Why is Paul Boudreau so admired?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
He's made out to be this OL guru guy who works magic. What am I missing that is so great about this guy?

I'm still waiting for this great OL to step forward but every year it's pretty much the same old OL that can't protect it's QB or push anyone backwards.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
It's because he's in st louis... if he was anywhere else we would have never heard of him.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I know I will get lambasted for bringing this up, but much of the pressure has been because of players not on the Oline. TE's and RB's have been brutal in blitz pickup all season. For someone who is supposed to be the best blocking TE on the roster, Cory Harkey has been exposed numerous times in pass pro. Lance Kendricks got roasted last night, and had a guy who jumped off his feet while trying to blitz, and still managed to push Kendricks into Davis. While Stacy is not afraid to stick his nose in and has improved, he too has had his moments. Mason got run over.

So while i understand why most are quick to point the blame on Boudreau and the offensive line, I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Also, having Davis bail much too quickly makes it seem a whole lot worse than it is.

Last edited:

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Because he's a great O-line coach? First stint here he gave Steven an O-line that gave him his best stats in his entire career, worked with the Falcons who experienced a great turnover, helped make Michael Turner, kept Ryan to a high of 26 sacks, guy was barely touched in that 4 year span. After he left his sacks went from 28 to skyrocketing to 44, and the o-line hasn't looked solid since. Guy's mark is obvious, just because the O-line looks bad doesn't mean that the coach is immediately the suspect.

The interior is great, Barksdale, Robinson and others are looking strong. RBs and TEs are failing to pick up their coverage consistently, and he's got to make something out of nothing with our overpriced slugs Long and Wells and a turnstile like Joseph. Paul is good, but he can't make something out of nothing, the O-line can only be so good until Fisher admits those guys are busts and stops trying to work them in.

Last edited:

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I know I will get lambasted for bringing this up, but much of the pressure has been because of players not on the Oline. TE's and RB's have been brutal in blitz pickup all season. For someone who is supposed to be the best blocking TE on the roster has been exposed numerous times in pass pro. Lance Kendricks got roasted last night, and had a guy who jumped off his feet while trying to blitz, and still managed to push Kendricks into Davis. While Stacy is not afraid to stick his nose in and has improved, he too has had his moments. Mason got run over.

So while i understand why most are quick to point the blame on Boudreau and the offensive line, I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Also, having Davis bail much too quickly makes it seem a whole lot worse than it is.

I agree.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Robinson looked fantastic last night, he still had some issues but it was night and day from his preseason performances and he played very very well. And he was mainly against Justin Smith too, one of the best defensive ends in the league.

That's why Boudreau is so admired. He gets a lot from his players and he works wonders. Sorry if you don't see it, but he's done an incredible job here.

lockdnram21

Legend
I know I will get lambasted for bringing this up, but much of the pressure has been because of players not on the Oline. TE's and RB's have been brutal in blitz pickup all season. For someone who is supposed to be the best blocking TE on the roster, Cory Harkey has been exposed numerous times in pass pro. Lance Kendricks got roasted last night, and had a guy who jumped off his feet while trying to blitz, and still managed to push Kendricks into Davis. While Stacy is not afraid to stick his nose in and has improved, he too has had his momeMason got run over.

so u want davis to stay in there and get
hit. just about every time he left the pocket he had to.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I know I will get lambasted for bringing this up, but much of the pressure has been because of players not on the Oline.
I agree with your post, and I don't think you'll get lambasted, especially after last night's showing.

Because he's a great O-line coach? ... The interior is great ... he's got to make something out of nothing with our overpriced slugs Long and Wells and a turnstile like Joseph.
I agree that Bou is a good coach, and it's an overreaction to start blaming him for everything. But I can't agree with your saying the interior is great. You correctly pointed out that Wells & Joseph are pathetic. The coach has to share in some of this blame since he was part of the evaluation that brought Joseph here and also part of failing to replace Wells. Why isn't Barnes good to go? Maybe he is and it's just another example of Fisher stubbornly playing vets over youngsters, even when they are as washed up as Wells? Dunno. I won't blame him for Long getting beat or vets failing, but an o-line that doesn't know how to block a simple stunt certainly reflects poorly on the coach.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
so u want davis to stay in there and get
hit. just about every time he left the pocket he had to.

I dont agree with that. There are plenty of times he has time to get the ball off, but bails at the first hint of pressure, even when there is none.

How many QBs do you see "scramble" in 7 0n 7 drills to keep a play alive (with no pass rush) because he can't find where to go with the ball when he is supposed to throw it? It has translated to his game day MO and isn't' always necessary.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I know I will get lambasted for bringing this up, but much of the pressure has been because of players not on the Oline. TE's and RB's have been brutal in blitz pickup all season. For someone who is supposed to be the best blocking TE on the roster, Cory Harkey has been exposed numerous times in pass pro. Lance Kendricks got roasted last night, and had a guy who jumped off his feet while trying to blitz, and still managed to push Kendricks into Davis. While Stacy is not afraid to stick his nose in and has improved, he too has had his moments. Mason got run over.

I agree, and I have a question for you, coachO, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Robinson was Starting against the 49ers. Were you and what did you think of his play!? ( I was watching, as carefully as I could, both him and Donald once I heard they were starters!)

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I agree, and I have a question for you, coachO, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Robinson was Starting against the 49ers. Were you and what did you think of his play!? ( I was watching, as carefully as I could, both him and Donald once I heard they were starters!)
My seats are on the 20 yard line visitors side of the field on the end the Rams warm up on. And I have re-watched the televised broadcast again this morning. I have not watched Robinson closely. My initial thoughts were he held his own against arguably the single player the Rams have had the most problems with in the past. I think he had issues picking up the stunts, (not a surprise), and a few missteps when pulling. But overall, I think he played well enough.

I had been told to expect him to start, so it was not a surprise to me. I do think, as a sidenote, they abandoned the running game way too soon, which only would have made him more effective.

Last edited:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

We thought pre-season our young RB's were going to be a bit of trouble trying to pass block and so it has proved. Disapointed with the TE's though. Grob looked good last night though! Barksdale's been great. Long looks like he's not quick enough anymore. Like maybe he's not trusting his knee and is moving a bit slow because of it still which is a worry. Wells has been dreadful. Joseph has been awful. Saffolds been ok. JMO though.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick

Ok, then what kind of excuses do you have when it's not Harkey, Mason, Kendricks or anbody else who isn't a O-Linemen? Our O-Line really has played poorly so far this year. 95% of Rams fans would have never heard of Boudrou if he wasn't here in St Louis