Why All The Evans Hate?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
All I see is people talking about Watkins. Maybe y'all didn't watch much SEC ball, but Mike Evans IS why Manziel looked good. I know Watkins is a stud, I would love to have him. But I don't know that I take any receiver over Evans. The dude was such a beast. I didn't see Watkins play consistently, I've only seen highlights. So, I'm hoping someone here has watched both play a lot and can kinda break it down for me. I see Evans play, and the guy uses his body/size better than most guys I've ever seen.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I haven't seen anyone hatin on Evans ust a whole bunch of posts (RFIP) touting Watkins. Evans has the size we don't have developed but my problem is with either of them is they are liekly to take a year or two to develop. By then do we need them or is the Oline more of a need by then.

RFIP

How many times have you seen Manzeil have to get in this guys grill? He's a bit of a head case and not a fluid route runner. He's more VJax/Quick ie slow starters who aren't open but need the ball anyways...in Quick's case that usually ends in disaster.

…..

Legend
you talking about the same Evans that was flagged twice in the 1st quarter for unsportsmanlike conduct toward the officials?

He going to have to learn to earn his way.....it wont be handed to him.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He reminds me of Jackson. We all love our guys, and they got flagged an ungodly amount last Sunday. Refs are idiots. Yea, I noticed that the RFIP boys are in love with Watkins, I'm not a draftnit, I don't know a whole lot about him, hoping to get some insight. But I've seen Evans just dominate.

RFIP

Watch Watkins tomorrow night vs OSU.

Also go back and check out one of his videos I posted here last week.

jjab360

Legend
Honestly, I'm pretty much done with the Watkins vs. Evans debate, at least until the combine. Both are pretty good players (though one is clearly more physically dominant than the other), but the Watkins fans seem to completely lack objectivity in the matter.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Didn't aim for this to turn into an argument fellas. But I think the combine will show a lot. If Evans can run under a 4.5 which I don't see happening. He will be hard to pass IMO

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Honestly, I'm pretty much done with the Watkins vs. Evans debate, at least until the combine. Both are pretty good players (though one is clearly more physically dominant than the other), but the Watkins fans seem to completely lack objectivity in the matter.

Which is why I'm beginning to hate draft talk more and more each year. Just b/c you have "your guy" doesn't mean someone else can't be as good. It's more of a problem on a certain other board than here tho.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think Evans is more of the type of WR the Rams need. We need someone that's big and physical to go against the physical DB's in our division. I'll form my opinion on who I prefer later but right now, just going off what fits the Rams better, I think Evans would be preferred.

Just kind of a side note: Is there a reason Cook couldn't be converted to WR to fill that role on the team? He's basically Evans in terms of physical attributes.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame

What!? you don't want to fight about this?.... come on, come on.... Watkins is OBV the best receiver in the draft and till infinity!
:heh:

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think Evans is more of the type of WR the Rams need. We need someone that's big and physical to go against the physical DB's in our division. I'll form my opinion on who I prefer later but right now, just going off what fits the Rams better, I think Evans would be preferred.

Just kind of a side note: Is there a reason Cook couldn't be converted to WR to fill that role on the team? He's basically Evans in terms of physical attributes.

I have thought this too. He has receiver speed, can't block for shit.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
We need a guy who can stretch the field, I don't see that in Evans at the next level he is not as NFL ready as lee and Watkins.

iced

I wouldn't say a few posters applies to "all watkins" fans...

I mean come on this is Sammy Watkins we're talking about... his tears could care cancer, he just never cries..

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't see the top end talent in Evans. I really don't think he'd add anything more than what Quick is right now. In fact, I think Quick has a lot more upside than Evans in almost every area.

V3

Hall of Fame
We need a guy who can stretch the field, I don't see that in Evans at the next level he is not as NFL ready as lee and Watkins.

Givens and Austin can both stretch the field. That's almost all the Givens can do...at least that's what he did last year. I'm beginning to wonder if all that extra mass he added in the offseason slowed him down.

jjab360

Legend
I wouldn't say a few posters applies to "all watkins" fans...

I mean come on this is Sammy Watkins we're talking about... his tears could care cancer, he just never cries..
Lol, but yeah, you're right. What I meant to say was some of the Watkins fans.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Givens and Austin can both stretch the field. That's almost all the Givens can do...at least that's what he did last year. I'm beginning to wonder if all that extra mass he added in the offseason slowed him down.
I was just thinking that about Givens the other day. Also,
How come Tayvon never got those deep balls? He is faster than CG, yet he never had back to back 50+ yard catch games. Seems those would have been good for his confidence.

jjab360

Legend
I don't see the top end talent in Evans. I really don't think he'd add anything more than what Quick is right now. In fact, I think Quick has a lot more upside than Evans in almost every area.
That's a pretty ridiculous stance to take, IMO. What does Quick do better than Evans?

Is he bigger? No, Evans has two inches and 15 pounds on him.
Is he faster? Not really.
Does he have better hands? Not at all.
Does he have better body control? Nah, Evans is elite here.
Does he have better ball skills? Quick juggles a lot of balls, a lot of his highlights in college were double catches. Not a good sign.
Was he more pro-ready? Quick notoriously had an extremely simple college playbook at App State, he didn't even have a positions coach. Evans will be a lot more prepared coming out of the SEC.

Saying Quick has more upside than Evans is like saying Fendi Onobun has more upside than Jimmy Graham, imo. They might have almost similar measurables, but one has the mentality for the position and the other one simply does not.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
That's a pretty ridiculous stance to take, IMO. What does Quick do better than Evans?

Is he bigger? No, Evans has two inches and 15 pounds on him.
Is he faster? Not really.
Does he have better hands? Not at all.
Does he have better body control? Nah, Evans is elite here.
Does he have better ball skills? Quick juggles a lot of balls, a lot of his highlights in college were double catches. Not a good sign.
Was he more pro-ready? Quick notoriously had an extremely simple college playbook at App State, he didn't even have a positions coach. Evans will be a lot more prepared coming out of the SEC.

Saying Quick has more upside than Evans is like saying Fendi Onobun has more upside than Jimmy Graham, imo. They might have almost similar measurables, but one has the mentality for the position and the other one simply does not.
Lol...oh, so I said Quick is Jimmy Graham? I think that analogy is ridiculous considering Evans hasn't played a down in the NFL.

After watching Quick in camp and what I had seen of his college play compared to the games and highlights I have watched of Evans I feel Brian Quick is still a better prospect. My opinion.