Why don't our guys use Mike Martz?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking back over Mike Martz's career, wherever he was, good things followed for the QBs and WRs. Why don't our players use that? I don't mean why don't the Rams hire Martz. Personally, I don't think Martz wants to work as an assistant coach (below OC) at this point in his career.

However, during the off-season, why don't our players hire Martz as a coach to work with them? Let's look back at the highlights of Martz's career:
1995 - Rams QB Coach: Developed Chris Chandler from a bust to a solid starting QB
Chandlers first 6 years in the NFL (prior to Martz): 39 starts, 54.9% completion percentage, 34 TDs to 48 Ints, and a 66.1 QB Rating
Chandler's next 8 years in the NFL (with and after Martz): 98 starts, 59.4% completion percentage, 127 TDs to 79 Ints, and a 86.9 QB Rating

1996 to 1997 - Rams WR Coach: Developed Isaac Bruce into a HOF WR
Bruce produced 203 catches, 3119 yards, and 20 TDs across those two years after putting just under 300 yards and 3 TDs as a rookie

1997 to 1998 - Redskins QB Coach: Developed QB Trent Green from an 8th round pick with no starts before his 28th birthday into a solid starting QB

1999 to 2006 - Rams OC/HC: There are a long list of guys he developed for us. But the fact is that he developed Kurt Warner (UDFA), Trent Green (8th round pick), and Marc Bulger (6th round pick) into Pro Bowl QBs. He also found Ryan Fitzpatrick in the 7th round.

Add it all together, Mike Martz developed Chandler, Warner, Green, and Bulger all into Pro Bowl QBs. Chandler was the highest drafted of the four. He was a 3rd round pick. He was also a total bust prior to Martz.

Why are our guys not using him as a resource? Our organization should strongly suggest to Goff that he work with Mike Martz over the off-season. The guy might be the greatest QB evaluator and developer in NFL history.

I also would have recommended it to our young WRs like Tavon years ago.

jap

Legend
I don't understand all the negativity regarding Mad Mike. I have heard all the stories about how he rubs brass types the wrong way and whatnot. However, his players tend to love him. He is a QB/WR guru, and those two areas are our biggest concerns for our Horns right now.

Ya need points? Let Mad Mike grab a couple napkins and quickly design some formations in a few minutes, assuming he's performed due diligence on the strengths/weaknesses of our offensive "skill" positions. He's gonna need a good-to-great OL coach and a complimentary TE coach, but I would love! to see how this mad scientist can maximize Jared, Todd, Tavon Kenny, Sean Mannion, Benny Cunningham, Malcolm Brown, Pharoh Cooper, Tyler Higbee, Temarrick Hemingway, Mike Thomas, etc.

The guy knows how to get "skill" position players ready and fully up to speed, how to break down and attack a defense's weaknesses, how to embarrass high profile DC's, etc.

Does he need help selecting players to fit his team? You betcha! However, that's why you get the best GM, scouts, and pro player personnel guys you can find. He singlehandedly placed extreme focus on the passing game during his last stint with the Horns, and, to hear him talk about it, he would like to do the same for the running game if he were to get the right opportunity today. He has been the most aggressive disciple of the Don Coryall game, and it would be poetic justice for him to pass on his great knowledge, insights, and teaching techniques to bright, younger Horn coaches.

jap

Legend
BTW, Jrry, I am fully aware you were discussing having our players recruit Mike for personal coaching, but it would be so much better to have the Horns embrace our own mad scientist.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Martz as an OC just isn't going to happen. I don't think it's the right move for this team either. Martz as a QB Coach would be amazing, but I don't think he's interested in that sort of gig at this point in his life. I think our best chance to make use of Martz is for our players to use him as a personal coach during the off-season or the team to hire him in a consultant role to help scouts QBs and WRs.

jap

Legend
Martz as an OC just isn't going to happen. I don't think it's the right move for this team either. Martz as a QB Coach would be amazing, but I don't think he's interested in that sort of gig at this point in his life. I think our best chance to make use of Martz is for our players to use him as a personal coach during the off-season or the team to hire him in a consultant role to help scouts QBs and WRs.

Yep! I have been talking about the Horns employing him as an offensive consultant for some time. That would allow him to 'spread his wings' over the QB and WR units and perhaps get involved with some of the game day planning. They can use him how the early St. Louis Rams used defensive guru Bud Carson, that is as a master coach to coach younger coaches.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If I were a Rams WR; as many weeks I could get with Isaac Bruce would be a regular part of my summer routine.

The Rams have 2 of the best ever at WR just recently retired (Bruce and Holt)... that's a luxury we need to capitalize on.

But on this topic; same justification to lean upon Martz in some fashion.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMHO I don't think anyone should be off the table, we need all hands on deck to improve this team and nothing would be wrong bringing back an old friend who was the last man to lead the Rams to postseason and the promise land.

I'm not sure if Martz still has it in him and also would be concerned with his offense from a QB protection aspect, but he's forgotten more about offense than our current coaching knows and I for one would not be adverse to seeing him in some capacity.
dickvermeilmikemartz.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not sure if Martz still has it in him and also would be concerned with his offense from a QB protection aspect, but he's forgotten more about offense than our current coaching knows and I for one would not be adverse to seeing him in some capacity.
dickvermeilmikemartz.jpg
That is by far the whitest picture I've ever seen.
Two extremely white dudes
with white hair
wearing white shirts

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That is by far the whitest picture I've ever seen.
Two extremely white dudes
with white hair
wearing white shirts

Yeah, but they'd fly thru airport security...

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I believe Martz could impart some positional/preparation knowledge to players, but by in large I think the league has passed him by. Stops in San Fran, Detroit and Chicago didn't end well, and he just doesn't seem interested in modifying his approach when the pieces don't match.

Like I said, I'm sure he's got plenty to teach about attention to detail, route running, timing and reading the field but I wouldn't bring him in as anything more than a positional coach.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I believe Martz could impart some positional/preparation knowledge to players, but by in large I think the league has passed him by. Stops in San Fran, Detroit and Chicago didn't end well, and he just doesn't seem interested in modifying his approach when the pieces don't match.

Like I said, I'm sure he's got plenty to teach about attention to detail, route running, timing and reading the field but I wouldn't bring him in as anything more than a positional coach.

I'm not even going that far. I want our young QB and WRs to seek him out (and possibly Bruce, Holt, Warner, etc.) this off-season and work with him on developing their technical skills and football IQs.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'm not even going that far. I want our young QB and WRs to seek him out (and possibly Bruce, Holt, Warner, etc.) this off-season and work with him on developing their technical skills and football IQs.

Well in that case, hell yes.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd love to see Martz with the Rams in some capacity. He could only help. But I don't see it happening. He's one of the best offensive coordinators the game has seen and no one is knocking on his door. There has to be a reason for that.