Why I'm reversing my position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
So drink your Mutha %$##@# kool aid if you want to Rams Brothers. And who knows Goff might just shock you and Gurley might score 20 TDs and we might go to the playoffs.

image_1496538035_20327467.jpg

a-picture-is-worth-a-thousand-words.png

RAMBUSH

Starter
I've gone on record that this is a rebuilding year with too many factors that will mitigate a winning season this year. The QB position is so complex that it simply takes time for a young guy to develop in the NFL. Injuries to key players like Donald, Gurley, Ogletree, Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods, Johnson, or Barwin could derail the integrity of what this team could accomplish. Between that and having to count on a collective unification of so many young players in a first year system having to compete with experienced, veteran defenses indicates we may have to wait a year to see what this offense is capable of accomplishing.

While this was a reasoned assertion a few weeks ago and I vowed not to drink the offseason Kool-Aid, a couple things have changed that have me taking a couple sips now. The big thing was reading MMQB's transcript on 24 hrs w McVay. What stood out to me was his process for developing plays, evaluating film, and involving other coaches in his decision making process. I always scratched my head when the Redskin offense made Gregg Williams' defense look inept with Kirk Cousins. But now I see first hand why it happened. My original premise was that McVay was teaching a new system and the players would have to grow into what McVay has run in Washington. Apparently, that's not the whole story. McVay is developing plays that simplify things for the offense and fit what they are equipped to accomplish successfully as individuals. While the Skins were a high percentage of two TE sets, they also had seasoned vets playing at high levels. Higbee and Everett will have some good plays and develop nicely, but they aren't the best receiving options on the team...they will have an important role, but by percentage, smaller than that of Reed and Davis. Where Reed was their best slot mismatch, I'd say on the Rams McVay would prefer Kupp, Woods, Cooper, or Spruce over Everett (not yet a good route runner) or Higbee (still raw at the position). The other thing that impressed me was McVay's breakdown of Gurley. He's insisting that Gurley keep his shoulders square and develop patience like LeVeon Bell. I watched a couple Steelers games last year and made a similar observation but wrote it off as the two being different types of backs. However, it seems that McVay is astute in this area even as he is with QB's and receivers. I would love to be a fly on the wall hearing his conversations with Kromer to learn how much input he has in developing a running attack similar to Buffalo's. Imagine that...a Redskin like creativity in the passing game combined with the running effectiveness like the Bills. It makes me shiver. At the very least, it would make McVay's offense more effective in the Red Zone where the Skins were particularly weak last year. Combine this with Phillips' penchant for improving defenses, and I'm having difficulty pumping the breaks on my expectations. It's not like we as Rams fans haven't seen a coordinator produce unimaginable results in year one...though there's no way we have the same talent as the GSOT. But it doesn't have to be that dramatic for a 10 win season. Therefore, I'm retracting my position and am getting mildly buzzed about this year.
Well it's bound to happen ... I guzzle it every single year..

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I always scratched my head when the Redskin offense made Gregg Williams' defense look inept with Kirk Cousins.
Skins line played dominant football that day. Turned Jones into a HOFer for the day.

The other thing that impressed me was McVay's breakdown of Gurley. He's insisting that Gurley keep his shoulders square and develop patience like LeVeon Bell. I watched a couple Steelers games last year and made a similar observation but wrote it off as the two being different types of backs.
Steelers line played dominant football too.

It is a nice blend, Washington's passing with Buffalo's running. Again, Buffalo's line isn't slouches either. Great line play helps any offense. Great line play aint bad for a defense either....LOL. If we can get these dudes moving forward, I'm positive Gurley will look awesome.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Season after season of losing will deflate the balloon of any fanbase, no matter the sport.
************************************************************************************
http://dailysnark.com/heres-every-nfl-teams-record-past-10-years-ranked-best-worst/

Here’s Every NFL Team’s Record Over The Past 10 Years, Ranked Worst To Best
NFLMemes/January 5, 2017

32. St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams (46-113-1)

9767736-jared-goff-nfl-san-francisco-49ers-los-angeles-rams-1.vadapt.767.high_.0.jpg

****************************************************************************************
But I don't care. Every season is potentially different. Tempering my expectations or living in "reality" based on the past is boring. What's the point of being a fan if you don't have great expectations for your team every new season?

giphy.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was '"drunk" on the Kool-Aid and had such high hopes for the Rams in '99. And then Trent Green went down. Boy, you talk about a let down and letting the air out of the bag.

