Why can't Rams get a freaking takeaway?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I don't believe it's just random luck.

There has got to be a reason(s) why the Rams can't get a TO to save their life. I just don't know why. If I had to guess I would say it was because they are so young. But it's just a guess.

Memphis Ram

Legend
DTs (not DEs/LBs) not getting their hands up to tip passes.

Coverage too soft in the secondary.

Oftentimes the secondary is more concerned about knocking down opponent vs. wrapping him up allowing someone else to go for strip.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
max said:
I don't believe it's just random luck.

There has got to be a reason(s) why the Rams can't get a TO to save their life. I just don't know why. If I had to guess I would say it was because they are so young. But it's just a guess.

I'd prefer to believe we've played two well coached teams that are good with ball security and that we have a team coming up we might be able to allay your concerns against. :ww:

TexRamFan

Rookie
I have wondered this as well.

My guess would be the soft coverage allowing for the underneath completions. Although we are young in the secondary the guys who seemed to be getting the most picks last year early were Finnegan and Jenkins. Unless I missed it, they have yet to have one.

If QB's keep getting rid of the ball quick before our pressure gets to them and keep finding wide open guys short it might be a while before we see another TO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I've counted three potential turnovers that didn't bounce our way in these past two games, so I'd be more apt to let the season play out a little before calling this a concern. Shit happens. There was a stretch during the middle of last year that we caused a ton of loose balls, but they kept bouncing back to the other team. When all was said and done last year, we ended up right where we are now (-1).

Last year we were 17th in TO ratio, and now we're 19th. Let's see how it plays out.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
I've counted three potential turnovers that didn't bounce our way in these past two games, so I'd be more apt to let the season play out a little before calling this a concern. shyte happens. There was a stretch during the middle of last year that we caused a ton of loose balls, but they kept bouncing back to the other team. When all was said and done last year, we ended up right where we are now (-1).

Last year we were 17th in TO ratio, and now we're 19th. Let's see how it plays out.

I'm a bit skeptical of that explanation. I think it's more likely that we have a bunch of kids who are still focused on not making mistakes where a seasoned vet knows all the tricks in getting a takeaway. We don't have guys like that in our back 7 yet.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Allow me to interject something completely superfluous.

I NEVER yell at a wrestler after a loss,it's disrespectful of the guy who beat him.

If we had played this way had these results against Jax and Oakland ( sorry Bob) I'd be more alarmed , and maybe I'm just blowin sunshine up peoples asses ,but we have played two good teams ,I think the takeaways are gonna come .

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
X said:
I've counted three potential turnovers that didn't bounce our way in these past two games, so I'd be more apt to let the season play out a little before calling this a concern. shyte happens. There was a stretch during the middle of last year that we caused a ton of loose balls, but they kept bouncing back to the other team. When all was said and done last year, we ended up right where we are now (-1).

Yeah. And Bradford has had 2 tipped balls go for pick-6's. Still sounds like luck (or a curse).

Graphicker

Starter
It's just how the ball rolls. We have forced 5 fumbles but only have recovered 1.

I don't even know why is this a topic. It's not the takeaways that have been killing us, It's the penalties and dumb luck.

It's the last thing in my mind to blame. If this defense and Offense can play like they do in the second half for

the rest of the year for 60 Mins we won't even need TO's. It's a dominant unit in the making, We just have to catch lighting in a bottle.

bluecoconuts

Legend
As far as interceptions go, I think our secondary isn't playing as aggressive as they could be. My guess would be that this is part of the process for a young team being built up.

Graphicker

Starter
bluecoconuts said:
As far as interceptions go, I think our secondary isn't playing as aggressive as they could be. My guess would be that this is part of the process for a young team being built up.

Read it wrong. You're right.

RamzFanz

Damnit
max said:
I'm a bit skeptical of that explanation. I think it's more likely that we have a bunch of kids who are still focused on not making mistakes where a seasoned vet knows all the tricks in getting a takeaway. We don't have guys like that in our back 7 yet.

Which would fail to account for Janoris Jenkins, the highest scoring defensive player in the NFL last season, as a rookie.

My take on it is simple, you can't intercept what you are no where near. Playing soft doesn't just allow successful pass after successful pass, it makes it impossible to intercept.

The fumbles will come our way in spurts. I wouldn't be shocked to see 2-3 this game.