Why is ex-Rams CB Darryl Henley Still in Prison?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/08/10/darryl-henley-rams-prison-sentence-mandatory-minimum-drug-offense

Why is Darryl Henley Still in Prison?

Victim of the Drug War’s harsh mandatory sentencing, as well as possible racial bias and entrapment, the onetime Rams star is 20 years into a 41-year jail term. It’s time the government consider whether he, like many non-violent offenders, has paid his dues and deserves a new chance

by Michael McKnight

darryl-henley-rams-1994.jpg

By Michael McKnight/@McKnight_Mike_

News item, July 13: In conjunction with a bipartisan effort to reform the criminal justice system, President Obama commuted the sentences of 46 non-violent drug offenders, many of whom had been serving lengthy federal prison terms under mandatory sentencing guidelines established in the ’80s and ’90s as part of the so-called War on Drugs. According to The Washington Post, since the Obama administration announced plans last year to commute the sentences of certain non-violent offenders, more than 35,000 inmates, 17 percent of the federal prison population, have applied for clemency.

YAZOO CITY, Miss.—When Los Angeles Rams cornerback Darryl Henley was convicted 20 years ago of conspiring to traffic cocaine, it deeply injured the hundred or so people closest to the formerly highly regarded hometown hero—and elicited a yawn from everyone else.

It was March 28, 1995—Kato Kaelin’s final day on the witness stand in the O.J. Simpson murder trial. Mark Fuhrmann’s testimony had concluded a few days earlier. No one cared about the 10-week federal drug trial that was wrapping up in Orange County, twenty miles south of Judge Ito’s courtroom in downtown L.A. Newspaper readers didn’t concern themselves with the item that appeared about the Henley juror who had called the five defendants “n------” during the trial and predicted that they were “gonna hang.”

And even fewer noticed in 2001—after five years of FBI work and court testimony on the issue—when the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals admonished Henley’s trial judge by reminding him that “the Sixth Amendment is violated by ‘the bias or prejudice of even a single juror.’”

Back in 1995, we were too enamored with Cochran, Clark and Court TV to notice the blurb about a second Henley juror who admitted using methamphetamine throughout the trial, or a third Henley juror who had not only discussed the case with the other two misbehaving jurors during their daily carpool, but had showed up unannounced at Henley’s home a week before the verdict to tell Henley that the meth-abusing juror would vote for Henley’s acquittal in exchange for $25,000.

The clean-cut, diminutive (5–9, 170-pound) Henley had been by far the most difficult among the five defendants to convict, according to the eight jurors I interviewed while researching Intercepted, the book I wrote in 2012 about Henley’s rise and fall. His limited involvement in the drug scheme, his promising future and his tidy, educated demeanor made it difficult for jurors to condemn him to the mandatory minimum of 10 years in federal prison.

But the main roadblock for jurors was what one of them called “the why of it. It made no sense. Why would he do this?” The other defendants (except Henley’s uncle Rex, characterized by the evidence as a dimwitted bystander), had rap sheets and previous drug convictions. These three defendants—Rafael Bustamante, Willie McGowan and Garey West—were released from prison more than 10 years ago, yet Henley remains inside the Federal Correctional Institution in Yazoo City, Miss., with at least 16 more years to serve.

Yazoo is a low-security facility. Henley, now 48, earned a transfer there by keeping his head down during the years he spent at two of the worst federal prisons in the country: USP Marion in Illinois and ADX Florence in Colorado—and by using the education he gained in parochial schools and at UCLA (where he graduated with a history degree in 1989) to help inmates earn their GEDs.

