Why I am optimistic for the rest of the season and the future

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I share your fear.

But there is hope. Fish knew he didn't have the right DC his first two offseasons, and fixing that was his priority since he is a defensive coach and all. Firing Schotty may have been a bit much for him to consider given that. My only real complaint there was why didn't he pounce on Norv Turner when he came available? I'd fire Schotty on Xmas Eve if I had to in order to get Turner onboard.

Back to Schotty, he's just not good enough. Too many Rams fans seem to feel an OC only calls plays and strategizes. Not so. They set the pace, the tone, from day one. They're responsible for the players' grasp of scheme and ability to execute it fast in-game. Schotty's got a resume with a lot of years on it now as OC, and it speaks for itself. Save the excuses, I'm not buyin. He's like having a week off for an opposing DC, he's so predictable overall and easy to shut down

is it just me or does anyone else think that if we do replace schotty that the players learning a new system will be next year excuse

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Looking forward to watching this team play good football the rest of the year and get the final pieces of the puzzle in the off season! Playoff next year for sure!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
This team is competing with good teams without consistent above average performance from the QB position. I truly believe the supporting cast on O and the D is good enough to win big things in the future. However, the team won't be able to take that next step without an improvement at QB, whether it's Bradford staying healthy or someone else.
Agree 100%. We need a few tweaks here and there but overall with better QB play and a little more experience this team can be good for years to come.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
MLB too.

I know JL is a fan favorite but he is not playing well and seems slower than he ever has. He can't cover anyone and because of him the middle of the defense has become problematic.

I never say anything because it's not popular but against the pass JL is a liability, always has been. He's great against the run but teams are taking advantage of us with crossing patterns and screens all the time. Imagine Patrick Willis in the middle.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This team is competing with good teams without consistent above average performance from the QB position. I truly believe the supporting cast on O and the D is good enough to win big things in the future. However, the team won't be able to take that next step without an improvement at QB, whether it's Bradford staying healthy or someone else.
And consistent execution of play's. With a little more creative play calling mixed in!!(y)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I never say anything because it's not popular but against the pass JL is a liability, always has been. He's great against the run but teams are taking advantage of us with crossing patterns and screens all the time. Imagine Patrick Willis in the middle.

He is good against the run but too often gets moved out of the play by the "wash", he has trouble getting off blocks too. Add in his poor pass coverage and it's no wonder that Demoff did his extension with little money in the last two years. I hope they keep him to teach guys and be a coach type but sometime next year he needs to lose his starting job to a draft pick or lose it to a FA in camp. I like the guy, I would like to see him retire a Ram but I'm no longer interested in him as a starter.

There is a reason that TE's kill the Rams and have for years.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Merlin ....yeah Norv Turner would make this offense look good with a strong armed QB...I'm thinking we fire Williams for Rex Ryan the second he gets canned.
@LesBaker & @bwdenverram ...real fans cheer for the jersey first....I used to like JL55 a bunch, last 3 years everyone hypes all these accolades on a guy that just is out there....Heck, he's so far down field now making tackles it's not even funny anymore...It looks to me like he just watches the play....not sure what happened...Definitely need to upgrade his position....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@Merlin ....yeah Norv Turner would make this offense look good with a strong armed QB...I'm thinking we fire Williams for Rex Ryan the second he gets canned.
@LesBaker & @bwdenverram ...real fans cheer for the jersey first....I used to like JL55 a bunch, last 3 years everyone hypes all these accolades on a guy that just is out there....Heck, he's so far down field now making tackles it's not even funny anymore...It looks to me like he just watches the play....not sure what happened...Definitely need to upgrade his position....

LA he looks slow(er) this year don't you think?

I know he didn't gain weight but its like he packed on 30 pounds of blubber, he can't keep up with anyone and is a step behind way to often. Last year he was "hiding" an injury and I suspect he is this year too or has just lost a step and he is what we are seeing. If it is injury I'd still make a move to replace him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
LA he looks slow(er) this year don't you think?

I know he didn't gain weight but its like he packed on 30 pounds of blubber, he can't keep up with anyone and is a step behind way to often. Last year he was "hiding" an injury and I suspect he is this year too or has just lost a step and he is what we are seeing. If it is injury I'd still make a move to replace him.
I was thinking he was moving like his hips were too tight or he had some type of groin injury and wasn't going all out....Remember he was hurt for the entire pre-season with a "foot" injury....He's not moving/ or exerting full effort on the field for sure and does look slow...He doesn't look like he's trying his hardest IMO.
And he supposedly lost weight in anticipation of Greg Williams schemes...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I was thinking he was moving like his hips were too tight or he had some type of groin injury and wasn't going all out....Remember he was hurt for the entire pre-season with a "foot" injury....He's not moving/ or exerting full effort on the field for sure and does look slow...He doesn't look like he's trying his hardest IMO.
And he supposedly lost weight in anticipation of Greg Williams schemes...

He wasn't that big to begin with, losing weight would explain why he gets pushed out of the play to often.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Love that the OP @Lesson posted something I was going to as well. Sunday was one of the most heartbreaking losses since the SB IMO. But even with that, I am very optimistic toward our future.

Go RAMS!!!

RamzFanz

Damnit

So very close. The return of Quick and Sam could be huge. Add some O line and 2015 could be the SB run.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Lack of a good QB and the referees is the reason were having a frustrating year.If Bradford is retained at a fair price and stays healthy we will win our division next year and then some.Having said that if Bradford is not retained or does not stay healthy then I say some bold moves need to be made.If it takes multiple draft picks to get the Qb we need then do it.We can't have another down year or we will start losing some of our core young talent,that would leave for a winning team even if we were able to offer similar contracts.Once we put a better team on the field those BS calls by the refs go away or we will be good enough to overcome them until they do.So IMO this is the biggest offseason since we got Fisher so let's hope the FO does what it needs to to make us relevant again.

If we get extremely lucky next year I could maybe see 9-7, or 8-8, I don't see a QB in this coming draft coming in and playing at a high level, or being put in a position to do so and I don't see Sam playing a full 16 if we go that route. I don't see us having the elite D we've been clamouring for for the last 3 years, for a defensive "genius" Fisher's Ds haven't been up to much. And I don't see us starting the year fast under Fisher.

We'll win a few games we "should" lose and we'll win half of the games we "should" win.

9-7 at best.

bbach

UDFA
I don't think I can be optimistic anymore, we always say the same thing every year :sick::(:cry:

I don't post online much, but I do feel your pain. However, this year is different. We really are close. Unlike other years where we just hope. This time we are really close. We can play against anyone. We just can't count on our QB. Yup, we could upgrade a couple other positions as well, but a great QB will put us in the hunt in the tough NFC West. Finding one is the problem. Look at all the teams out there that do not have an elite quarterback and need one. It's not that easy. I don't know why but I still have some hope for Bradford although that bus is starting to empty.