Why Bradford hasn't agreed to "home town" discount yet?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ram007

Starter
Healthy Russel Wilson (2 super bowls, 1 SB win, 10-1 against SB winning QBs, most games won in first 3 years as QB, earned a paltry 3 million dollars or so doing it) is willing to take a home town discount.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/...sion-to-keep-seahawks-competitive/#30366101=0

I wonder why Sam Bradford has not already agreed to a "home town discount" and restructured his contract with Rams already.

Don't the Rams deserve it for all the faith and little production they got out of him? I understand the devil is in the details when it comes to Wilson's contract, if this is true, I have my questions about Bradford's commitment to this team.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
First off, define what a "hometown discount" is in terms of percentage or dollars? Because Wilson is getting paid in his new deal. Period. And if this "discount" that he MAY take is anything substantive, I'd be pretty shocked.

Second, if Bradford's smart, he's just letting his agent and Snead hash it out while focusing on football. Something's going to get done. I'm not worried or questioning Bradford's commitment at all. This is normal.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sam has leverage...simple as that...weak QB market, supply v. demand, and the fact that this team needs him.....why should he re-structure? Where is his motivation?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
First thing that comes to my mind is these two QBs are under contracts that were developed under differing CBAs. Second Bradford was the number one over all pick in the draft, Wilson was a third round pick. Comparing the two rookie contracts is just not comparing the same thing.

As for reworking the contract, I have seen nothing that indicates the Rams and Bradford's agent have entered negotiations. If the Rams want to rework the deal it is incumbent on them to start the process.

jjab360

Legend
Sam has leverage...simple as that...weak QB market, supply v. demand, and the fact that this team needs him.....why should he re-structure? Where is his motivation?
Because he's coming off of two consecutive ACL reconstruction surgeries and there's not going to be another team in the league that values him nearly as much as we do?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Because he's coming off of two consecutive ACL reconstruction surgeries and there's not going to be another team in the league that values him nearly as much as we do?
Given the piss poor state of the position this year in both FA and the draft, the latter statement might not be as true as you think.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

At the same time, he knows we probably won't cut him for lack of a better option, and even if we do there's likely at least 1 team that'll pay him good money.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
He's just doing what any of us would do if we were in his shoes, get as much of that money you can while you can. Cant blame him but I do see what you're saying.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If he were to become a free agent, he would get paid a LOT of non guaranteed money. He could get a sizeable multi year contract that would only get paid if he stayed healthy.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
At the same time, he knows we probably won't cut him for lack of a better option, and even if we do there's likely at least 1 team that'll pay him good money.

Makes you wonder if the agent will even bother returning any calls from KD.

V3

Hall of Fame
There's ALWAYS a stupid team out there. I would be willing to bet Buffalo or Houston would be willing to to pay Bradford. There's always a team, coach, or GM that thinks they can change a player, get lucky, or coach better.

I really feel Bradford has all the leverage here. I don't get why people think Bradford should or would even consider giving a discount. That's not how professional sports work. When a discount does happen, it's extremely rare. Don't go expecting it. Given the poor draft, FA, and all the QB hungry teams out there, I don't see Bradford's agent giving any type of discount.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
First off, define what a "hometown discount" is in terms of percentage or dollars? Because Wilson is getting paid in his new deal. Period. And if this "discount" that he MAY take is anything substantive, I'd be pretty shocked.

Second, if Bradford's smart, he's just letting his agent and Snead hash it out while focusing on football. Something's going to get done. I'm not worried or questioning Bradford's commitment at all. This is normal.
This conversation should have stopped here. This is literally all there is to the situation.

jjab360

Legend
You guys aren't looking at this objectively. A QB who has never proven himself better than average and is coming off of two consecutive ACL injuries on the same knee is not going to make anywhere near as much as he made on his rookie contract in free agency. I like Bradford, but at this point he's approaching the DX category and there is absolutely no way we don't either restructure or take a chance on cutting and re-signing him after he gets a look at the open market.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
He's just doing what any of us would do if we were in his shoes, get as much of that money you can while you can. Cant blame him but I do see what you're saying.
I disagree with such sweeping statements trying to speak for everyone. It's like when people say stuff like "everyone would cheat on their taxes if they knew they'd get away with it". Well, no, that's just not true.

Everybody is different and has a different idea of what they'd do in SB's shoes, which is why so many different opinions. If you think it's hypocritical or naive to think anyone would give any kind of "discount", fine, but we can't ignore the examples where professional athletes gave up millions in different situations. By no means should people expect it here, but can't blame fans for wishing for the best outcome for their team.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul

It must be opposite day because @Boffo97 is making an awful lot of sense.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
You guys aren't looking at this objectively. A QB who has never proven himself better than average and is coming off of two consecutive ACL injuries on the same knee is not going to make anywhere near as much as he made on his rookie contract in free agency. I like Bradford, but at this point he's approaching the DX category and there is absolutely no way we don't either restructure or take a chance on cutting and re-signing him after he gets a look at the open market.
I'm absolutely looking at this objectively. Supply and Demand is REALLY going to help Bradford this year.

It must be opposite day because @Boffo97 is making an awful lot of sense.
This makes me a saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Boffo... :(

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I disagree with such sweeping statements trying to speak for everyone. It's like when people say stuff like "everyone would cheat on their taxes if they knew they'd get away with it". Well, no, that's just not true.

Everybody is different and has a different idea of what they'd do in SB's shoes, which is why so many different opinions. If you think it's hypocritical or naive to think anyone would give any kind of "discount", fine, but we can't ignore the examples where professional athletes gave up millions in different situations. By no means should people expect it here, but can't blame fans for wishing for the best outcome for their team.

Ok thats fine, i shouldn't have said "What any of us would do in his shoes" I should have said what I would do if I was in his shoes. you got me there, feel better now?

as far as using what I said to talk about taxes and such, please now your getting off topic.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I actually think the Rams have more leverage than one might think. They can cut him September 1, so who is going to pick him up then?
After Not having gone through training camp, and Not having learned a new system.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I actually think the Rams have more leverage than one might think. They can cut him September 1, so who is going to pick him up then?
After Not having gone through training camp, and Not having learned a new system.
This is a great point but I think Rams fans are kind of in wishful thinking mode. Even if all logic points to the Rams having leverage, remember the little fact that Bradford's agent is Tom Condon. He simply doesn't allow his clients to be bullied or negotiate from a lack of leverage. Instead his clients are always the ones people gawk at and wonder how they hell did they just get such a mega contract (see Romo, Tony). Rest assured whatever little sliver of possibility of leverage Bradford has, his agent is exploiting it. So these media stories leaking the Rams interest in renegotiating are just fantasy until I hear anything about Bradford's agent being open to some kind of deal.