A unanimous First Team All-America as a UCLA senior in 1988 (Deion Sanders was the other corner on that All-America team), Henley was the Rams’ starting right cornerback for the last four of his six NFL seasons. He started the last game the Rams ever played in Anaheim, on Christmas Eve ’94 against Washington. The opponents that day had a 5-9 corner of their own, Darrell Green, who would end up in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and who recently began the long process of producing a documentary film about Henley. Green, who resides in the D.C. area, is also eager to make the White House aware of Henley’s story, including all of its trap doors and tunnels.

darryl-henley-rams-action-1992.jpg

A second-round pick of the Rams in 1989, Henley had 12 INTs over six seasons with the club. (Photo: John Biever/Sports Illustrated)

Henley has admitted that he was involved in the ill-fated cocaine conspiracy for which he stood trial in ’95, but only as silent financial insurance for his boyhood friend McGowan—“I was trying to help Willie out. I said I would be there for him if anything went wrong. I wasn’t seeking any financial gain from this.”

Despite extensive evidence that supported Henley’s contention, and despite the dubious testimony of prosecution witness Tracy Donaho, the Rams cheerleader who had transported McGowan’s and Bustamante’s cocaine-filled suitcases on commercial jets and who, at trial, fingered Henley as the mastermind of the scheme in exchange for sentencing leniency, Henley was found guilty by jurors, several of whom wept as they left court. (Donaho, the only Caucasian and the only Orange County resident charged in the scheme, was sentenced to four months in a halfway house.)

Henley’s other co-defendants would eventually be freed because of something Henley did. Back in 1996, when all five of them were freshly convicted and being held in an L.A. prison awaiting sentencing, Henley paid a guard to smuggle a cell phone to him at night. Henley used this phone to talk with his family and his fiancée, who had just given birth to his daughter.

Henley would also use this phone to speak with a member of the Mafia, an older man named Joey Gambino who had been introduced to Henley by an inmate on Henley’s cell bloc. Over the phone, this Mafioso offered Henley a stake in a lucrative heroin deal. Henley, who was appealing his conviction based on the jury’s misconduct and the prosecution’s zealous Drug War tactics but had run out of money following a long and costly trial, considered the Mafioso's offer, then accepted it.

“Like an idiot,” he says today, less angry with himself than sad for the supporters who remain crippled by his transgressions. “I did it purely for the money. I had a baby daughter. My family was broke. I wanted to fight [the verdict].”

Henley should have known something was amiss when—after he told Joey Gambino that he didn’t have any up-front cash for the drug deal—Gambino offered to murder “the cheerleader” (Donaho) and the presiding judge, Gary Taylor, and to take his fee for these hits out of Henley’s imminent drug earnings. No need for any front money, Gambino said.

Instead, enraged at the injustices he felt had been committed at trial and humiliated by the shame he had heaped upon his family, Henley agreed to this deal during a cell phone conversation that, like all the other ones, was recorded by Joey Gambino—who wasn’t a Mafioso at all but an undercover DEA agent with a voice like Don Corleone’s. The convict on Henley’s cell bloc who had put the fake mobster in touch with Henley was an informant who was released from prison the day Henley was charged with murder solicitation and heroin trafficking.

Five years later, when the Ninth Circuit ruled that the racial bias on the Henley jury warranted a deeper look, the presiding judge and prosecutors on Henley’s case quietly made the whole thing go away by releasing Henley’s co-defendants, who had served a fraction of their 12- to 18-year sentences. Henley, however, stayed locked up because he had given up his right to contest the trial verdict as part of his guilty plea in the DEA-invented drugs-for-murder scheme he agreed to with “Joey Gambino.” Henley’s sentence, with the new conviction tacked on, totaled 41 years. And so here he is in Yazoo City.

darryl-henley-daughter-2005.jpg

Henley with his daughter, Gia, during a visit to him in prison in Texas in 2005. (Photo: Courtesy Darryl Henley)

The case for reconsidering Darryl Henley is not an outraged declaration of his innocence. It merely asks whether the 20 years he has served for his crimes so far, when all of the circumstances are weighed, has been punishment enough. It asks that President Obama and his advisers weigh the idea of commuting the remainder of Henley’s sentence the way he commuted the sentences last month of 46 other inmates who were condemned to decades of federal time for non-violent drug offenses.

