are the games the league counts on to turn its current $13 billion in revenue into Goodell’s goal of $25 billion by 2027 (going rate for a primetime rate these days: $45 million per contest).

Holy shit on two counts.

First that 27 out of 28 prime time games thing........

If your premium product isn't drawing eyeballs advertisers have to be very unhappy, and possibly asking for rebates. I would if I had dropped millions of dollars on a schedule before the season started. This year the NFL set records for itself on ad revenues and they are flat out NOT delivering what they promised. That's got to have a lot of marketing execs very unhappy because they could have spent some of that money elsewhere.

Second........25BIL by 2027.

Whoa. Well in order to double revenues in a decade the NFL is going to have to rip off everyone they do business with..........car makers, pharmaceutical companies, beverage companies and all the rest. Which means consumers will pay more. How much will a bag of Doritos cost by then LOL. And the cost of games is going to be out of reach even more than it is now for most Americans. I don't know why the "grow the brand" thing is as important as it is other than the greed of the billionaire owners. There isn't a REAL need to generate 25BIL a year by 2027. Isn't 20BIL plenty?

Am I the only one that is disturbed by the NFL essentially setting a goal THAT high in the wake of everything the league is experiencing? To me it's like Honda saying they want to sell Accords for $85,000 each ten years from now when Accord sales are dropping. (not saying Accord sales are dropping just using it as an example).

Why advertise your greed and rub it in everyone's face as you steal money from them? That level of arrogance is mindblowing. Does this seem smart to anyone?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I for one can't remember the last good game in the NFL. The farther they get from Taglibue's blueprint the worse the product gets.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-another-555-000-subscribers-per-nielsen-112916

ESPN Loses Another 555,000 Subscribers Per Nielsen
ESPN lost another 555,000 subscribers per Nielsen estimates, following up its worst month ever with its second worst month ever
By Clay TravisNov 29, 2016

Last month ESPN lost 621,000 subscribers according to Nielsen media estimates, which was the worst month in the company's history. This month things weren't much better -- ESPN lost another 555,000 subscribers according to Nielsen media estimates, meaning that the worst month in the history of ESPN has now been followed up by the second worst month in ESPN history. ESPN has now lost a jawdropping 1.176 million subscribers in the past two months.

Putting that into perspective, that means nearly 20,000 people a day are leaving ESPN for each of the past two months.

If that annual average subscriber loss continued, ESPN would lose over seven million subscribers in the next 12 months. And at an absolute minimum, these 1.176 million lost subscribers in the past two months will lead to a yearly loss in revenue of over $100 million.

According to Nielsen ESPN now has 88.4 million cable and satellite subscribers, a precipitous decline from well over 100 million subscribers just a few years ago

Now, to be fair, ESPN fought Nielsen's latest channel estimates last month and argued that those estimates failed to count the number of over-the-top subscribers the company has, but Nielsen reviewed their data and confirmed its findings, much to ESPN's public dismay.

Furthermore, there's nothing preventing ESPN from revealing its subscriber data publicly. What's more, ESPN cited Nielsen's own subscriber estimates in its most recent 10k filing last week. If the subscriber numbers were that far off would you cite them in your own public releases for the Securities and Exchange Commission? That seems unlikely.

The rapid decline -- and apparent escalation -- in cable and satellite customers abandoning the bundle is the biggest story in sports, and there isn't a close second. That's why I've been writing about it for the past several years. Last month, in the wake of ESPN's loss of 621,000 subscribers, I wrote the following:

According to SNL Kagan ESPN is on track to pay $7.3 billion in total rights fees in 2017. That's more than any company in America.

Presently ESPN is on the hook for the following yearly sports rights payments: $1.9 billion a year to the NFL for Monday Night Football, $1.47 billion to the NBA, a deal I told you flat out wasn't sustainable back in July because it meant every single cable and satellite subscriber in the country was paying an average of $30 a year for the NBA whether they watched or not, $700 million to Major League Baseball, $608 million for the College Football Playoff, $225 million to the ACC, $190 million to the Big Ten, $120 million to the Big 12, $125 million a year to the PAC 12, and hundreds of millions more to the SEC.

View: https://twitter.com/badgate/status/788367366618877952

How does that content cost compare to revenue?

Well, let's be extremely conservative and assume that ESPN is going to lose 3 million subscribers this year. ESPN lost over 4 million subscribers last year and no months last year were as bad as as the past two months have been so this is probably being extremely generous.

