Why didn't Cam Newton fight for that fumble?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Exclusive job or not, Cam Newton isn't the dad or the coach or the teacher. He's a football player. It's not his job to act above being human so he can be a role model for kids. It's their parents job to instill morals and values in the kids. Not Newton's.

Someone else posted this online and made a great point:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Peyton-Manning-storms-off-Super-Bowl-field-Is-h?urn=nfl,218314

When it's Peyton Manning, it's competitive fire. When it's Cam Newton, it's because he's immature or some other insult.
Now you're just making assumptions. I would have said the same exact things about Manning in 2010 too.
A baby is a baby is a baby. I don't care who it is.

I guess you skimmed over the rest of what I said, because I already addressed the morals and values herring.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
have a look at peyton's press conference after the game. this after he threw the game losing interception. he starts talking around the 1:15 mark.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010020700/2009/POST22/saints@colts?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=gameinfo|contentId:09000d5d81648bd2&tab=videos

that's a pro at work.

But let's ignore the fact that he walked off the field without shaking anyone's hand. Isn't that part of class? Or do we only define class by picking and choosing when Newton isn't living up to it and when Manning is?

Newton went to mid-field and congratulated Manning after the game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now you're just making assumptions. I would have said the same exact things about Manning in 2010 too.
A baby is a baby is a baby. I don't care who it is.

I guess you skimmed over the rest of what I said, because I already addressed the morals and values herring.

No, you didn't address it. You named a coach who is personally involved with the kids.(and part of taking that job is accepting responsibility for the kids) What personal connection does Cam Newton have? What duty/responsibility did he accept simply by playing pro football? If you need Cam Newton to show your kids how they should act, you're not doing your job as a parent.

I didn't make assumptions. The media is ripping Cam. They didn't rip Manning. That was the point made. But that gesture didn't undermine Manning's leadership or ruin a generation of kids because he was a bad role model. It was completely forgettable. I certainly didn't remember it before seeing someone else post the article (6 years later).

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But let's ignore the fact that he walked off the field without shaking anyone's hand. Isn't that part of class? Or do we only define class by picking and choosing when Newton isn't living up to it and when Manning is?

Newton went to mid-field and congratulated Manning after the game.

I didn't ignore it at the time. I would have called him a sore loser to all the manning fanboys back then. But we're talking about cam's press conference, and the way manning handled himself in his press conference, after throwing the game losing interception and tarnishing his legacy, is how a professional is supposed to act.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't ignore it at the time. I would have called him a sore loser to all the manning fanboys back then. But we're talking about cam's press conference, and the way manning handled himself in his press conference, after throwing the game losing interception and tarnishing his legacy, is how a professional is supposed to act.

After he refused to shake hands on the field. Because players are rightfully pissed off after they lose. Because they're people. Which is why it amazes me how quickly so many here rush to judgement in an emotional and painful situation. I hope you've never acted like a poor sport when you lost or when your team lost. Because if you did, it would make you seem awfully hypocritical...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Win or lose, players always give the same canned responses anyway. I could script their interviews for them they are so predictable. I'd rather see real emotion any day.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After he refused to shake hands on the field. Because players are rightfully pissed off after they lose. Because they're people. Which is why it amazes me how quickly so many here rush to judgement in an emotional and painful situation. I hope you've never acted like a poor sport when you lost or when your team lost. Because if you did, it would make you seem awfully hypocritical...

it's not about you or me. it's about the face of a franchise representing his organisation. manning was quick to undo his lapse in judgement, all we'll remember about cam is his sulking and refusal to give the opposition credit.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
When someone loses there are good sports and bad sports...I'd rather hang out with the good sport type. If Newton didn't want to be at the presser he should have not shown up for it. Today I bet he would change his actions if he could.

Bradmac41

UDFA
Name
Brad
it's not about you or me. it's about the face of a franchise representing his organisation. manning was quick to undo his lapse in judgement, all we'll remember about cam is his sulking and refusal to give the opposition credit.

Let's not forget the lap-tops Newton stole at Auburn......

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
The media is ripping Cam. They didn't rip Manning. That was the point made.

Umm the fact there is an article ripping him for it (that you posted yourself) kinda says otherwise. The fact is when any player (of note) has done something like this they draw negative attention. it is part of being the face of a franchise and maybe a league. Cam clearly wants the spotlight, but as he should know by know if it warms and it burns. It is pretty clear that he wants to be the next Jordan/Shaq/Peyton/Brady/etc. If he wants the peak then he needs to avoid the pitfalls.

no one is saying this destroys him, makes him unable to lead, or ruins him going forward as a player and a spokesperson. What they are saying is for someone who wants the attention he made a major mis-step. Others have also (see your post about Peyton), he can recover, get better and move forward. If he learns from it it is a blip that no one remembers in 6 years, but for the time being and for the short term future there will be a question by others (fans/media/sponsors) if it was blip or if it was a revealed consistent character flaw.

As he says in his own commercial for beats "to bad they don't make band aids for feelings" - kinda ironic....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Umm the fact there is an article ripping him for it (that you posted yourself) kinda says otherwise.

This article?
Peyton Manning didn't shake hands with New Orleans Saints players after his Indianapolis Colts lost 31-17 in Super Bowl XLIV. Apparently some think this is a sign of poor sportsmanship from the NFL's greatest player. It's not.

Walking off the field without congratulating Drew Brees may go against our misguided notion of what sportsmanship should be, but it wasn't at all disrespectful or bitter. It shows how much Peyton Manning wanted to win the game. And who can argue about that?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This article?

I actually think Manning is fraud. That and throwing his oline under the bus after a playoff loss. Manning has always been immature and still is. Funny thing is you battled me on this about 2 years ago lol.

That being said, Manning does get a free ride. Not one question about the HGH this week. I don't know what it is but this guy gets off so easy. Oh and how about kissing papa john on the side line??!!!

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
After reading 2 pages and not seeing it said I will add that from one camera angle it's easy to say why isn't he on the ground, but from another angle it looks like he's moving to the ball, trying to see where it may be, and then hopping backward to avoid a teammates head and maybe shoulders landing on his feet. If that happens, he is hampered in getting to the ball. To say it wasn't important enough to him seems like a cheap shot.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
It looked odd. Almost like he didn't try.

But, I think he thought the ball was going to squirt out at the last minute, flinched.

But he's catching heat for what it looked like.

What did you see?

I thought the same thing.
When I was watching it, I thought man.....what is he doing?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
You mean at Florida?

Do people remember the trainer that Manning sexually assaulted at Tennessee?

I don't remember a sexual "assault". I remember sexual "harassment". There's a huge difference there JRRY.

Here's the bottom line for me. Cam Newton is an exceptionally gifted athlete. He's got an extremely long way to go towards being an exceptional professional.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

^ ah yes
Dude Jrry you're my hero

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
So great - Conan clowning a Fig Newton joke

image.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No, you didn't address it.
Yes I did.
And I stopped caring about all the counter-arguments regarding my opinion about 2 minutes ago.

You think there's nothing to see here.
I think he handled it poorly.

Is what it is.