It is a case for rethinking the complex and serpentine facts within Henley’s downfall—including his indefensible crimes and his hubris, the trait that by all accounts led to his downfall, and which by all accounts (including the Bureau of Prisons), has faded over the last 20 years into a quiet peace that lingers on him between visits from his elderly parents or his only daughter, who is now in college.

The case for reconsidering Darryl Henley is a case for asking: Why 41 years when Henley has never fired a weapon or struck a person (other than on a football field) in his life? Why is Henley’s release scheduled for 2031 when Rae Carruth, the NFL receiver convicted in 2001 of conspiracy in the murder of Cherica Adams, who was pregnant with his child, is set to get out of prison in 2018?

The case for reconsidering Darryl Henley is also a case for examining the wordentrapment and seeing if it applies to what happened among Henley, the jailhouse informant and “Joey Gambino” in the spring of 1996.

It’s a case for asking whether the DEA—whose chief, Michele Leonhart, stepped down in April in the wake of her handling of a prostitution scandal involving DEA agents in Colombia and a rift between her and Obama over the president’s revised, more tolerant position on marijuana—might have made a few mistakes of its own over the years.

It’s a case for Henley’s only child, Gia, who against all odds has forged a trusting, loving relationship with her dad over the years, and has not let the sordid events surrounding her birth deter her from pursuing a college degree, first at Cal State-Los Angeles, and now at the University of Houston, where she transferred this summer so she and her dad could live closer to one another. It’s a case for the love that inspired that move and the hope she holds of embracing her father as a free man for the first time in her life, sometime before she is 36 and he is 65.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Did his family write that fluff piece? Poor Darryl. Maybe Obama will come to his prison and free him too. It happened for Demaryius Thomas's Mom; why not him?

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Dept of corrections baby!....incarcerating more people than the rest of the world combined.....fuck the war on drugs.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
17,000 thousand non-violent inmates? How much is that costing you?

Man, I try not to get into this, but there are some really noticeable differences in attitudes to some things in the U.S. and Europe. Not saying either is right.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
The man made a mistake and has paid for it with a big chunk of his life.However as much as it does look like entrapment by the DEA it says a lot of his state of mind and what he's willing to do.

Moostache

Rookie
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/08/10/darryl-henley-rams-prison-sentence-mandatory-minimum-drug-offense

The case for reconsidering Darryl Henley is a case for asking: Why 41 years when Henley has never fired a weapon or struck a person (other than on a football field) in his life? Why is Henley’s release scheduled for 2031 when Rae Carruth, the NFL receiver convicted in 2001 of conspiracy in the murder of Cherica Adams, who was pregnant with his child, is set to get out of prison in 2018?

I do not care one bit what anyone's thoughts on drug use or the drug trade is, the quote above is a complete miscarriage of justice in any light. That son of a bitch Carruth is the lowest scum on the planet. He should NEVER breath another breath of freedom and yet he will be out of prison 13 years before a non-violent drug offender? I care about justice and this is not justice being served, this reeks of an opportunistic politician or legislature passing draconian laws to be "tough on crime" rather than actually being "smart about crime".

"Lock 'em up and throw away the key" always gets cheap votes from terrified conservatives and is a convenient cudgel to beat liberals over the head with...but the sad thing is it does nothing to prevent crime, nothing to make society better or safer and nothing but pervert justice in the end. It sickens me to think that Rae Carruth will get out of prison at all, but getting out before non-violent drug offenders is flat out raping the concept of justice.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Uh, not sure if I missed something but last I remember he tried to have the judge in his case murdered as well as the cheerleader? I'm an old liberal California hippie, but even I think it's somewhat laughable trying to paint an attempted murderer as a non-violent victim of the war on drugs here.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OC - so first he conspired with the guard to put out a hit on the judge and main witness, and only when that fell through did he fall prey to the fake mafioso and again tried to put out two hits?