(The pace of decline in these past two months, an average loss of 588,000 subscribers a month, would be over 7 million lost subscribers. But even if we presume that these past two months are just bad outliers -- the average number of lost subscribers over the past several years has been right at 3.5 million -- things get really bad, really fast. And if these new losses are the new normal, then ESPN is officially dead).

A loss of 3 million subscribers would leave ESPN with 86 million subscribers in 2017. That would be down roughly 15 million subscribers in the past five years alone. Given that ESPN makes right at $7 a month from every cable and satellite subscriber a year, that means ESPN's subscriber revenue would be $7.22 billion in 2017.

Toss in an additional $1.8 billion or so in advertising revenue and ESPN's total revenue would be $9 billion. We don't know what the costs of running ESPN are -- employees, facilities, equipment, and the like have to cost a billion or more -- but it's fair to say that ESPN is probably still making money in 2017.

Just nowhere near what they used to make.

But those sports rights costs are going up and those subscriber revenue numbers are going down.

So if we're very conservative and project that ESPN continues to lose 3 million subscribers a year -- well below the rate that they are currently losing subscribers -- then the household numbers would look like this over the next five years:

2017: 86 million subscribers

2018: 83 million subscribers

2019: 80 million subscribers

2020: 77 million subscribers

2021: 74 million subscribers

At 74 million subscribers -- Outkick's projection for 2021 based on the past five years of subscriber losses -- ESPN would be bringing in just over $6.2 billion a year in yearly subscriber fees at $7 a month. At $8 a month, assuming the subscriber costs per month keep climbing, that's $7.1 billion in subscriber revenue.

Both of those numbers are less than the yearly rights fees cost in 2017. (Remember that these yearly rights fee costs will keep rising in the years ahead too).

Uh oh.

It seems pretty clear that within five years ESPN will be bringing in less subscriber revenue than they've committed for sports rights.

Sure, advertising money and ESPN2 and ESPNU have to be factored in as well, but you'd also have to add in every other cost that ESPN has to run multiple networks, employee salaries, technology, everything that a major corporation with thousands of worldwide employees has to keep up. And, importantly, you also have to factor in this, ESPN's Monday Night Football contract expires at the end of 2021.

Can ESPN afford to bid on the NFL again?

And if ESPN can't afford to bid on the NFL, what reason does it have to justify its high cost to cable and satellite subscribers? What's more, how in the world do they fill all their hours of programming?

Now, ESPN isn't alone in terrifying subscriber losses, all channels are being hit by the losses, but ESPN is by far the most expensive cable and satellite channel so it loses much more money than anyone else.

Indeed, every month ESPN is losing more money via subscriber losses than every other sports cable network combined.

Let me illustrate by using FS1.

According to the most recent Nielsen estimates FS1 is in 85.358 million homes. (ESPN is in 88.401 million). FS1 lost 258,000 subscribers last month according to Nielsen. At $1.10 a month, the monthly channel cost for FS1, Fox lost $3.4 million a year in yearly revenue off these lost subscribers. That's not ideal, but it's pretty much a rounding error for Fox. ESPN, on the other hand, lost nearly $47 million off its 555,000 in lost subscribers.

So for those of you who always Tweet asking why I focus on ESPN when I write about the looming crisis in cable and satellite television, it's because ESPN, by far the most expensive cable or satellite channel, has infinitely more to lose than anyone else by the rapid decline in cable and satellite subscribers.

(Those same complainers, by the way, won't read this and they'll still make the same complaints. Go read my mentions. It's amazing how many people feel compelled to comment on articles without actually reading the article).

As I wrote last month:

ESPN's in infinitely worse shape than any other cable network out there too because it makes more than any other channel off the current business model and because those channels don't have the billions in fixed costs that ESPN does. If CNN makes less money on subscriber revenue, they can spend less on news gathering.

If AMC makes less money in subscriber fees, they'll pay for fewer shows, but ESPN's entire business is predicated on the billions they owe for sports rights every year into the foreseeable future. ESPN made a bet that exclusive live sports rights would be the moat that protected its castle from all attackers. The problem is this, that moat flooded the castle instead.

Moreover, the sports businesses of Fox, NBC, and CBS are more protected because the vast majority of their best games are all on network TV, which may well return to primacy when it comes to sports. Look at the roster of games that Fox, NBC, and CBS have -- virtually all of the top draws air on the main broadcast networks.

