Why Are The Rams Playing So Well Now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

were cigs and foles that bad? well obviously yes but the whole team seems to be playing at a different level.

has the new average offense, instead of the old putrid offense, inspired the d to play better? or are they just playing at the same level without the offense being a ship anchor chained to their ankles? i'm guessing it's difficult to look good when the opposing team has all the ball.

but this season seems to follow a trend that started when fisher arrived. start slow, pick it up after a few weeks, just when we get some hope they roll out 4 or 5 abysmal games to knock them out of the playoff race, then finish strong, or stronger.

if the same thing happens again next season i might neck myself. are the last 3 weeks fools gold or are the rams onto something?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

were cigs and foles that bad? well obviously yes but the whole team seems to be playing at a different level.

has the new average offense, instead of the old putrid offense, inspired the d to play better? or are they just playing at the same level without the offense being a ship anchor chained to their ankles? i'm guessing it's difficult to look good when the opposing team has all the ball.

but this season seems to follow a trend that started when fisher arrived. start slow, pick it up after a few weeks, just when we get some hope they roll out 4 or 5 abysmal games to knock them out of the playoff race, then finish strong, or stronger.

if the same thing happens again next season i might neck myself. are the last 3 weeks fools gold or are the rams onto something?

They have a guy who can play QB and that makes a big difference.
Not a playmaker. Not a gunslinger. Just a QB.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think watching a coach get shitcanned may have put things into perspective for some on the team and on the staff.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
The offense isn't going 3 and out every series so the D is getting some rest. Most of the season we've begged for average qb play and we are finally getting it.

fancents86

Starter
I wouldn't say "so well", I'd call it "good enough". Imagine what this team could be if we could average 300+ passing yards a game and made holes for Gurley consistently, along with our D making big plays.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
A few things, I think...
1 - Keenum is better than Foles
2 - Boras is better than Cignetti
3 - Seeing the OC canned has lit a fire, as guys know there are repercussions to sucking
4 - Pressure is off. They're no longer the "About to blow up and storm into the playoffs!" Rams. They're back to having no real pressure except to play the spoiler, a role which they're very good at.
5 - Havenstein is healthy, Wichmann is more experienced, and the OL as a whole is starting to jell.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I wouldn't say "so well", I'd call it "good enough". Imagine what this team could be if we could average 300+ passing yards a game and made holes for Gurley consistently, along with our D making big plays.
True, but there are not many teams that are going to throw for 300+ yards at SEATTLE in the rain.

Athos

Legend
Dunno. Team under Fisher seems to struggle mightily under the bright lights for must win games but as soon as they're out of the running and thus no more pressure, start playing well again.

But not having the worst QB in the league passing the ball certainly helps.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I agree with the points people have listed except I don't think firing Cigs had any big psychological effect. I think the two main points are better QB play and consistency on the OL. At some point hopefully Fisher realizes that experience jelling as a unit is just as important as choosing the best individual talent. Pick the starters right away and use the preseason to actually let the line jell, not constantly shuffle players in and around the line in a never-ending competition so it takes 10 real games (when there's always even more injury shuffling) to finally see a decent unit. This year may have been an impossible task given so many new faces, the individual failings (*cough* GRob) and injuries on the OL, but next season there's no excuse (yes another new "no excuse" different from the last two offseasons)...

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think this staff puts in about 3 times as much work on divisional game plans as non divisional games.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think it's about our offensive line. When we first had our rooks take over, there was quite a bit of turmoil we couldn't get past. Yesterday Wichmann, was one of the top rated guards in the league (Hey Bennett, maybe you weren't impressed w/ our rookie RB..... how about that rookie guard that whipped you ass on Sunday......?).
And on another note, when Quinn first started missing games, our defense couldn't make up the difference. esterday, we had a couple of guys in the rotation go out. We just kept on chugging along. And that's about growing up.
Yeah, we still have a ways to go.........but we are learning how to get there.

…..

Legend
I know we went to prevent offense after I looked at our 3rd down conversion, so the final number dipped, but at one point we were 50% on our 3rd down conversions and that is huge.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A few things, I think...
1 - Keenum is better than Foles
2 - Boras is better than Cignetti
3 - Seeing the OC canned has lit a fire, as guys know there are repercussions to sucking
4 - Pressure is off. They're no longer the "About to blow up and storm into the playoffs!" Rams. They're back to having no real pressure except to play the spoiler, a role which they're very good at.
5 - Havenstein is healthy, Wichmann is more experienced, and the OL as a whole is starting to jell.

Especially #3 & #5 IMO.

bbach

UDFA
I don't really think we are playing any better. I think we simply show up about half the time and look like a competitive team. Wouldn't it be fun if we were still in the playoff hunt?

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I think it's a combination of things happening, including Boras, Keenum, Havenstein's return, and OL stability. On the other side of the line, it's Hayes transitioning from part-time DE to full-time, Tru gearing up for a new contract, and ....just maybe.... better Safety play? Was TJ Mac a liability, especially with knocking his own teammates out?

fearsomefour

Legend
Hard to guess about the psych affects of firings. I don't think they were unmotivated before. I don't think guys were skipping work or taking short cuts before.
One thing that really really stood out to me yesterday was the D. They came in short handed and quickly lost Fairley (who has been playing very well) and Barron who my be the MVP on the D. Others guys went down and came back as well.
The D really, really was impressive to me yesterday. Playing in Seattle shorthanded vs an O that has been the best in the league the last month....this is not a game the Rams would have won the last couple of years.
The O doesn't have to be great as we have all said. It is also not always about putting up points either. A couple of times in the game the Rams O started deep in their own territory. The did not score on those possessions, but, they held the ball and picked up several first downs. Allowing the D to both rest and look at video on the side line along with switch field position was so key in this game. Seattle getting the ball on their own 20 as opposed to midfield is just huge. This sort of thing doesn't really show up in the stat sheet but it was huge in this game.
This win showed a tremendous amount of heart and desire by the team. Both sides of the ball.
Barnes symbolized that with his two fumble recoveries on the TD drive.
Super impressed with the D yesterday.