Nonviolent my ass. The original article is a puff piece at best.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is an old article but it may shed some light on his mindset.

In my prison ministry I come across men all the time who are in there for either selling illegal drugs, consuming them, or committing crimes while under the influence of them. I would guess that around 70% of the inmates are in there for those reasons. The 'war on drugs' is not working. There needs to be more emphasis on rehabilitation and less on incarceration, imo.

In Henley's case, entrapment or not, he would have been released long ago if it hadn't been for the murder-for-hire charge.
http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/s/000513henley.html

Backed into a corner
By Shelley Smith
Special to ESPN.com

They came at him slowly and carefully, he remembers now, creeping out of the cracks in the walls when the lights were lowest in the wild hours of the night. He was there, too, of course, living the lifestyle of a man who seemingly had everything -- looks, brains and money, lots of money thrown at him to play football in the NFL. That, of course, was his attraction, the sugar spill on the countertop that draws the roaches.

Darryl Henley really did have it all. He was a starting cornerback for the Los Angeles Rams after becoming an All-American at UCLA, where he graduated with a 3.3 grade-point average in finance. He came from a family of success -- both his mother and father had college degrees, one brother was graduated from Stanford, another from Rice. They were a close group, on the phone night after night, swapping stories and telling jokes. They were, if not the Cosbys, damn near close.

"You can't look at me and say, 'Oh, a product of the environment,' " Henley says now. "I have some pretty awesome parents and I was living a dream I worked my ass off for."

That dream was shattered in 1995 when Henley was convicted on drug trafficking charges and sentenced to 20 years in prison. It vanished for good two years later when another 21 years were added to his sentence, when he pleaded guilty to trying to hire a hitman to murder his sentencing judge and a witness in the case.

Henley is now an inmate at the U.S. Penitentiary in Marion, Ill. Where once he was on the phone constantly with his brothers, he is now allowed just five 15-minute phone calls per month. Where once he was surrounded by scores of "his boys" and plenty of girlfriends, he now sees outsiders only through glass and talks via a receiver. He is locked in his small cell for 22 hours each day, spending his time watching a tiny television or listening to the radio. He is 33 years old and not even eligible for parole until he is 65.

"I lost focus," he says, sitting in the visitors center at Marion, one of the country's two maximum security federal prisons. "It was as simple as that. I lost focus as to knowing what got me to where I was."

He forgot about all the extra workouts he forced himself to push through while at UCLA, all the times he ran sprints in the rain when nobody was around, the hours he spent in the weight room after his teammates left for dinner, all the times he heard he wasn't big enough or strong enough or fast enough to make it at UCLA, let alone the NFL, and vowed to work even harder than before.

He started believing, now that had met all those goals and more -- heck, he was starting for the Rams -- that he didn't need to work at it anymore, that he didn't need to do all those things. And he started hanging out. First it was until midnight, then midnight became 1 a.m., 2 a.m. Pretty soon it was 4 a.m., catch a few hours of sleep, go through two hours of practice and then go home to nap before starting all over again.

Darryl Henley addresses his "drastic fall" from the NFL in his own words at www.darrylhenley.com, the former Rams cornerback's official web site. Henley intends to use the site to "extend my personal experiences to others who may be headed for the same tragedy."

"Every time I read in the newspaper, listen to the radio or hear on television how another professional athlete (namely an NFL athlete) has had an encounter with the law/law enforcement, I cringe and become angry because there are plenty of examples," Henley writes.

The site, which includes Henley's e-mail address, has a link to In Distress Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization that has created a defense fund for Henley and accepts contributions to pay for his court appeals.

"And when you go out and you're hanging out at two, three, four in the morning -- every single morning, you're going to attract people of all types," he says. "I don't care who you are, I don't care how straightlaced you are. If you choose to, to hang out in this type of atmosphere, then people are going to come. They're going to flock to you. And for the most part, you do a good job of staying clear of situations. But then there are those that just sneak up on you."

