Who's more impressive, Clowney or Donald?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Sport is entertainment for us fans, and for whatever reason I just like Donald better or I guess I should say I like the Donald that the press portrays better than the Clowney they portray. I'm glad he's a Ram instead of Clowney.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Because he is a Ram; Donald is BY FAR the superior player. :sneaky:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Both have the potential to be amazing, no question about that. Me being a homer.... I'll take Donald any day and ALL day on Sunday. I just see him as an absolute nightmare in this defense. I think he has that rare strength and agility to be a major factor against the run and the pass. Total package at DT IMO. Not at all worried about his size.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Because he is a Ram; Donald is BY FAR the superior player. :sneaky:
Your only as good as your last season , and Donald had a far better one,so until he proves he's better than last season it's no damned contest Clowney isn't even the second best lineman in that draft.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sport is entertainment for us fans, and for whatever reason I just like Donald better or I guess I should say I like the Donald that the press portrays better than the Clowney they portray. I'm glad he's a Ram instead of Clowney.
Very good point. I like the way you worded that. Its easy to forget none of us ACTUALLY know anything about these guys off the field merely what we see on tv

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Clowney will be great, but if Donald has Quinn and Long, that helps him a lot....and Greg Williams and Waufle will be big helps for him....I don't know who coacheas Clowney...Ya, JJ Watt will help Clowney,too;)

Allso Donald is a penetrator, and the Rams had the #1 D in stops behind the line....they seem to be ok with some big runs, as long as they can also have a lot of 2nd and 12....3rd and 15's

bluesjoc

Long time poster,First time reader
Name
Jeff
He didn't. Truth is if Clowney wanted to take the year off, he could have and he still would have went #1 if he stayed in shape.

Clowney didn't take the year off. There were some series where his effort was questionable during the year...but the same has been true of many other great DEs in college.

People are too drawn in by sacks and stats. I watched every single game he played in 2013 at least once. He didn't take the year off. Trust me on that.

Waited until right before kick off to say anything? Wow!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Let me put it this way - If I had to choose what we did in the draft, taking Robinson and Donald, vs. a hypothetical draft with Clowney and another OL (e.g., Martin), I think I like what we actually did better for both the short and long term prospects of this team. Donald both filled a need and strengthened a unit that was already strong. Clowney most certainly would have been an asset, but he would have created a logjam at DE and forced the Rams to move someone inside who is not naturally an inside guy, and probably then only on passing downs.

Don't get me wrong, I think Clowney is an elite talent and if he plays to his potential will perennially be one of the top players in the game at his position. But I think we can say the same about Donald, and he was IMO a better fit for where this team is at right now.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Waited until right before kick off to say anything? Wow!

Yeah well he's got $14 million coming to him if he never plays a down as of yesterday,I've doubted the guys heart all along ,I'm glad he isn't a Ram and AD is ,IMO the reputation for being a slacker is one that once established is hard to shake.
I'd much rather be known for my effort than my talent,don't get me wrong having talent is the shit, but the "world is full of talented derelicts " .
I like our guy.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Let me put it this way - If I had to choose what we did in the draft, taking Robinson and Donald, vs. a hypothetical draft with Clowney and another OL (e.g., Martin), I think I like what we actually did better for both the short and long term prospects of this team. Donald both filled a need and strengthened a unit that was already strong. Clowney most certainly would have been an asset, but he would have created a logjam at DE and forced the Rams to move someone inside who is not naturally an inside guy, and probably then only on passing downs.

Don't get me wrong, I think Clowney is an elite talent and if he plays to his potential will perennially be one of the top players in the game at his position. But I think we can say the same about Donald, and he was IMO a better fit for where this team is at right now.
Yeah really would there have been any rational behind drafting Michael Sam if we'd drafted Clowney:whistle:?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yeah really would there have been any rational behind drafting Michael Sam if we'd drafted Clowney:whistle:?

