Why are we not hearing Fassel's name

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I keep hearing Walton, Shotty, Fisher catching hell in their turn, JMO the special teams have sinned and sinned against all the other phases and yet I can't remember one thread about Fassel,he is still the ST coach isn't he?

He does coach never get to the twenty Benny, he does instruct the PR blocking on how it's done doesn't he? I was in the stands shouting,don't block every time we received a punt last Sunday , at least we'd get to fair catch and not go backwards from there.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Right after the ATL game, I remember Fish proclaiming that he was going to make the players committing the ST penalties a "Deal They Can't Refuse". He cited his past experience with this same "technique" getting the desired results. I did mention that I heard this after the ATL game didn't I?

It's more than just the penalties on STs too. That bullshit call on the punt last week that resulted in the punt being blocked. Come on.

I think Fish has always had a big part in the STs. He likes the trickery and he is a gambler with his STs. He's got a bunch of inexperience out on the field,,, and he's confusing THEM. I blame Fish for being too cute with this young unit.

I blame Fassel for making absolutely NO IMPROVEMENT in this area after 5 games. Talk about lack of execution... there it is.

V3

Hall of Fame
I wonder if it's Fisher who controls who plays on ST. Maybe Fisher doesn't want his starters to take over for the repeat offending special teams players? If Fisher doesn't want his starters playing, what can Fassel do? He has to replace them with someone else.

I don't know what's going on but it's taking too long to make changes. It took 5 weeks for the Rams to figure out that they NEED to put on pads in practice and start actually tackling. How long will it take for them to realize that these stupid players that keep making mistakes aren't going to learn unless there are consequences for not changing the mistakes? It's on the coaches at this point- not the players.

Also, you can't blame the refs on the penalties. The Rams are a marked team with regards to penalties. They are known for having the most so refs look for them and err on the side of a penalty if something is close. Whether it's fair or not doesn't matter at this point. The only way to change it is to play clean football for an extended period of time to prove the refs wrong. Only then will refs start changing their attitude about the Rams and penalties.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Selassie I said:
Right after the ATL game, I remember Fish proclaiming that he was going to make the players committing the ST penalties a "Deal They Can't Refuse". He cited his past experience with this same "technique" getting the desired results. I did mention that I heard this after the ATL game didn't I?

It's more than just the penalties on STs too. That BS call on the punt last week that resulted in the punt being blocked. Come on.

I think Fish has always had a big part in the STs. He likes the trickery and he is a gambler with his STs. He's got a bunch of inexperience out on the field,,, and he's confusing THEM. I blame Fish for being too cute with this young unit.

I blame Fassel for making absolutely NO IMPROVEMENT in this area after 5 games. Talk about lack of execution... there it is.

As far as Fisher's role in the "trickery", I don't completely agree with that. It's one thing to be a gambler with Special Teams, its another to just get too cute for your own good.

Fisher's "role" in the "trickery" IMO, is simply to decide WHEN to make the call. The fake punt (incomplete pass) against Dallas was HIS decision to say yes or no. But the design of the play, and the specific design of the schemes is all on Fassel.

At some point, he needs to realize what he is dealing with, and quit being so damned cute. Who is he actually fooling with the motion on a punt coverage unit? It all breaks down IF Hekker doesn't get the ball to the designated sideline. Look at the return for a TD (that was called back). He motioned the gunner to the right side of the formation, because the kick was to be to that sideline. Instead, Hekker mishit the punt, and it went RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE of the field. the result?..... Return for a TD!!!!!

Again, this is the NFL, and these sort of gimmicks just don't fool anyone. Get back to the basics and just execute.

Graphicker

Starter
Because it's not his fault. Hekker is the best punter in the league right now. Geeezy hasn't missed a FG and our Returns are money.. He can't control the players and there mental errors. We haven't allowed a huge return either, The ST unit has been the best part of this team IMO.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Graphicker said:
Because it's not his fault. Hekker is the best punter in the league right now. Geeezy hasn't missed a FG and our Returns are money.. He can't control the players and there mental errors. We haven't allowed a huge return either, The ST unit has been the best part of this team IMO.
Minus the return unit

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I tend to give Special Teams a bigger "pass". Why? This is where the youth of the team cuts their teeth. It's also not as much of a game planning unit.

That's why I'm harder on the OC and DC. They game plan. It's strategic. Watch tape. Exploit the opposition.

So far - as a whole: not happy! :grr:

But hopeful it changes starting this week because it's not too late! :nice:

Graphicker

Starter
Rabid Ram said:
Graphicker said:
Minus the return unit

No doubt.. But that's out of his control. That comes from the over aggression of Ray Ray and Bates. Both young players.
But Fassel has been amazing since arriving in Stlouis. Hekker and Geezy have grown and are coming on nicely, That's all on him.
The Tackling on returns are on him as well and the directional kicking and punting.

It's the over aggression that's killing us.. And like many of us have said, We're getting banged by constant ticky tack crap that goes uncalled in another games not including the rams. We've been getting some hideous calls go our way.

Hekker made PFF's All month team along with Quinn in the month of Sep.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
CGI_Ram said:
I tend to give Special Teams a bigger "pass". Why? This is where the youth of the team cuts their teeth. It's also not as much of a game planning unit.

That's why I'm harder on the OC and DC. They game plan. It's strategic. Watch tape. Exploit the opposition.

So far - as a whole: not happy! :grr:

But hopeful it changes starting this week because it's not too late! :nice:

Here's a list of what I have seen on the field during ST's...

Six Rookies...Bates, McGee, Bailey, Armstrong, Davis, Cunningham.
Six Second yr players..Reynolds, Punter, Kicker, Jenkins, McLeod & Tim Barnes.
Two Vets...McQuaide, Giordano

Yes those two LB'ers win the prize for the most flags

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If Fassel does not clean this shit up, he will be fired at the end of the year. No excuse for a team to commit a penalty on every special team return. I don't give a damn if you're staring a bunch of ten year olds, no excuse whatsoever!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Graphicker said:
Y'all owe this man an apology..
why ? because he FINALLY had a clean game ?

bskrilla

Starter
Graphicker said:
Y'all owe this man an apology..

I'm not going to apologize because we finally had a game without half a dozen ST penalties.

Also, I can't figure out why in the world Tavon would be on for 1 KR late in the 4th where he just sits on it...

What was the point of that?