Why I'm reversing my position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I've gone on record that this is a rebuilding year with too many factors that will mitigate a winning season this year. The QB position is so complex that it simply takes time for a young guy to develop in the NFL. Injuries to key players like Donald, Gurley, Ogletree, Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods, Johnson, or Barwin could derail the integrity of what this team could accomplish. Between that and having to count on a collective unification of so many young players in a first year system having to compete with experienced, veteran defenses indicates we may have to wait a year to see what this offense is capable of accomplishing.

While this was a reasoned assertion a few weeks ago and I vowed not to drink the offseason Kool-Aid, a couple things have changed that have me taking a couple sips now. The big thing was reading MMQB's transcript on 24 hrs w McVay. What stood out to me was his process for developing plays, evaluating film, and involving other coaches in his decision making process. I always scratched my head when the Redskin offense made Gregg Williams' defense look inept with Kirk Cousins. But now I see first hand why it happened. My original premise was that McVay was teaching a new system and the players would have to grow into what McVay has run in Washington. Apparently, that's not the whole story. McVay is developing plays that simplify things for the offense and fit what they are equipped to accomplish successfully as individuals. While the Skins were a high percentage of two TE sets, they also had seasoned vets playing at high levels. Higbee and Everett will have some good plays and develop nicely, but they aren't the best receiving options on the team...they will have an important role, but by percentage, smaller than that of Reed and Davis. Where Reed was their best slot mismatch, I'd say on the Rams McVay would prefer Kupp, Woods, Cooper, or Spruce over Everett (not yet a good route runner) or Higbee (still raw at the position). The other thing that impressed me was McVay's breakdown of Gurley. He's insisting that Gurley keep his shoulders square and develop patience like LeVeon Bell. I watched a couple Steelers games last year and made a similar observation but wrote it off as the two being different types of backs. However, it seems that McVay is astute in this area even as he is with QB's and receivers. I would love to be a fly on the wall hearing his conversations with Kromer to learn how much input he has in developing a running attack similar to Buffalo's. Imagine that...a Redskin like creativity in the passing game combined with the running effectiveness like the Bills. It makes me shiver. At the very least, it would make McVay's offense more effective in the Red Zone where the Skins were particularly weak last year. Combine this with Phillips' penchant for improving defenses, and I'm having difficulty pumping the breaks on my expectations. It's not like we as Rams fans haven't seen a coordinator produce unimaginable results in year one...though there's no way we have the same talent as the GSOT. But it doesn't have to be that dramatic for a 10 win season. Therefore, I'm retracting my position and am getting mildly buzzed about this year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've gone on record that this is a rebuilding year with too many factors that will mitigate a winning season this year. The QB position is so complex that it simply takes time for a young guy to develop in the NFL. Injuries to key players like Donald, Gurley, Ogletree, Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods, Johnson, or Barwin could derail the integrity of what this team could accomplish. Between that and having to count on a collective unification of so many young players in a first year system having to compete with experienced, veteran defenses indicates we may have to wait a year to see what this offense is capable of accomplishing.

