Why I am optimistic for the rest of the season and the future

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think I can be optimistic anymore, we always say the same thing every year :sick::(:cry:
One of these times, it will be 1999 all over again and we will be dancing in the streets! Thanks for hanging in there through thick and thin!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes it does, at least here it does. So find us the guy and if it takes a trade, tell us what it will take!

I've found a guy. The question is if the other two can be the guy as well. ;)

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
MLB too.

I know JL is a fan favorite but he is not playing well and seems slower than he ever has. He can't cover anyone and because of him the middle of the defense has become problematic.

I always thought he would make a good weak side backer. IMO, we need a thumper in the middle. It seems he gets washed out some in the run game. He plays hard, but his lack of size hurts us in the middle. Not sure why he may have lost a step. He could be hurt and not letting training staff know.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
One of these times, it will be 1999 all over again and we will be dancing in the streets! Thanks for hanging in there through thick and thin!
I didn't get the chance to enjoy the GSOT, so I don't know how 1999-2002 days felt. All I've known is the rams losing for the past 10 years!
cry-about-it-lol.gif

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I'm not optimist for the rest of this year but I'm sure damn excited for next year. I'm not the biggest Bradford fan but if he was healthy we would probably be 500 or better.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Yea I'm sick of all the "it's our year" discussion that occurs every year. By mid season we're chanting "next year's our year!!" SICK. OF. IT!

For me, it's get rid of Shotty and draft a serious qb. I know some may question the options for next year, but we can't sit around anymore waiting for the next Luck to fall to us. We have a coaching staff responsible for the development of our players so let's go and get our future star and let the coaches coach. I have no doubt if we bring in a guy like Chud we can succeed. He features the TE a lot in his offense, a guy like Cook could thrive.

For me, take Hundley either late first or second and bring back both Bradford and Hill on cheap deals. Let Hill mentor the kid with Bradford providing competition. If Bradford and his agent balk at the idea, then bye bye! If Bradford shows in camp he is the qb ready at the time, let the kid learn from the bench for a year, but if he shows promise cut Sam and let the Hundley start. Hill as backup.

Some may disagree but I'm over the Sam experiment (coming from someone who was once a HUGE supporter) but we need him just for the year to provide insurance jic Hundley is not ready. May be too much of a read into the future plans of our team, but whatever!

Btw, Hundley is seen as a huge star in Cali... just sayin'.. (Let the hate ensue!! ;))

SierraRam

Recreational User
Yea I'm sick of all the "it's our year" discussion that occurs every year. By mid season we're chanting "next year's our year!!" SICK. OF. IT!

Me too! But don't you feel like Fish and Snead have fixed most of this team? If Sam were healthy, what would our record be? 8-3? 9-2?

We had the right to think this was "our year," and you seem to be in agreement with most on the forum that we're a QB away from being a playoff team. Let's see Fisher's vision through. We have made progress. If we strike gold and get a Russel Wilson type rookie (Mariota, Hundley) or Sam wins CPOY (yes, I still believe), we'll be a Super Bowl contender.

This is not the complete mess we had 3 years ago. Hang on a little longer brother...

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
MLB too.

I know JL is a fan favorite but he is not playing well and seems slower than he ever has. He can't cover anyone and because of him the middle of the defense has become problematic.

Rivers was like 29/35 on the day, where it felt like barely any passes traveled more than 10 yards. The one that did was completed to the guy JL was covering down the sideline.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think if we don't get a new OC this offseason...there's no hope.

I fear both Fisher and Scotty are stuck in their ways to push us forward any more.

I share your fear.

But there is hope. Fish knew he didn't have the right DC his first two offseasons, and fixing that was his priority since he is a defensive coach and all. Firing Schotty may have been a bit much for him to consider given that. My only real complaint there was why didn't he pounce on Norv Turner when he came available? I'd fire Schotty on Xmas Eve if I had to in order to get Turner onboard.

Back to Schotty, he's just not good enough. Too many Rams fans seem to feel an OC only calls plays and strategizes. Not so. They set the pace, the tone, from day one. They're responsible for the players' grasp of scheme and ability to execute it fast in-game. Schotty's got a resume with a lot of years on it now as OC, and it speaks for itself. Save the excuses, I'm not buyin. He's like having a week off for an opposing DC, he's so predictable overall and easy to shut down.

If Fish stays with Schotty he's gonna lose his job. Plain and simple. So hopefully he'll recognize that he has to trim the fat and restack his offense from the top down when he reloads the QB position. We need an OC who is engaged in teaching and who can produce a smart, fast, aggressive offense that will find matchups and exploit them. That's just not Schotty.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Me too! But don't you feel like Fish and Snead have fixed most of this team? If Sam were healthy, what would our record be? 8-3? 9-2?

We had the right to think this was "our year," and you seem to be in agreement with most on the forum that we're a QB away from being a playoff team. Let's see Fisher's vision through. We have made progress. If we strike gold and get a Russel Wilson type rookie (Mariota, Hundley) or Sam wins CPOY (yes, I still believe), we'll be a Super Bowl contender.

This is not the complete mess we had 3 years ago. Hang on a little longer brother...

Agreed, not the complete mess of 3 years ago. It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel without having the QB position solved. Mariota won't be around when the Rams draft, but Brett Hundley should be, and he seems Russell Wilson-ish enough. He's just like a good game machine.

Solve QB, and with the solid D and the young guys getting better, the other problems (2 OL and LB) should fade away.

Lesson

Oh, really?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Even if it's true? When did you feel during the Linehan/Spags era that next year was the year? 2008? 2011? I can't remember feeling this sort of optimistic since 2011. I thought the 2013 team had its work set out for them.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I share your fear.

But there is hope. Fish knew he didn't have the right DC his first two offseasons, and fixing that was his priority since he is a defensive coach and all. Firing Schotty may have been a bit much for him to consider given that. My only real complaint there was why didn't he pounce on Norv Turner when he came available? I'd fire Schotty on Xmas Eve if I had to in order to get Turner onboard.

Back to Schotty, he's just not good enough. Too many Rams fans seem to feel an OC only calls plays and strategizes. Not so. They set the pace, the tone, from day one. They're responsible for the players' grasp of scheme and ability to execute it fast in-game. Schotty's got a resume with a lot of years on it now as OC, and it speaks for itself. Save the excuses, I'm not buyin. He's like having a week off for an opposing DC, he's so predictable overall and easy to shut down.

If Fish stays with Schotty he's gonna lose his job. Plain and simple. So hopefully he'll recognize that he has to trim the fat and restack his offense from the top down when he reloads the QB position. We need an OC who is engaged in teaching and who can produce a smart, fast, aggressive offense that will find matchups and exploit them. That's just not Schotty.

I don't know if Fisher realized he didn't have the right DC, or just went back to giving his good buddy Williams the job as soon as he was available.

I just want something new. Holgorsen, Scott Frost, Briles. Take your pick, just give me someone new.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I share your fear.

Back to Schotty, he's just not good enough. Too many Rams fans seem to feel an OC only calls plays and strategizes. Not so. They set the pace, the tone, from day one. They're responsible for the players' grasp of scheme and ability to execute it fast in-game. Schotty's got a resume with a lot of years on it now as OC, and it speaks for itself. Save the excuses, I'm not buyin. He's like having a week off for an opposing DC, he's so predictable overall and easy to shut down

is it just me or does anyone else think that if we do replace schotty that the players learning a new system will be next year excuse