Why is the stiff arm legal?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
First off I think it should be legal, along with other things the NFL has eliminated. That being said, how can you not touch a QB in the head, how can a receiver be defenseless, but it's perfectly legal to shove a hand in the face of a defender?

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
First off I think it should be legal, along with other things the NFL has eliminated. That being said, how can you not touch a QB in the head, how can a receiver be defenseless, but it's perfectly legal to shove a hand in the face of a defender?
Goes back to old days, it was thought that if you were hampered by carrying the ball, you could somewhat protect yourself by using a stuff ar,m. Back in the days of no facemasks I am sure it made sense.

Now, it is really a rule that allows the guy with the ball to punch another guy in the face.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I don't mind the stiff arm, but I find it comical when the runner blatantly grabs the defender's facemask and it's never called.

Wonderboy

Rookie
It was called on Brian Quick this year. It's probably the only time in the history of the NFL that a personal foul for facemasking has been called on a ball-carrier. Typical of officiating in Rams games....

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
It's called illegal hands to the face for everybody but the ball carrier...I think it would be OK if there was a level playing field, but IMO it is not...Want to play that game ??? Let the defensive player push the ball carrier down by using the facemask, as long as he doesn't grab it...I'm really tired of all the rules designed to up scoring by helping the offensive side of the ball...It would also help if the rules were applied evenly... They obviously are not..

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with all these comments. It makes no sense that this action is illegal for everybody but the ball carrier. I want the stiff arm in the game. I just think it's silly how the NFL has such double standards.