Why do the drops seem to happen with Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure I understand the question, Mannion had a bunch dropped on him too

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Did Goff have trouble with dropped balls at Cal?

I think it is like @Wolfecola said. The receivers got used to catching balls from the weak armed Keenum. Now they have to catch from a guy who puts some zip on the ball.

Psycho_X

Legend
As been mentioned already I seem to remember this subject coming up many times about Bradford also. Maybe our WR talent has just been that awful for a looooong time now. Too long really. Add in Jared Cook's butter fingers and Kendricks stone hands and bad QB play and you've got the recipe for a 32nd ranked passing attack. I'll give props to Kendrick as he caught some nice balls this past game at least. But there needs to be a serious improvement from the receivers as a whole. And of course the two guys that have shown amazing hands this preseason are freaking injured in Cooper and Spruce. Hopefully they come back as strong. But it's been a team wide failure up until this year.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Rams most efficient receivers this preseason in terms of catch rate are Britt, Mcroberts, Kendricks, and Spruce. Goff has played sparingly if at all with any of them.

Rams least efficient receivers Higbee, Thomas, Hemmingway, and Quick. Goff's primary receivers have been Quick and Thomas who arguably have the worst hands out of all the WRs. So basically he's playing with young guys learning like he is or guys with flat out bad hands.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Lots of reasons for the drops and not really any one for any one guy. Take the two that Quick did not catch in the KC game.

The first one was on him as he got his head around, it was a catchable ball if he had his head around a split second earlier. Not really Goff's fault or Quick's they just did not have the timing for a good play.

On the second one I though quick jumped when he didn't have to and the ball was in front of him. He made an awkward reach for it but obviously got alligator arms a little and thus the incomplete pass. I'd put that on Quick but probably more a lack of playing together.

Isn't quick tied for the team lead in receptions this preseason? Is it wrong for them to want him to have a turn around? I think they want all of their guys to succeed and Quick is going to get a good opportunity. He's got the body and the desire and a new contract so why wouldn't they give him every opportunity. They have seen these guys every day for the last six months and know who can compete at this level, reaching for someone else doesn't make things better.

The play to Williams where there was a roughing penalty I thought the pass was good but it was leading him into the defender. William could see the guy coming at him and checked up. If he'd gone strong for the ball there would have been a big collision and who knows what comes of it. Was it a good defensive play or a bad offensive play??

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lots of reasons for the drops and not really any one for any one guy. Take the two that Quick did not catch in the KC game.

The first one was on him as he got his head around, it was a catchable ball if he had his head around a split second earlier. Not really Goff's fault or Quick's they just did not have the timing for a good play.

On the second one I though quick jumped when he didn't have to and the ball was in front of him. He made an awkward reach for it but obviously got alligator arms a little and thus the incomplete pass. I'd put that on Quick but probably more a lack of playing together.

Isn't quick tied for the team lead in receptions this preseason? Is it wrong for them to want him to have a turn around? I think they want all of their guys to succeed and Quick is going to get a good opportunity. He's got the body and the desire and a new contract so why wouldn't they give him every opportunity. They have seen these guys every day for the last six months and know who can compete at this level, reaching for someone else doesn't make things better.

The play to Williams where there was a roughing penalty I thought the pass was good but it was leading him into the defender. William could see the guy coming at him and checked up. If he'd gone strong for the ball there would have been a big collision and who knows what comes of it. Was it a good defensive play or a bad offensive play??

The pass caused Williams to stop in the hole in the coverage. He got popped because he dropped it and the defender didn't pull up.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The pass caused Williams to stop in the hole in the coverage. He got popped because he dropped it and the defender didn't pull up.
I think I have it recorded I will go back and look again but I think it was in front of him. If it had caused him to stop it should be on him or behind him because he was not really pulling up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think I have it recorded I will go back and look again but I think it was in front of him. If it had caused him to stop it should be on him or behind him because he was not really pulling up.

Williams was running across the field towards Roby. Goff's pass caused him to slow up and take at least one step back towards the QB which caused him to basically stop in the hole in the coverage. If he had caught the ball, he would have had time to protect himself. He didn't protect himself because he wasn't looking for the hit. He had his head down in shame because he dropped the ball.

The throw was placed in such a way that it allowed Duke to protect himself. When you rewatch it, you'll see. I just checked it out a minute ago on GamePass to make sure my recollection was correct.

…..

Legend
Williams was running across the field towards Roby. Goff's pass caused him to slow up and take at least one step back towards the QB which caused him to basically stop in the hole in the coverage. If he had caught the ball, he would have had time to protect himself. He didn't protect himself because he wasn't looking for the hit. He had his head down in shame because he dropped the ball.

The throw was placed in such a way that it allowed Duke to protect himself. When you rewatch it, you'll see. I just checked it out a minute ago on GamePass to make sure my recollection was correct.

