Why Cooper Kupp, not Todd Gurley, is Los Angeles’ true threat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Why Cooper Kupp, not Todd Gurley, is Los Angeles Rams true threat

Not long ago, the Rams were truly lost. They went a full decade without a winning season. They cycled through coaches and quarterbacks. They even relocated from St. Louis to Los Angeles.Then, in 2017, a bright offensive mastermind offered a path out of the darkness.

Sean McVay, who had been an assistant coach for Washington for seven seasons, immediately transformed the Rams into an NFC juggernaut. They went from scoring the fewest points in the NFL to scoring the most.

How? Sure, he had Jared Goff and Todd Gurley and Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods and Sammy Watkins and, later, Brandin Cooks.But that was just a collection of football players. Good football players, yes, but just football players. Football players can be beaten.

McVay took that collection of football players and molded them into something else entirely. He built more than an offense and devoted himself to an ideal: “We not me.” Together, McVay’s Rams could not be stopped. They became contemporary legends.

That might seem like an overstatement, but is it really? How many times this past offseason did you hear the phrase “the next Sean McVay”? Any assistant coach who shook hands with someone who shook hands with someone who shook hands with McVay got an interview for a head coach position. A couple actually got jobs: Matt LaFleur is in Green Bay interpreting Aaron Rodgers’ passive-aggressive stares, and Zac Taylor is in Cincinnati lamenting his decision to move to a city that’s known for little else than being too close to Kentucky.

McVay is enthusiastic and intelligent, but so are a lot of people in the NFL. How’s he different? He has harnessed the power of theatricality and deception. He’s the Ra’s al Ghul of the NFL, and he has designs on wiping out the Buccaneers on Sunday.Much of the talk in the lead-up to the confrontation between the Rams and Bucs has been about Todd Gurley and the importance of stopping the run, but Gurley, whose knees are deteriorating, is no longer the explosive workhorse back that he used to be. Though he still can be effective in bursts, he is more of a distraction than a true threat.

The player to keep an eye on is Cooper Kupp, the team leader in targets, catches, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns. His 53.5 percent catch rate per route is the 10th highest in the NFL, as is his 2.6 yards per route. As Kupp goes, so go the Rams. Without Kupp last season, the Los Angeles offense was much less productive and efficient.

Just throw a bunch of extra defensive backs on the field and stick two on Kupp, right? Well, that might not matter because McVay is good at scheming him open (Kupp’s 3.4 average yards of separation ranks 17th among receivers). Credit his heavy use of backfield motion and run fakes. The objective is to confuse defenders, to either coax them away from the point of attack or slow down their reaction time. A moment of hesitation or one step in the wrong direction can make all the difference.

Take, for instance, a third-and-1 play against the Browns in Week 3. Cleveland’s defensive front bit on a fake handoff to Gurley, and Kupp, who lined up on the outside right edge of the offensive line, ran a shallow crossing route behind the linebackers. Kupp was wide open and turned a 4-yard pass into a 22-yard gain.
QY53SV3FLFANJOTJDKLO62ERD4.gif

Rams at Browns, 2019: Jared Goff to Cooper Kupp for 22 yards. [NFL Game Pass]

We saw the Rams execute the same concept against the Saints last season for a 41-yard touchdown.
7TVB2LITYNGRDKSTQ7RP5RM5AU.gif

Rams at Saints, 2018: Jared Goff to Cooper Kupp for a 41-yard touchdown. [NFL Game Pass]

The Rams use play-action on more than a third of their pass plays. Their 34 percent rate ranks fifth, down just a couple of ticks from their league-leading 36 percent rate last season. The difference between play-action passes and other passes: about 2 more yards per play.

The Bucs have struggled defending such passes this season. They’ve allowed nearly 10 yards per play-action pass (23rd), which is 4 yards more than on other passes.What makes the Rams’ play-action game so dangerous, especially with Kupp on the field, is their ability to make you think you know what’s coming.Kupp sometimes will mimic a run-blocking tight end and then sneak out on a pass pattern. He did just that against the Seahawks last season, but instead of running a shallow crossing route over the middle, he slammed on the brakes, pivoted and cut toward the sideline. Goff hit him for an easy 17-yard gain.
FPQJPCK47RF3HIVMBUZEA47ZS4.gif

Rams at Seahawks, 2018: Jared Goff to Cooper Kupp for 17 yards. [NFL Game Pass]
Kupp doesn’t just kill defenses by catching short passes and racking up yards afterward. He’s a weapon down the field on deep crossing routes, too. Here’s another example, a 27-yard gain, from that Seahawks game:
XMW2WSW2XNDJ5AOTO4LDIVIVM4.gif

Rams at Seahawks, 2018: Jared Goff to Cooper Kupp for 27 yards. [NFL Game Pass]
And what happens when safeties try to take away Kupp’s deep crossing routes? They risk leaving speed merchant Brandin Cooks one-on-one, which the Saints did in Week 2:
JCAGPAGENBBODI6WRRVIUWDDUQ.gif

Saints at Rams, 2019: Jared Goff to Brandin Cooks for 57 yards. [NFL Game Pass]
This game couldn’t come at a worse time for the Bucs. Their young secondary is reeling. Tampa Bay has allowed eight gains of 30 or more yards this season, second most.