I have higher hopes for this team, but I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid yet.

Leo, your concerns in your first thread are ligitamate. Its going to take time. But I'm OK with that as long as we see progress.
*note to self....Trust the Kool-Aid
`~bubba

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bflL0XATHAw

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
With no big injuries, and the best schedule since forever I think 9-7 to 10-6 is possible.I don't worry about Goff, but on those young WRs. The O line will be a lot better.

When I watch last years games, no WRs were open on 80% of the plays after game 5-6. With a pro bowl WR, and good man up corners this is a playoff team in 2018-2020...if a few teams have let downs, maybe sooner; one day at a time per Stuart Little....

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
im loving this year im even shelling out for game pass this i believe is the rebirth of the goddam RAMS

im not even too fussed what our record will be for me 8-8 is the bench mark

ill take 7-9 or 6-10 as long as those 10 games we lose are close we are competitive.. still in the 4th qtr .. we move the ball on offense .. as long as we score points .. i want every hallmark of the fisher rams gone.. none of this ball control let the D win it kinda football that burnt us so badly over the last few years

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I'm thinking 11-5.... shoot, Phillips top ranked defense is enough to get us back up to 8-8... but with an improved passing game lead by a much better and much improved Goff... better run game lead Gurley... better Wrs and Tes and better Oline play all the way around should be worth 3 more games.... 11-5...I love Kool Aid. .. ;)

Go Rams..... ;)

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
There's no doubt in my mind we will improve this year.

Here is my list of reasons;

We are minus Fisher.
We are minus Boras.
We are minus Boudreau.
We are minus GWms.

No way we could be any worse.

Blue skies are ahead!

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Injuries to key players like Donald, Gurley, Ogletree, Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods, Johnson, or Barwin could derail the integrity of what this team could accomplish. .

This wouldn't change any year. You can go from a almost guaranteed playoff team to a losing season if the injury bug hits hard. There are some teams that seem like the injuries don't matter and others where one star player goes down and derails the whole season. (See Patriots many times or 2016 Raiders)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not expecting too much from the Rams this season though, tbh... Just, like, I don't know, 11 wins or so.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never feel the need to temper my enthusiasm, now is the time to feel positive.
If the Rams season is a bust, it just sucks no matter what my expectation level was.

Last year PRE SEASON
508227100_1794813.gif

Last year MID SEASON
861ef8e34477043d3fc6b07d371be892.jpg

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
I'm right where I was going into the last weeks OTA. The Rams did a great job in the off season reshuffling their deck. They made so many good moves from HC to FA to the Draft. They have things in place to be competitive and win games. They should improve the 4-12 record. I say getting close to 8-8 is a nice turn around. There is a fine line in between winning a losing in the NFL 7-9 or 8-8 or 9-7 seem a real possibility.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why does everyone make a big deal of that one yard? If they scored it would only tie the game. It wasn't like the tackle prevented them from winning. Amazing tackle, text book by Mike Jones (right?) but it didn't prevent us from losing, it nailed the coffin shut and confirmed the win.
I wasn't making a "big deal" about the one- yard, it was about the end result of the Trent Green injury that I was responding to. Remember, he said that his "balloon deflated after that injury"....ever notice that when you have to explain a joke, it's just not as funny? lol

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Been down this road too many times over the last decade. Not sure what to think about where this team stands right now. I hope they play hard each game, and give themselves a chance to win in close games. I am excited to see what they put on the field. I honestly think we are a couple more personnel moves/draft, along with another year of experience away from being a playoff contender.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Look at the division, Hags and Zona are regressing. 40'ers will be better than most think, but still 9 players short of being 49'ers.
9 wins might take the Div, 10 for sure. The Rams might be the only team that can get to 10.
Rams play 7 games before the bye. They should be 6-1 no worse than 5-2. If somehow they end up 2-5 then draftboards will take a radical re-stacking.
There's 13 wins on Sch. They should win 11 of the 13. No excuses.
2 caveats.
Whitworth gets hurt early. We get a 6 page playbook ala Boras.
Donald holds out. The D gets very mediocre.