I'm not sure what you are alluding to here.....you are right about the fact that he held his head down in shame. But are you saying that Goff is "placing" any type of ball? You say Goff placed the ball in such a way that allowed Duke to protect himself. However, I dont think Gofff has the time to think about any of that. He's barely getting the ball out. In fact.....I saw a few occasions where there was an incompletion because Goff was leading his receiver into a big hit. He needs to stop that. Quickly, or he;s gonna get someone taken out for the year. It will come with time. Lets hope he doesnt get anyone killed first.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure what you are alluding to here.....you are right about the fact that he held his head down in shame. But are you saying that Goff is "placing" any type of ball? You say Goff placed the ball in such a way that allowed Duke to protect himself. However, I dont think Gofff has the time to think about any of that. He's barely getting the ball out. In fact.....I saw a few occasions where there was an incompletion because Goff was leading his receiver into a big hit. He needs to stop that. Quickly, or he;s gonna get someone taken out for the year. It will come with time. Lets hope he doesnt get anyone killed first.

I'm not alluding to anything. I'm straight up saying on that play, Goff's throw was placed in such a way that it would have allowed Duke to protect himself instead of running him into a hit if Duke had caught it cleanly.

And I disagree that Goff isn't placing his passes.

…..

Legend
I'm not alluding to anything. I'm straight up saying on that play, Goff's throw was placed in such a way that it would have allowed Duke to protect himself instead of running him into a hit if Duke had caught it cleanly.

And I disagree that Goff isn't placing his passes.

Theres several HOF qb's that would like to have a word with you lol

Passes aren't placed with the decision making and accuracy you're giving him credit for. Right now this rookie has a thousand things in his head. He's happy to get the ball off. He'll figure the rest out later.

Let me point out 2 particular passes.

1- His 1st TD pass. Do you think he did that on purpose? He almost took the running backs hand off. Too high, too hard, no touch at all.
2- Brilliant catch by Cooper last game. Did he place that pass too? Again, too high, way to hard, no touch at all. All Cooper on that.

He's a kid. A pup. His mind a a bluuuur.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Passes aren't placed with the decision making and accuracy you're giving him credit for. Right now this rookie has a thousand things in his head. He's happy to get the ball off. He'll figure the rest out later.

1- His 1st TD pass. Do you think he did that on purpose? He almost took the running backs hand off. Too high, too hard, no touch at all.
2- Brilliant catch by Cooper last game. Did he place that pass too? Again, too high, way to hard, no touch at all. All Cooper on that.

The first TD pass was where it should have been, to the outside where only the receiver could get it, and could run in stride. Brown just couldn't catch over his shoulder so he turned for it.

…..

Legend
The first TD pass was where it should have been, to the outside where only the receiver could get it, and could run in stride. Brown just couldn't catch over his shoulder so he turned for it.

I agree on to the outside, but it looked to me that there was too much pace on the ball. Brown was lucky to get a hand up to bat the ball to himself. Woulda been incomplete 9 out of 10 times. It took alot of dexterity and luck to catch it.

My point isnt a Goff bashing point. I love the kid. I think I'm being realistic. I could also be seeing it wrong, and thats ok too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes. Both of those plays are amazing examples of him placing passes. There are several HOF QBs that would disagree that a QB attempts to place his pass in certain spots? Can you find quotes from them? These guys must have been QBs before the forward pass was used as a weapon.

In fact, here's the pass to Cooper:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF9R71jtTTE

Yes, he absolutely placed that pass. It was not too high, too hard, or lacking in touch. It was an absolutely gorgeous throw. Look at where Harris is positioned. He has Cooper blanketed. Goff put the ball in the absolute perfect spot and had to put zip on the ball in order for it get to Cooper before Harris could make a play on it.

That's an amazing throw into a nonexistent window against a top 3 CB in the NFL. That sort of throw is why the Rams took Goff #1.

So I have to strongly disagree with you. Passes are placed with the decision-making and accuracy that I am giving him credit for. That's why they practice these plays. So Goff can practice placing the ball correctly against different types of coverage.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. Both of those plays are amazing examples of him placing passes. There are several HOF QBs that would disagree that a QB attempts to place his pass in certain spots? Can you find quotes from them? These guys must have been QBs before the forward pass was used as a weapon.

In fact, here's the pass to Cooper:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF9R71jtTTE

Yes, he absolutely placed that pass. It was not too high, too hard, or lacking in touch. It was an absolutely gorgeous throw. Look at where Harris is positioned. He has Cooper blanketed. Goff put the ball in the absolute perfect spot and had to put zip on the ball in order for it get to Cooper before Harris could make a play on it.

That's an amazing throw into a nonexistent window against a top 3 CB in the NFL. That sort of throw is why the Rams took Goff #1.

So I have to strongly disagree with you. Passes are placed with the decision-making and accuracy that I am giving him credit for. That's why they practice these plays. So Goff can practice placing the ball correctly against different types of coverage.

Agree. Any lower or slower and it could have been intercepted.