While this was a reasoned assertion a few weeks ago and I vowed not to drink the offseason Kool-Aid, a couple things have changed that have me taking a couple sips now. The big thing was reading MMQB's transcript on 24 hrs w McVay. What stood out to me was his process for developing plays, evaluating film, and involving other coaches in his decision making process. I always scratched my head when the Redskin offense made Gregg Williams' defense look inept with Kirk Cousins. But now I see first hand why it happened. My original premise was that McVay was teaching a new system and the players would have to grow into what McVay has run in Washington. Apparently, that's not the whole story. McVay is developing plays that simplify things for the offense and fit what they are equipped to accomplish successfully as individuals. While the Skins were a high percentage of two TE sets, they also had seasoned vets playing at high levels. Higbee and Everett will have some good plays and develop nicely, but they aren't the best receiving options on the team...they will have an important role, but by percentage, smaller than that of Reed and Davis. Where Reed was their best slot mismatch, I'd say on the Rams McVay would prefer Kupp, Woods, Cooper, or Spruce over Everett (not yet a good route runner) or Higbee (still raw at the position). The other thing that impressed me was McVay's breakdown of Gurley. He's insisting that Gurley keep his shoulders square and develop patience like LeVeon Bell. I watched a couple Steelers games last year and made a similar observation but wrote it off as the two being different types of backs. However, it seems that McVay is astute in this area even as he is with QB's and receivers. I would love to be a fly on the wall hearing his conversations with Kromer to learn how much input he has in developing a running attack similar to Buffalo's. Imagine that...a Redskin like creativity in the passing game combined with the running effectiveness like the Bills. It makes me shiver. At the very least, it would make McVay's offense more effective in the Red Zone where the Skins were particularly weak last year. Combine this with Phillips' penchant for improving defenses, and I'm having difficulty pumping the breaks on my expectations. It's not like we as Rams fans haven't seen a coordinator produce unimaginable results in year one...though there's no way we have the same talent as the GSOT. But it doesn't have to be that dramatic for a 10 win season. Therefore, I'm retracting my position and am getting mildly buzzed about this year.
wPdtlkO.jpg

leo, cherry or grape flavor?
~Kool-Aid Man

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I've gone on record that this is a rebuilding year with too many factors that will mitigate a winning season this year. The QB position is so complex that it simply takes time for a young guy to develop in the NFL. McVay is developing plays that simplify things for the offense and fit what they are equipped to accomplish successfully as individuals. The other thing that impressed me was McVay's breakdown of Gurley. it seems that McVay is astute in this area even as he is with QB's and receivers.
Combine this with Phillips' penchant for improving defenses, and I'm having difficulty pumping the breaks on my expectations. It's not like we as Rams fans haven't seen a coordinator produce unimaginable results in year one...though there's no way we have the same talent as the GSOT. But it doesn't have to be that dramatic for a 10 win season. Therefore, I'm retracting my position and am getting mildly buzzed about this year.

________
78ooZUeNGEe8o.webp

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well... I am always a glass half full guy anyway... but we DO have a lot of young talent.

On offense; Goff, Gurley, Austin, Woods, Higbee, GRob, Havenstein, Cooper, Hemingway, Thomas, Reynolds, Kupp, Everett... and others. If McVay can unleash this potential we might be surprised.

Ram65

Legend
Higbee and Everett will have some good plays and develop nicely, but they aren't the best receiving options on the team...they will have an important role, but by percentage, smaller than that of Reed and Davis. Where Reed was their best slot mismatch, I'd say on the Rams McVay would prefer Kupp, Woods, Cooper, or Spruce over Everett (not yet a good route runner) or Higbee (still raw at the position). The other thing that impressed me was McVay's breakdown of Gurley. He's insisting that Gurley keep his shoulders square and develop patience like LeVeon Bell. I watched a couple Steelers games last year and made a similar observation but wrote it off as the two being different types of b

McVay ran some 2 bunch formation with Reed (Y) inside and Crowder (Y) next to him while Garcon (Z) would be on the outside. I hope Everett and Higbee can pick up the offense enough to be effective here. There is timing involved for TE/WR to get to spots while avoiding others but, not like a running a tradition one on one route getting separation. I hope Everett and Higbee can pick up the offense enough to be effective and get on the field. They have the ability to get YAC on these plays with great catch radius to help Goff. Kupp will be lining up on the outside shoulder of the TE. McVay will be doing what he can to get the big athletic TE on the field.

I thought McVay's comment on keeping Gurley's shoulders square was very insightful. I wondered why Bell is so elusive and now can see that he does not give away where he is going because he keeps his shoulders square. Getting Gurley going is going to help everyone.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
leo, cherry or grape flavor?
~Kool-Aid Man
Not that anyone cares, but just so everyone knows! I personally prefer Cherry Kool-Aid and Welch's Grape Juice!! ( you just made me think of that!!:LOL:)

nanotech

Rookie
I just bought 3000 shares of Kool Aid. With this many people drinking, I will be rich in a very short time.