Sneak up and start working the angle. Henley says it took a few weeks, but it wasn't long before he was hanging out with people he says now he thought were his friends.

"For all intents and purposes, yeah," he says, "They were my friends. I mean, they made me laugh. They came over and we kicked it. They came and watched me work out. If they didn't want to work out, didn't want to job, they would drive alongside of me in my Mercedes while I ran. You know? Whatever it was that I wanted them to do."

For a while, he says, it was cool. He liked the camaraderie he says was lacking with the Rams during those years as management either traded or waived many of the players Henley had been close to. He liked having people around who, he thought, shared the same interests.

And then, he says, they started introducing him to their friends and friends of their friends. And before he knew it, he was thick into something he couldn't identify, but something he was into too deep to get out of. Henley can't talk about the details of his case because of appeals he has made, but he will say that had he wouldn't be in the situation he is now if he had made better decisions about his friends.

"Ultimately I'm the one that's responsible for what's happened in my life, but I do think that 90 percent of it is due to the choices I made as far associations that I picked, chose. Associations with people who, at some point, I knew didn't have the same interests as I did. And when you compromise that, and you allow yourself to lose focus -- things can spiral downward. And you find yourself in a situation where, as hard as you try, you can't pull yourself up."

It wasn't long after they all met, he says, that they got caught, something nobody had thought of, and convicted. Suddenly, the spiral downward was out of control. He says he was angry, confused and, most of all, desperate -- so desperate that his thinking became irrational and warped to the extent that he'd do anything to make this all go away. And that's when the idea of killing the judge and the witness -- a former Rams cheerleader -- began sounding like a lifeline. But he got caught then, too, and his life was changed forever.

He watched his old team win the Super Bowl this year from his cell -- the second worst day in his life, he says. Not because he wished them ill-will, but because he could see what he once was and remembered what might have been. His worst day was when the first morning he woke up at Marion.

"I looked at myself in the mirror and saw me," he says.

He was also watching TV in his cell when he heard about Ray Lewis being arrested for murder the night after the Super Bowl and all he could feel then was rage because nobody seems to have learned anything from what had happened to him.

"I just saw myself all over again," he says. "I got the same painful feelings."

Athletes, Henley says, don't realize how vulnerable they really are and, if he could, he'd tell them "that you're not that far away from wearing a different uniform than you wear on Sundays."

"You're not that far away," he added. "I mean, the decisions that you make -- I mean, I am fighting for my life. We're talking about decisions you make. Be conscious of every single decision because you don't know which decision it will be that will keep you in that uniform or put you in this one. You don't know."

Henley hasn't seen a night outside since 1995. He has a wife who continues to stand by him and visits regularly. He has a 4-year-old daughter in California who asks God every night to bring her daddy home. Knowing that it won't happen -- not until she's close to 40 years old -- has nearly destroyed him.

"I am going to continue to be the best father I can be to her under these circumstances," he said. "Some people (say), 'Well, you don't have much of a life.' But I have a life. I have a life where I can still be progressive and still be positive no matter how hard it gets."

And that means speaking out, trying to get a message to young athletes who feel invincible, pleading with them to think about him locked in a cell for at least 32 more years.

"Not one thing we did was worth it," he said. "Not one place we went. Not one stripper we saw. Nothing, not one thing was worth that. Not one thing was worth them saying -- guilty as charged. These are the demons that I have to battle every night."

