Why All The Evans Hate?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Everyone has an opinion, and they have that right. Mine, for what it's worth, comparing those highlight reels is kinda off putting.
One guy plays small time opponents, the other plays elite DBs every week. But who the hell knows. TO went to Chattanooga I believe. Quick, to me, has the potential, but this isn't really a wait around and see league.

V3

Hall of Fame
I was just thinking that about Givens the other day. Also,
How come Tayvon never got those deep balls? He is faster than CG, yet he never had back to back 50+ yard catch games. Seems those would have been good for his confidence.

With regards to Austin not being used on deep throws, I think that's just one of the many examples of why a sizable group of fans question whether Schotty knows how to use Austin. Route running is one of Austin's biggest weaknesses and fly/go routes would be the easiest route for him to run. I don't get it either. Even if Austin didn't get thrown to, it would clear out the shorter stuff for Cook, et al.

V3

Hall of Fame
Everyone has an opinion, and they have that right. Mine, for what it's worth, comparing those highlight reels is kinda off putting.
One guy plays small time opponents, the other plays elite DBs every week. But who the hell knows. TO went to Chattanooga I believe. Quick, to me, has the potential, but this isn't really a wait around and see league.

I kinda make it a point NOT to watch highlight reel videos on YouTube. I look for videos that show every play so you can the the good and the bad and the frequency for both.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Givens and Austin can both stretch the field. That's almost all the Givens can do...at least that's what he did last year. I'm beginning to wonder if all that extra mass he added in the offseason slowed him down.
True, for the sake of keeping my post short I did not elaborate. Neither Austin nor Givens are physical which in my opinion is one of the reasons Givens struggled.
Both Watkins and Lee run 4.3 - 4.4 and are pretty good route runners already, Watkins is a little more physical and Lee is a little better in open space IMO.
I like Evans but a lot of what he offers gets equalized at the NFL level, CB's are bigger, more physical and of course faster. His size is very alluring though.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
True, for the sake of keeping my post short I did not elaborate. Neither Austin nor Givens are physical which in my opinion is one of the reasons Givens struggled.
Both Watkins and Lee run 4.3 - 4.4 and are pretty good route runners already, Watkins is a little more physical and Lee is a little better in open space IMO.
I like Evans but a lot of what he offers gets equalized at the NFL level, CB's are bigger, more physical and of course faster. His size is very alluring though.
From what I have seen from Lee and Watkins, Lee gets open and runs in the open space...Watkins can make the catch while being covered THEN create the open space.

ausmurp

Starter
The proof is out there that Evans is not as NFL ready as Lee and Watkins. We've taken too many chances and passed on the NFL ready WRs too many times (see Jeffery and Allen). We can't afford to do it again.

Evans is a good talent but probably won't thrive in our offense. He will take longer to develop than Lee or Watkins, but has better ceiling. His route running is the biggest question as TAMU runs a crazy offense where Manziel runs around, the WRs run around and Manziel throws the ball up to them after breaking a tackle and staying in the pocket for 10 seconds...lol. Don't doubt Manziel as much as you do, I think he can be like...hate to say it...Russ Wilson.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
With regards to Austin not being used on deep throws, I think that's just one of the many examples of why a sizable group of fans question whether Schotty knows how to use Austin. Route running is one of Austin's biggest weaknesses and fly/go routes would be the easiest route for him to run. I don't get it either. Even if Austin didn't get thrown to, it would clear out the shorter stuff for Cook, et al.
I completely agree with this and have wondered why he didn't get used more as a flanker than slot receiver. If height really is the only disadvantage against Austin, then to me he's already better than Givens who'm I haven't seen any kind of fight from when it comes to going up for the ball. But to me this kid has the ability to make a move to lose his receiver and the speed to keep his timing on the route.

Here's why I think they haven't, first it's experience. They gave him a lot of attempts as a slot receiver and quite a few end around attempts, all stuff he was familiar with already from college right? So, just in the same light that they gave Richardson the rush attempts at the beginning of the season, Givens just got those routes because it was his second year, especially after seeing so much success last year.

Second, the defensive backs have more time to get to the ball on deep routes, so in that regard the 4 inches he has on Tavon may be a bigger deal? I don't know myself, just guessing.

Third is simple, Clemens vs. Bradford. Clemens is just not a deep ball quarterback.

There's not much doubt that he's not a flanker that you'd want to throw to in double coverage, so it depends on what the defense is doing. But I could see him lining up as a flanker with some success next year, especially with something like a curl route. I really think he can have some success on a curl route as a flanker, against both corners and safties and even in double coverage, where it may help with the height difference.

fancents86

Starter
can we have a evans/watkins sticky thread so we dont have to see there names in every thread anymore?

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If you don't wanna see the names, probably don't click the title with their names on it. Let's not act as if you were bamboozled into this. That being said, I made this thread to attempt to get more insight on Watkins. As an SEC guy, I don't see much of him, and I see a lot of Evans. And as things normally tend to do, they slide of topic slightly to fuel a debate.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
you talking about the same Evans that was flagged twice in the 1st quarter for unsportsmanlike conduct toward the officials?

He going to have to learn to earn his way.....it wont be handed to him.

Sounds like he would fit right in!

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Sounds like he would fit right in!
Haha this actually made me lol, people looking at me weird and shit. Lol but it's the truth

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
All I see is people talking about Watkins. Maybe y'all didn't watch much SEC ball, but Mike Evans IS why Manziel looked good. I know Watkins is a stud, I would love to have him. But I don't know that I take any receiver over Evans. The dude was such a beast. I didn't see Watkins play consistently, I've only seen highlights. So, I'm hoping someone here has watched both play a lot and can kinda break it down for me. I see Evans play, and the guy uses his body/size better than most guys I've ever seen.

I don't think anyone "hates" him, dude. Heck if he comes at considerably better value than Watkins than I prefer him. Watkins displays a better overall skill set and and that's why most prefer him, including myself.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Oh...they hatin!!! lol I just titled it this after reading some arguments. lol

jjab360

Legend
The proof is out there that Evans is not as NFL ready as Lee and Watkins. We've taken too many chances and passed on the NFL ready WRs too many times (see Jeffery and Allen). We can't afford to do it again.

Evans is a good talent but probably won't thrive in our offense. He will take longer to develop than Lee or Watkins, but has better ceiling. His route running is the biggest question as TAMU runs a crazy offense where Manziel runs around, the WRs run around and Manziel throws the ball up to them after breaking a tackle and staying in the pocket for 10 seconds...lol. Don't doubt Manziel as much as you do, I think he can be like...hate to say it...Russ Wilson.
This is the reason I don't want to get into the Evans/Watkins debate. Because people say a ton of things just like that without actually providing any of the "proof".