Who's our salary cap guru ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
So who's our salary cap guy here on the site ? Reason I ask because I'm wondering how much we have to play with next year..no first round pick should open up some money for others but I know britt quick and tru are all free agents after the season .

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Without any cap increase we're looking right now at about $40 million in cap space. Of that the rookie draft class will be deducted which without a 1st will be lower say about $3.5-4.0 million taking us down to $36 million. The following are free agents with their current salaries:

upload_2016-10-17_18-59-7.png

Now if we resign Trumaine through Zuerlein on that list without any increases that'll take up roughly $28.6 million leaving us about $7.4 million. As @flv mentioned we need to get working on Aaron Donald and an extension we also will likely need to get working on Alec Ogletree(he'll be on his 5th year option if we exercise it) and an extension. Greg Robinson will also be on his 4th year of his rookie deal and a decision will be need to be made on him. Looking at our roster some possible roster cuts could include:

Greg Robinson due $6.8 million in 2017 Nevermind
Eugene Sims due $3.5 million ($500k a roster bonus 5th day of league year that could be avoided only $750k of this years contract is guaranteed).
Tim Barnes $3 million ($750k roster bonus 3rd day of league year no guaranteed).
Tre Mason will need to be handled he's not counting vs the cap this year because of his situation but not sure how long they can work that. He would save $750k if cut and have only $160k dead money.

Just some options I'm not endorsing resigning any of those players (nor suggesting we'd get them for the same $ amount. I'm also not suggesting we cut those guys I listed they're just some options as I look at the roster.

Last edited:

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
As it stands we have about $40 mil to play with with before any signings. Tru will probably take a cap hit similar to this years franchise tag numbers (No that won't be the average but Demoff front loads contracts) if we keep him. So that would bring us to $26 mil.

Britt and Quick really depend on their performance but Britt in particular could start costing lower tier #1 receiver money if he eclipses 1,000 yards this year. He's at 492 so we shall see. Quick shouldn't be too much unless he starts to really turn it on. Both are tough to guess costs right now, particularly because we may do some unexpected cap magic. All told it may be hard to justify paying both of these guys because I think Britt takes $7mil a year and Quick will look at the $4-5 range.

So that would take us to $14 mil. I'd subtract $2-3 mil for draft signings. With that we still would want to keep Zuerlein, Benny, and TJ. I don't think we keep Case on this team next year.

The rest of that needs to be used for Donald and Tree's extensions. Donald is becoming the highest paid linemen no doubt. That will probably average to $20 mil a year or even more. It could structure in a way to make the first year hit at $12 mil (just my guess). And Ogletree will probably want $8mil a year.

I know the numbers don't seem to add up, but there are other details that can make all that fit (cuts, restructures, and the structures of all these deals.) Though it will be hard to keep TJ, Britt, and Quick. I'm willing to bet someone get offered more money like Jenkins did.

Long story short, we are pretty tight if free agents are what you are after. And thats if Fisher is still around. If Fisher is canned, Britt probably walks, Quick and TJ are probably not pursued at all and some random guys get cut. If we fire Fisher we may see some splashes in FA. But status quo staying the way it is we are looking at a FA just like this last offseason.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very true I'd forgotten about that with the last cba.