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

I'm not an attorney...I don't have knowledge of everything that went on nor how it went on...I have no horse in this race...Having said those things, this article sure seems to paint a different picture than the one(s) that portray him as an individual who made a pretty large mistake, but was a victim of entrapment with regard to everything that transpired after that...

fearsomefour

Legend
I do remember this being a huge story in So Cal. I remember news stories on it every day. The "yawning" was not true.
Anyway, trying to get a judge killed....they tend to frown on that.
The so called "war on drugs" is either nonsense or the biggest failure in the history of US domestic policy. The imprisonment rate in the US is scary.
As for Henley....20 years, he should be considered for release pretty soon I would think.
The sticking point for him is going to be trying to get a judge killed....that aint gonna help bubba.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Uhhh, what?! HE initiated a drug deal and two hits from prison with a guard who was also convicted. There was no "entrapment". The phone and DEA agent came into it because HE asked for someone to make the hits.

I'm not big on drug laws, and maybe he shouldn't have been there in the first place and that should be considered, but when you attempt to have a juror, witness, and judge murdered? 41 years sounds about right to me.

This story is just that, a story.

Moostache

Rookie
Uh, not sure if I missed something but last I remember he tried to have the judge in his case murdered as well as the cheerleader? I'm an old liberal California hippie, but even I think it's somewhat laughable trying to paint an attempted murderer as a non-violent victim of the war on drugs here.

I was commenting more on Carruth than Henley's case...but if what you say is true and part of Henley's issues were in part trying to contract for murder, then he is getting what he deserves...I'm still frothy about the Carruth being released thing...I thought he got life in prison for what he did.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
.I'm still frothy about the Carruth being released thing...I thought he got life in prison for what he did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rae_Carruth

On November 16, 1999, near Carruth's home in Charlotte, North Carolina, Cherica Adams, a real estate agent he had been casually dating, was shot four times by Van Brett Watkins Sr., a night club manager and an associate of Carruth. Adams managed to call 911, and said that Carruth had stopped his vehicle in front of hers, and that another vehicle drove alongside and its passenger had shot her. Carruth then drove away from the scene.

Adams was eight months pregnant with Carruth's child at the time. Soon after her admission to the hospital, she fell into a coma. Doctors delivered the baby via emergency Caesarean section. Carruth went to the police and posted a $3 million bail, on condition that if either Adams or the infant died, he would turn himself in. Adams died on December 14, 1999. The baby, named Chancellor Lee Adams, survived, but suffered permanent brain damage due to being without oxygen for 70 minutes.

Carruth fled after Adams' death, and was captured on December 15 in western Tennessee, found hiding in the trunk of a car outside a motel in Parkers Crossroads. Also in the trunk was $3,900 cash, bottles of his urine, extra clothes, candy bars, and a cell phone. The Panthers waived him on December 16, citing a morals clause in his contract.

At trial, prosecutors contended that Carruth hired Watkins and others to murder Adams because of her refusal to abort their unborn child. The defense claimed Carruth had been caught up in a drug deal gone bad. They claimed that on the night of the shooting, after Carruth had refused to fund the drug deal, Watkins shot Adams in a sudden rage when she "flipped him off" after he had attempted to ask her about Carruth's whereabouts.

Carruth was found guilty of conspiracy to commit murder, shooting into an occupied vehicle, and using an instrument to destroy an unborn child. He was sentenced to 18 to 24 years in prison. He was found not guilty of first-degree murder, and so was spared the death penalty. He is serving the sentence at Harnett Correctional Institution in Lillington, North Carolina, with a projected release date of October 22, 2018.

The driver of the vehicle used in the murder, Michael Kennedy, pled guilty to second degree murder and was sentenced to 11 years and eight months. Kennedy was released in 2011. Watkins pled guilty to charges stemming from the shooting, and was sentenced to a minimum of 40 years and three months.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My take:
Nice story... but, when Henley took those actions while still in prison, he sealed his fate.

Is he a changed man? I have no idea. But, based on the evidence, he appeared to be a violent person back then. He'll get his hearings, even Charlie Manson does. I guess it's up to those folks as to when he gets out.

But he was certainly no angel and not an innocent victim, like the story suggests.

Carruth? I'd better not write anything (isn't there some rule about profanity here? ;))