The Bucs are going to make mistakes. They’re going to allow catches. They’re going to surrender chunks of yards. The priority is limiting the explosive plays. The refrain in the locker room this week: Mind your surroundings and do your job.
“It’s a 60-minute battle,” defensive back M.J. Stewart said. “Keep your eyes where they need to be. Know who your man is. If all 11 people do their job, every play, 60 minutes, we’ll get it done.”And if all 11 don’t do their job?Said linebacker Kevin Minter: “You’re going to catch them 20, 30 yards down the field, if that.”

Last edited:

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Not saying he would have changed the result of the game (But, Personally, I think it is Very Possible!) but having Kupp against the Patriots sure would had been NICE!!! Kupp certainly isn’t one of the BIGGER or FASTER WR’s in the NFL BUT in my VERY Biased Opinion he IS DEFINITELY One of The BEST WR’s in the NFL and I hope the Rams & Goff can keep him a RAM for many, MANY Years!!!

Last edited:

Flint

Pro Bowler
I wonder what the long term plan is for Kupp? Cooks is locked up and I’m sure Kupp is a priority so what does that mean for Woods? He is likely to be the lowest paid if the 3. Is he ok with that or does he want one more good contract ? Woods has turned out to be real bargain compared to someone like Sammy for instance. I wonder if they would try to use Reynolds in that role, he’s probably better suited to replace Woods than he was Kupp.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We win that Super Bowl if we have Kupp. Nobody can convince me otherwise. He was a HUGE loss for us, to the point where it's amazing we got to the dance without him.

And re: Kupp's contract... You lock him up and make room for him if you have to. Worst case scenario they trade Cooks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In truth both Kupp & Woods would be true co equal threat.

These two are just off the charts IMO as true outstanding wide outs in the NFL. While Kupp's YAC is great Woods general importance to this offense is just as great!

Sadly Gurley is no longer a true NFL threat. He is still important to McVay this season but as time moves on Henderson & Brown (IF he gets healthy) will join Gurley RB by committee situation. Its as a receiver who is already close to being a bigger threat than Gurley.

I would suggest McVay utilize Gurley more in the passing game as this season wears on.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I am not as down on Gurley as many are. I actually think he has looked pretty decent when given the carries this year. And his TD conversion rate in the red zone has been solid. I do think they are limiting his snaps due to health concerns, which renders him grossly overpaid. You cannot have a RB making that much money to not be a bell cow. But the contract has been signed now, so there is no use dwelling on it.

The offensive line has been awful. The worst in the NFL arguably up until a few weeks ago. Considering that, Gurley has done pretty well. How soon some forget that Gurley looked no better as a sophomore during the Fisher years when our o-line got no push. Nobody was talking about injures then. I just don't think Gurley is as good as other elite backs at creating things out of nothing. He's a home run hitter, but he does need a crease. His vision was never elite.

Gurley is also a RB that runs relatively upright, so he never looks overly explosive or like he is running overly fast. Fans see that on TV and think "he's injured, he's not as good as he was before, look how much quicker Henderson looks!".... well, looks can be deceiving. Gurley's long, galloping strides are one of his biggest advantages. Go watch his highlight films. Perhaps what makes Gurley so deadly is that once he gets the ball in space, defenders *consistently* take poor tackling angles on him because he never looks like he is travelling overly fast. His speed is deceptive. It's a good thing.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I am not as down on Gurley as many are. I actually think he has looked pretty decent when given the carries this year. And his TD conversion rate in the red zone has been solid. I do think they are limiting his snaps due to health concerns, which renders him grossly overpaid. You cannot have a RB making that much money to not be a bell cow. But the contract has been signed now, so there is no use dwelling on it.

The offensive line has been awful. The worst in the NFL arguably up until a few weeks ago. Considering that, Gurley has done pretty well. How soon some forget that Gurley looked no better as a sophomore during the Fisher years when our o-line got no push. Nobody was talking about injures then. I just don't think Gurley is as good as other elite backs at creating things out of nothing. He's a home run hitter, but he does need a crease. His vision was never elite.

Gurley is also a RB that runs relatively upright, so he never looks overly explosive or like he is running overly fast. Fans see that on TV and think "he's injured, he's not as good as he was before, look how much quicker Henderson looks!".... well, looks can be deceiving. Gurley's long, galloping strides are one of his biggest advantages. Go watch his highlight films. Perhaps what makes Gurley so deadly is that once he gets the ball in space, defenders *consistently* take poor tackling angles on him because he never looks like he is travelling overly fast. His speed is deceptive. It's a good thing.

good post, I agree with most of it

dang

Legend
I am praying Kupp gets to play all 16 games this season. I was high on him coming out of the draft but I had no idea what he could do after the catch. Now if we could only unleash the same from Everett on a more consistent basis. These 2 could be the receiving tandem that carries the Rams for the next 5+ seasons.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Good running backs can be found easier than good receivers. Maybe a guy with Gurley's ability is rare but that position is more interchangeable than receiver. I was not a fan of the huge Gurley contract. RBs are high on the injury risk scale. Kupp is a must keep priority.

In Cooks defense, he was the only bright spot in the Rams Superbowl offense. If Goff sees him a second sooner he has an easy touchdown standing in the end zone. He had another if it wasn't interfered with. Woods, for as good as he is was too easy for the Patriots to handle without Kupp on the field also. Cooks speed gave them trouble but Goff rarely had a clear line of site or time to get him the ball.