Why do people keep projecting Ogletree as a SLB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I heard national media outlets reference Ogletree as a SLB for us as well as local guy like Nick Wagoner & JT say the same.

I don't agree with all the people who project Ogletree at Sam linebacker. The job requirements for a SLB call for a strong player who can fend off some of the biggest offensive players (pulling guard, RT, TE) and make tackles on the edge.

Problem is, Ogletree doesn't possess any of the above stated traits. He isn't particularly big (barely 240), which hinders his ability to fend off blocks and make an impact on the play. Too often did I see him get washed out of a play and not even be a factor on runs to the strong side.

We have our SLB. His name is Jo-Lonn Dunbar and he does his job pretty well. The problem is, he was our best cover OLB last year (which isn't saying much). Ogletree is an immediate upgrade in the passing game and will allow coach Fish to have 2 great cover backers on the field when he goes to nickel personnel.

Ogletree is ever bit of a WLB. The job calls for a guy who's typically more athletic than the SLB and in turn is often smaller. They are better in coverage and can get away with their lack of bulk because the offenses best runs are mostly going away from them. They are also the player that is often least accounted for on run plays, which allows them to chase down the play from the backside.

I love Ogletree's potential, but right now I think with the skill sets we have at linebacker outside of him, he is best suited to play WLB. This may sound a little boastful, but I think we have one of the better linebacking corps in the league with the addition of Ogletree.

SLB: Dunbar-Your prototypical Sam. Short & compact. Deceptively strong. Willing to take on blockers & fends them off fairly well. Can lay the wood & knifes into the backfield. I want to say he was top 5 in the NFL last year in TFL with 15+ (forget where I saw it).

MLB: JL-Versatile LB with Tampa 2 MLB tools. Not a freak athlete like a Willis, but has an incredible knowledge of the game & what he & his teammates need to be doing. Is ok on taking on blockers, but will benefit more & more as Brock starts taking up more blockers in 2013. Very underrated cover LB, I'd say one of the top 10 in the league. Very rarely do you see him give up a huge play in coverage & has held his own against some very good WRs & TEs in his career.

WLB: Ogletree-Athletic freak. Speed. Converted safety & still plays like it at times, which is good & bad. Its good because his cover ability is needed & bad because he often plays runs like a DB, with less force when taking on blockers & is often too high (makes it hard for him to get off). His athleticism is undeniable though which will allow him to make great plays in coverage, on runs from the backside, & on blitzes & runs in the backfield.

Your thoughts?

nittany ram

Rookie
Well it's not just the media projecting Ogeltree to SAM - I believe Fisher has said that's where they will use him.

You make valid points but theRams brain trust sees something I suppose...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The problem with Dunbar being a SAM is that SAM linebackers are - like you said - supposed to be big...and Dunbar's only 6'0", 226 lbs, which is smaller and lighter than Ogletree (6'2", 242 lbs.) is. I expect that Ogletree will still see the field more as a coverage linebacker, though, as he's one of the best we have.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Basically you want him to line up over the TE to take advantage of his coverage skills.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Fisher likes the flexibility - he seems to have a penchant for players who can play multiple positions... I also believe that the more positions a player knows and understands the better it will benefit the player's ability to adjust during game-time, be a lot more re-active...

EDIT: but I have to agree, that on paper Ogletree, with his athleticism and speed is the perfect WLB...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
As with any position, I don't think being a SLB is gonna be the only place he'll be. He'll match up w/ w/e guy they think he has an advantage over. Same thing @ WR, DE, CB, and this year RB. I think every position is flexible except the OL.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think Dunbar saw a fair bit of time at weakside last year too. I would like to echo the sentiment that this LB corps finally looks pretty nasty. I wonder if it won't just be determined by where certain match-ups occur on the field. A previous head coach had intimated that in his defense there wasn't a SLB/WLB, perhaps its that sort of mentality.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
rams24/7 said:
Your thoughts?

My thoughts were contained in my post I posted a day earlier.

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13837</a>

To condense it down some is the Rams had 2/3rds of a very good starting LB'ing cadre in JL @ MLB & Dunbar starting @ WSLB. The real big issue was ongoing @ SSLb'er for the entire 2012 season. Tree inserted into this mostly part time position will make his learning curve much easier than if he was inserted into the demanding WSLB'er in place of Dunbar. Dunbar is under 6 ft and plays borderline between 220 & 225 pounds....Dunbar's weakness was in trying to cover the larger faster TE's of the line when your under 6ft and your cover 6-5 and 6-6 260 pound TE's talk about mismatch. I really think that Dunbar being the SSLB in this Ram defense diminishes his play dramatically!

Here another of my thoughts Dunbar had an outstanding year in 2012 why kick him to the bench so fast. If you put the experienced Dunbar & Tree in competition in TC & pre season Dunbar will beat Tree out of that WSLB post easy. I really think many Ram fans generally do not fully understand how important Dunbar was in 2012 & is to this defense now. Just ask JL!

Big waste of Training Camp & pre season time invested into Tree @ WSLB post now you have no time left to get Tree caught up with the others SSLB'ers who have been working the SSLB post. Fisher has inserted him into learning the SSLB post this past rookie mini camp & will get this rookie fully ready to start from day one.

Tree fills the need @ SSLb'er make perfect sense to me & I believe Fisher has his plans & Tree filled one major part of those plans @ SSLB post. Dunbar will be a UFA in 2014 so Tree will get his shot @ WSLB then.

Side bar note here in the past Fisher pulled the SSLB'er in the Nickel...I wondering if we will see a change where when Fisher does go Nickle with the two LB'ers will those two be the same two (JL & JD) or will Tree be worked into playing one of the two LB'ing posts in the Nickle???? Its my opinion that Tree will remain on the field with JL in the Nickle!