There would have been less football-related rationale for taking him in that scenario.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
There would have been less football-related rationale for taking him in that scenario.
I've made my opinion very clear on this, I think it was an admirable gesture to draft him that was decided by our teams owner and executed by a pretty amazing HC.
But the spin I keep getting about the guys talent on the heels of it I just don't buy, if Mike Sam had been as highly rated on draft boards as people are pretending it's a damned prime fascia case every other team in this league is either afraid of the pub or afraid of the effects on the locker room and I just don't buy it. If he was that good we just wouldn't have been able to get him where we did, I would submit he was probably the most analyzed player outside the first round in this draft.
He wasn't a draft able player according to most real, football non media analysts just wasn't ,the rest of the teams in this league aren't afraid ,maybe a few, but he just isn't that good ,GREAT college players playing week after week against guys who will never be NFL starters can be dominant but not be good pro prospects. Sam was an awesome college player he's got a long uphill challenge to earn a roster spot and possibly on the worst possible team for him to achieve it.

I wish him every good thing life has to offer,but I ain't pretending I think he's better'n he is,I think some people are.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I've made my opinion very clear on this, I think it was an admirable gesture to draft him that was decided by our teams owner and executed by a pretty amazing HC.
But the spin I keep getting about the guys talent on the heels of it I just don't buy, if Mike Sam had been as highly rated on draft boards as people are pretending it's a damned prime fascia case every other team in this league is either afraid of the pub or afraid of the effects on the locker room and I just don't buy it. If he was that good we just wouldn't have been able to get him where we did, I would submit he was probably the most analyzed player outside the first round in this draft.
He wasn't a draft able player according to most real, football non media analysts just wasn't ,the rest of the teams in this league aren't afraid ,maybe a few, but he just isn't that good ,GREAT college players playing week after week against guys who will never be NFL starters can be dominant but not be good pro prospects. Sam was an awesome college player he's got a long uphill challenge to earn a roster spot and possibly on the worst possible team for him to achieve it.

I wish him every good thing life has to offer,but I ain't pretending I think he's better'n he is,I think some people are.

I think people are rooting for him because of who he is and what he represents, and perhaps that makes them overvalue him. I think he was good value in the draft for *where* he was taken, but nevertheless, he's a long shot to make the Rams given their depth at his position. I think at best Michael Sam is a backup in the NFL irrespective of what team he's on.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I think people are rooting for him because of who he is and what he represents, and perhaps that makes them overvalue him. I think he was good value in the draft for *where* he was taken, but nevertheless, he's a long shot to make the Rams given their depth at his position. I think at best Michael Sam is a backup in the NFL irrespective of what team he's on.
Dunno,I think there are teams that play a three four that could make him an inside backer and his effort could overcome his physical limitations,but when I look at the guy and asses his body lean/fat composition vs. someone like Quinn I think he'd have to weigh 245 to be as lean as Quinn and that's pretty light especially for a guy no faster than he is.
WEither way, I think we give him a year on the practice squad to see if he can bulk and earn a spot for all the reasons I have previously stated, and I HAVE NO problem with it, I'm just not pretending I buy the spin.
BTW I'm happier to have him than I would be having Clowney ,from that metric I think Sam is a much better value.

paceram

Pro Bowler
First, Hi everybody! Thanks for the warm welcome. Now, who do you think is the most impressive defensive player between Clowney and Donald? Sure, Clowney made the big hit on a smaller guy and knocked his helmet off and made a big impression. No more of a great hit than Janoris made on that poor reciever ( of similar size) that he knocked the snot out of. Seen these type of hits many many times. Now how about Donald bursting through the line and tackleing the running back and the quarterback at the same time and bringing them down on the spot. Can't say I've ever seen that before and won't hold my breath hopeing to see it again. A total beast!!! And I'm not even going to get into the intangibles. Ever see Donald give up on a double team against him? Ever hear anything bad about him at all? Work ehic? Sure, I'm a homer, but the choice is clear to me. How about you?

I hate to admit that I was very disappointed that Clowney did not fall to the Rams at their #2 spot but I will also say that I was very shocked and thrilled to see Donald still there when the Rams picked at #13 (I was holding my breath/keeping my fingers crossed and everything else hoping the Rams would not pass on him!!!)! I also think Donald will end up being a much better fit for the Rams Defense than Clowney would be BUT I will also say that I am very happy that Clowney is in the AFC and not on the 49's, Seahawks or Cardinals!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I will also say that I am very happy that Clowney is in the AFC and not on the 49's, Seahawks or Cardinals!
Got that right. Whenever I try to grade how good a player is, I always picture having to play against them.
That would be nightmarish. Even for Jake Long.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
I'm with Stu and Burger Man on this. Donald is wearing horns and Clowney isn't. Therefore, Donald is superior. End of story.

GO RAMS!!!!