WestCoastRam

Legend
8-8 would be a realistic goal and attainable.... and an improvement.

I just expect to see hard-fought games and a cultural change personally.

Jeeze, 8-8 being realistic? I feel like 8-8 is the best we'll do. I think the best Goff can do is play as well as a rookie QB can (throw out last year cause he was horrendous) and that won't really get you more than 8-8. I really encourage people to temper their enthusiasm for Goff. I'm all in on the guy but even if he becomes a franchise QB, it's at least two years from now.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jeeze, 8-8 being realistic? I feel like 8-8 is the best we'll do. I think the best Goff can do is play as well as a rookie QB can (throw out last year cause he was horrendous) and that won't really get you more than 8-8. I really encourage people to temper their enthusiasm for Goff. I'm all in on the guy but even if he becomes a franchise QB, it's at least two years from now.

Maybe...I was thinking 6 wins was a pretty good goal this year, but I think that is way too conservative now. Let's look quickly at the 3 phases of the game.
*Maybe our strongest unit is Special Teams, which should be similar this year with Coach Bones still in charge.
*New defensive scheme (3-4), but with a celebrated DC Wade Phillips crafting it. It's not happy talk to believe that the new scheme will be at least as good, considering that the Offense should be better this year than it has been in a lot of years. This will make the Defense fresher and more effective, imho.
*The new Offense, crafted by an Offensive minded coach with creativity and imagination. We have a extremely good LT in Whitworth now, which is a HUGE change. We have a new Center in Sullivan that is so savvy at reading defenses and making calls on the line that McVay told him to hold back so Goff could learn to do it. This Oline is light years better than last year, and that is a stone cold solid fact. Robert Woods is catching everything coming his way and is running crisp/correct routes. Cooper Kupp is training like a veteran and is also catching everything and runs great routes, and as Miles & D'Marco Farr say, he should have an early impact. WHO did we have last year that we could say that about? Even a marginal passing game improvement, means that a more disciplined Todd Gurley will no longer be the focus of every team that plays the Rams, so he' should freaking GO OFF. He will return to form and will be on highlight reels for the NFL Network like he was in his rookie year. Maybe Thomas, Spruce, Reynolds,and Austin will flash but I am less sure about them. Before you tell me about "learning a new scheme" takes time, how about learning an atrocious offensive scheme with no creativity, little coaching, and NO FREAKING ADJUSTMENTS at Half Time? This offense HAS to be better than Fisher's 7-9 teams....for these reasons, it's time to start guzzling gallons of spiked motrherfreakin Cherry KOOL-Aid!:rockon:. 9 wins is not cray-cray, which might be enough to win the NFC West this year.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I was '"drunk" on the Kool-Aid and had such high hopes for the Rams in '99. And then Trent Green went down. Boy, you talk about a let down and letting the air out of the bag.

I have higher hopes for this team, but I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid yet.

Leo, your concerns in your first thread are ligitamate. Its going to take time. But I'm OK with that as long as we see progress.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

It is okay to get exited and maybe expect more than is realistic. It really doesn't hurt any more to have high expectations and be disappointed, than to have low expectations and realize them. I get over it and hopefully something happens and I can get excited about the possibilities of the next season. What is great about high expectations is I get to really enjoy this offseason either way, as apposed to someone else with low expectations.
Someone posted on this site a few months ago, "I hope you don't get your hopes up." Well why the fukck not. I'm a Rams fan for crying out loud. If I didn't get my hopes up in the offseason when would I have any fukcking hope at all.

So drink your Mutha Fukcking kool aid if you want to Rams Brothers. And who knows Goff might just shock you and Gurley might score 20 TDs and we might go to the playoffs. Damnit, I haven't been this excited since the offseason we hired Fisher.