The NFL's AFC and NFC packages, the World Series, the Super Bowl, the SEC game of the week, the best college football games in other conferences, Sunday Night Football, the big Olympic events, the U.S. Open, the British Open, and the Masters, all air on "free" TV. ESPN -- and Turner -- are the only two networks that put their biggest sporting events on cable.

(The college football playoff, Monday Night Football, and most of the NBA's Eastern Conference playoffs air on ESPN, which is how ESPN justifies its massive cable and satellite subscription fees. Turner carries the majority of the NCAA Tournament games on cable as well.)

In theory it would make more sense for ESPN to just rely on ABC and switch its biggest games to that network, but the problem is, it can't. Not under the existing television contracts which promise cable and satellite companies exclusive big events on ESPN to justify the enormous cable and satellite fees.

So what happens if I'm right and the cable and satellite bundle is collapsing?

Couldn't ESPN go over the top to consumers?

Nope, that violates their currently existing cable and satellite contracts -- ESPN promised it wouldn't do this in order to get the companies to pay them so much money, Plus, it begs the larger question, if ESPN is going over the top to consumers, why wouldn't the leagues just try this directly themselves?

Why do you need ESPN to be the middleman if you can handle distribution as well as they can? What's more, an over the top ESPN would need to be insanely expensive to justify their fixed costs, $20, $30 or $40 a month just for ESPN alone. As if that weren't enough, ESPN would be caught in an intractable business problem, one that looks awfully familiar to print newspapers as the Internet rose online.

You'd have to run two different businesses -- the cable and satellite ESPN, which would continue to lose subscribers, but still bring in most of your money -- and the over the top ESPN model, which costs much more and has infinitely fewer subscribers.

As you promoted the over the top model then the cable and satellite companies would rebel and ask, "Why are we paying you so much to carry your network as part of our packages? We're cutting your channel from basic cable so we can lower consumer costs."

So ESPN would lose all the people giving it money to buy sports rights who never watch sports. At the same time that the vast majority of people were not subscribing to its over the top offering."

Indeed, based on the rapidity with which these subscriber costs are accelerrating in late 2016, saying that ESPN will begin to lose money in 2021 is probably far too generous.

If the next ten months are like these past two months then ESPN's subscriber losses would nearly hit my 2019 subscriber forecast in 2017.

What should be even scarier to anyone in sports is this -- shouldn't the fall be the best possible months for ESPN and other sports networks? There are football games in the fall, imagine what these subscriber losses might look like in the spring and summer when there's no football to watch.

I'm not trying to be alarmist here, but the simple fact is this -- I don't see how ESPN's business model makes sense at all in the years ahead. And if these present losses in the past two months are the new normal, then ESPN doesn't even have several years left, the "Worldwide Leader in Sports" is already a dead channel walking.

Bruce2980

Starter
Because the NFL is rigged and they can't help themselves but to make it so painfully obvious that only the blind can pretend they don't see that blatant no calls by the refs. Dozens of holding no calls and blocks in the back in last weeks Saint win is almost too much to stomach.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The more I watch how games are officiated, the more I think the games are rigged. With NFL owners buying up shares of FanDuel and DraftKing by the boatload,its not hard for me to come to that conclusion, Especially when billions of dollars are at stake.
I think the fix is in.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The more I watch how games are officiated, the more I think the games are rigged.

I think the fix is in.

I tend to agree that something is fishy beyond mere incompetence on the part of the refs. But how would that be kept a secret for so long? Someone would have talked by now.

Would it not be good for the NFL if teams like the Browns, Jaguars, or the Rams rose from the bottom of the standings and ended up in the Super Bowl? That would get more eyes glued to TV screens than the same-old-same-old teams that seem to be in the playoffs every season.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm just looking for more reasons not to watch NFL football PT. I'm tired of watching the Rams go through HC after HC for the last 13 years with the same losing results. Spoiled overpaid players, greedy owners bad officiating that is getting worse, rule changes that are leading to flag football, the same damned commercials over and over and over and over and over, well, its all adding up, making me less and less inclinced to tune in on Sunday.

Now the ED vs Fisher hoopla. What a friggen joke. the whole thing is just so juvenile.

The NFL is wondering why viewership is down? they need to look at the whole big picture like I see it and they'd know.

I'm this close:fuelfire: to never watching NFL football again. The NFL has been going downhill for a few years now and its seems like its picking up steam. Another Jeff Fisher losing season will probably do the trick for me to go fishing on sundays.

Last edited: