Why I wouldn't extend Fisher just yet...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have Seahawk problems financially on defense without having Seahawk success on defense. That is indicative of a fantastic scouting/drafting department, and not so great coaching:

TruJo - great year, but right now he's being paid as a top 5 CB with the franchise tag..

Jenkins - will likely leave, but to keep him it'll be $10+ million

McCleod - hopefully signs for $5 million per year, but I think that'd still put him in the top 10 safety range..

Barron - now a starting LB, will want to be paid like one, also enjoyed success last year

Hayes - now a starting DE, will want to be paid like on, also enjoyed success last year

There is a good chance we lose 4 starters on defense. On a team where we need to invest HEAVILY in the offense. We will also be losing Fairley and with the loss of Long/JL, depth is needed. Where we have players ready to step in (CB), we will still need to restock the depth. If all four of these players walk, we could literally spend our entire draft on defense and it would make sense.

With the cap going up and all of these guys enjoying good season while in their prime (with the possible exception of Hayes, but pass rushers are always a hot commodity), they would all likely be offered more somewhere else. And this doesn't even take into account Brockers and Ogletree, with the mega contract for Aaron Donald following.

And then of course Tavon will want at least $8 million per year, but that's on offense.

Our defense has shown to be elite at times, but if we actually re-signed all these guys, I am fairly certain it would be the highest payroll on defense in the NFL. They certainly have not played that way as of yet. The talent is there, as evidenced by the individual contracts.

This isn't intended to bash Fisher, but is it really wise to extend this coach when his specialty is defense, and our defense hasn't lived up to it's talent the entire time he's been here? I'm fine giving him a pass last year with the injuries, but before this past season our defenses weren't even good.

This is primarily frustration coming out because we have to yet to re-sign any of our key free agents.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We have Seahawk problems financially on defense without having Seahawk success on defense. That is indicative of a fantastic scouting/drafting department, and not so great coaching:

TruJo - great year, but right now he's being paid as a top 5 CB with the franchise tag..

McCleod - hopefully signs for $5 million per year, but I think that'd still put him in the top 10 safety range..

Barron - now a starting LB, will want to be paid like one, also enjoyed success last year

Hayes - now a starting DE, will want to be paid like on, also enjoyed success last year

There is a good chance we lose 4 starters on defense. On a team where we need to invest HEAVILY in the offense. We will also be losing Fairley and with the loss of Long/JL, depth is needed. Where we have players ready to step in (CB), we will still need to restock the depth. If all four of these players walk, we could literally spend our entire draft on defense and it would make sense.

With the cap going up and all of these guys enjoying good season while in their prime (with the possible exception of Hayes, but pass rushers are always a hot commodity), they would all likely be offered more somewhere else. And this doesn't even take into account Brockers and Ogletree, with the mega contract for Aaron Donald following.

And then of course Tavon will want at least $8 million per year, but that's on offense.

Our defense has shown to be elite at times, but if we actually re-signed all these guys, I am fairly certain it would be the highest payroll on defense in the NFL. They certainly have not played that way as of yet. The talent is there, as evidenced by the individual contracts.

This isn't intended to bash Fisher, but is it really wise to extend this coach when his specialty is defense, and our defense hasn't lived up to it's talent the entire time he's been here? I'm fine giving him a pass last year with the injuries, but before this past season our defenses weren't even good.

This is primarily frustration coming out because we have to yet to re-sign any of our key free agents.

The high number of free agents to hit this year and the next few was something I questioned a few years ago. With all of the extra picks they would have a plethora of contracts up simultaneously. That is not a good thing. But the extra picks were a good thing in that it gave them some insurance. Could you imagine if they successfully hit on Quick and he was a star and also drafted Wagner? There would be even more controversy over who to keep. Keeping contracts spaced out is a better plan IMO. Mixing in the right combination of veterans with medium contracts is too. I don't know how well this thing is going to turn out but it does seem that the RGIII trade is backfiring a little now.

However, the turmoil of the move is not a situation to introduce a new coaching staff. I don't think that should happen until the Rams have their new facility and everyone is comfortable. A new staff has a lot of extra things to do, trying to do those evals and install new gameplans/styles/strategies while players are living out of boxes is not going to start well IMO. It will look like the new coach is no better or worse than the old one. I think Fisher is safe into 2019. After that season though? Who knows.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Extending him has zero downside.
Revisit this next year after we've won the NFC Championship (at a minimum).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We have Seahawk problems financially on defense without having Seahawk success on defense. That is indicative of a fantastic scouting/drafting department, and not so great coaching

Or it is indicative of players that have developed into "good" but not "great" players. This is why I never wanted nor believed the Rams would sign them all, because why would you bring back everyone on a defense when there is some good depth at certain positions (safety and CB) and the team has shown an ability to draft and develop DBs in particular. Jenks and Tru putting it all together in their contract seasons could have been related to Williams' coaching raising them to where they should have been earlier, OR it could have been that they both played disciplined to get that big payday. I suspect it's both, personally.

Lastly, the defense would have been top 5 with Ogletree and Gaines being healthy. Those were two key pieces the Rams lost last year.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier

Are you saying he should be let go if he doesn't get us to NFC Championship?
Or are you just expressing you faith?
I would be happy just to see the Rams in the postseason

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Are you saying he should be let go if he doesn't get us to NFC Championship?
Or are you just expressing you faith?
I would be happy just to see the Rams in the postseason
The latter.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good point. I just don't like where we are right now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good point. I just don't like where we are right now.
I don't think anyone likes where we are (or have been), but I place that squarely on the fact that our QB situation has been less than stellar. Maybe they could have addressed that sooner, but that's water under the bridge now. My sliver of hope lies in the idea that they (Fisher/Snead) FULLY understand that their only path forward is to get a good signal caller behind center and to become much more aggressive on offense. If we end up with the status quo on offense again this year, then I too will throw in the towel on the direction and leadership of this Franchise.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

In short, i strongly disagree that the defense has underperformed. I think the defensive expectations of some fans are a little out of whack around here when they fail to consider the bottom of the barrel offenses we've been trotting out there to support the defense. Many say "yeah i know the offense sucks but...."
There are no "buts". If you have an understanding of how all three phases work together, use your own eyes instead of just pure numbers and the reality of how things like fatigue and confidence work, then it becomes clear to me that this is a very good defense.