Why Albert Breer left NFL Network

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/23/breer-pulls-back-curtain-on-working-for-nfl-network/

Sports leagues and sports teams now commonly hire reporters to cover their own operations. Which raises an obvious question: How can a reporter behave independently when the reporter necessarily isn’t?

Appearing Friday on 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich show, NFL Network’s Albert Breer pulled back the curtain on working directly for a sports league.

“I’ve been there five-and-a-half years and it’s a very limiting place in a lot of different ways,” said Breer, who is leaving NFL Network to join TheMMQB.com. “The rules were one way when I got there, and they’re very, very different now. And there are a lot of stories that I haven’t been able to do that I will be able to do now. . . .

“I think when I got there, there was very clearly a wall between us and the league. It was one of the first questions I asked when I left the [Boston] Globe is, ‘Am I going to be able to do the job the way that I did at the Globe?’ And the people that were there at the time said, ‘Absolutely.’ And that held true for a little while. That wall’s now gone and it’s a big reason why, probably two, three months ago, I just decided we’re going to stop talking to them and we’re going to find somewhere else to go. I’m glad I found a really, really, really good place to go and hopefully we can do some real good stories there.”

Breer, who lives in Boston, hasn’t been able to do many stories about the Patriots since the “on to Cincinnati” press conference, where he pressed coach Bill Belichickon whether he has provided enough assistance to quarterback Tom Brady, which in turn helped cement the mantra.

After that press conference, NFL Network yanked Breer off the Patriots’ beat. He told Toucher & Rich that this doubled his travel burden. (That, in turn, resulted in needless travel expenses for NFL Network.)

“[Y]ou’re taught for all these years to challenge people, and that’s your job and everything else,” Breer said. “I think you guys got a first-hand look at what happened when I started challenging people. Over the last year-and-a-half, I don’t think that’s any secret. . . . I don’t think they can stop me now. I don’t know.”

The only way to stop him now would be for the league or the Patriots to refuse to credential him to attend press conferences or games, which would be shocking if it happened. But when Breer worked directly for the league and its 32 teams, the easy way to stop him was to simply not assign him to cover the team that resides down the street from where he is.

So where does this leave NFL Network, NFL.com, and the rest of the NFL Media conglomerate? On the surface, it may cause some to become defensive, chastising anyone who points out the problem. Some may act unfazed, repeating with a shrug the common explanation that everyone has someone to answer to. Some may try both approaches. However, at a deeper level, Breer is doing his soon-to-be (perhaps even sooner-to-be) former colleagues a huge favor.

By telling the truth about what goes on, maybe things will change. The practice of sports leagues and sports teams hiring reporters who cover those leagues and teams won’t be going away. But if folks like Breer are willing to point out how the inherent lack of independence actually manifests itself, maybe sports leagues and sports teams will work harder to ensure that a true firewall exists between the reporting arm and the business arm of the overall enterprise.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So, in otherwords Breer probably has had dirt on the Patriots for years that was always squashed by the league and was only allowed to tell a smidge of the truth.

Breer should have known that if you work for the league then you are going to be restricted. Common sense IMO.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm glad he left and I really hope he does challenge, because as he notes, there is tremendous disincentive to challenge. This is one of many reasons why sports reporters are by and large as a media essentially worthless.

I think the critique of the piece misses, tho. It's one guy leaving. I dunno that there's any pressure to change anything and still the tremendous pressures to "protect the shield" and reinforce the brand while controlling the media.

Sports media is in a tremendously powerful position to negotiate because it's in a position to challenge, but rather has chosen to be codependent.

Thus, every major scandal isn't outed by the media, it's covered by a shocked media. And if the media does uncover it, it's investigative or outside media that finds it, NOT sports media that should be in a position to find it and report it.

Good luck to Albert Breer.

Peter King, for all his faults, looks to be establishing a nice portal over at TheMMQB.

I think when Bill Simmons puts his deal, The Ringer together, that will be another interesting hub.

Other than looking at scores and for press releases, I find ESPN and NFL.com essentially worthless with the exception for the occasional long form pieces that ESPN will do.

Ram65

Legend
Besides the Patsie being in the middle of the article Breer this shows how controlling the NFL has become.

Breer, who lives in Boston, hasn’t been able to do many stories about the Patriots since the “on to Cincinnati” press conference, where he pressed coach Bill Belichickon whether he has provided enough assistance to quarterback Tom Brady, which in turn helped cement the mantra.

After that press conference, NFL Network yanked Breer off the Patriots’ beat. He told Toucher & Rich that this doubled his travel burden. (That, in turn, resulted in needless travel expenses for NFL Network.)

Sounds like a legitimate question to me. I guess this what they are referring to.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Besides the Patsie being in the middle of the article Breer this shows how controlling the NFL has become.

Sounds like a legitimate question to me. I guess this what they are referring to.

He's such a prick.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He's such a prick.
I'd like to see that prick without Tom Brady for the last decade. I would like nothing more than for Brady to retire, then watch Billicheat go through the QB shuffle for the next few years before getting canned.
I'm not saying he's a terrible coach. None of the good coaches look good with bad QB's.
He wasn't such a genius in Cleveland.

I also hated the fact that he through Brady under the bus during deflate-gate. (Not that I like Brady.I don't.)
"You'll have to ask Tom about the balls". He stated.
I don't believe for one minute, that ANYTHING goes on with that team, that that cheating bastard doesn't approve or know about.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I used to live a few blocks from the Culver City office. My kid's elementary school was literally right across the street from the NFL Network building.

It's the most non-descript white stucco building you've ever seen and it's easy to miss because it's next to a very beautiful mosque with white and striking deep blue tiles. Next to that, you'd miss it unless you knew what you were looking for.