Why is Bradford waiting to have surgery?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I just don't understand why he is waiting? By all accounts there was no swelling because the repair was not fully healed. So if there is no swelling why isn't he getting this over with so he can start rehabing sooner?

Anyone heard or have an opinion????:confused:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

V3

Hall of Fame
If I remember correctly, for ACL tears, it's better to wait for swelling to go down and also to start rehab on certain muscles in the leg so it's stronger for post-op rehab and isn't so atrophied. Could be wrong.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Thought this was interesting, but you get to see what goes into an ACL surgery. It was on Hard Knocks this year. Posting for those that didn't see it.

Warning: Actual surgery footage, don't watch if you're squeamish.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

can't he just wrap some duct tape around the knee and play in week 2?

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
When you retear the graft, sometimes they wait to see if the bone density around the graft site is strong enough to hold the new graft. If it isn't, then the surgeon has to do a bone graft first, which can delay the ACL procedure by up to 6 months. It is the main reason why ACL revision surgery only has a 60% success rate compared to 90% for the initial procedure.

V3

Hall of Fame
I still have serious questions about if this team(and perhaps Bradford himself) pushed him back too soon. It hadn't even been a year post-op and that's when the likelihood is highest to re-injure a repaired ACL.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When you retear the graft, sometimes they wait to see if the bone density around the graft site is strong enough to hold the new graft. If it isn't, then the surgeon has to do a bone graft first, which can delay the ACL procedure by up to 6 months. It is the main reason why ACL revision surgery only has a 60% success rate compared to 90% for the initial procedure.
I've read the repair is stronger than the original ACL....I was actually surprised he re-tore the same one....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This is a great visual of the real thing....Like Mr. Spock would say fascinating....

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
I've read the repair is stronger than the original ACL....I was actually surprised he re-tore the same one....
Yeah it makes me think that the site where the graft is attached might not have healed up as strong as it should. Not much Bradford can do about that.

Dick84

Maybe he's not mentally ready for it. Guy rehabbed nonstop and then.. ugh.

I don't blame him if that is the reason

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Maybe he's not mentally ready for it. Guy rehabbed nonstop and then.. ugh.

I don't blame him if that is the reason
That's my guess. What a grueling process. He could start any time in the next couple of months and still be ready for camp, I'd imagine.

RFIP

I read about this and it all comes rushing back...then I make myself re-watch yesterdays game and I tie the two together and it's just surreal...I've waited all these long months for this? So unfair...

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
If I remember correctly, for ACL tears, it's better to wait for swelling to go down and also to start rehab on certain muscles in the leg so it's stronger for post-op rehab and isn't so atrophied. Could be wrong.

Correct, although in this example as reported by Bradford, there was no significant swelling and he feels fine.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

can't he just wrap some duct tape around the knee and play in week 2?

I seem to remember tearing some shoulder ligaments on the rugby field 20 years ago, I was given the 'magic sponge'* and i was strapped up with bandage and electrical tape to finish the season - I survived and had the best season of my playing career!!!

* the magic sponge was an old sponge in a bucket of iced water ;)

NB - I'm now waiting for a slot in surgery to sort it out, it's still damn painful!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is the way I understand it to be too, and it seemed to work well for Sam Last time! I think that was a weird shot he took this time!!