Who's more impressive, Clowney or Donald?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
First, Hi everybody! Thanks for the warm welcome. Now, who do you think is the most impressive defensive player between Clowney and Donald? Sure, Clowney made the big hit on a smaller guy and knocked his helmet off and made a big impression. No more of a great hit than Janoris made on that poor reciever ( of similar size) that he knocked the snot out of. Seen these type of hits many many times. Now how about Donald bursting through the line and tackleing the running back and the quarterback at the same time and bringing them down on the spot. Can't say I've ever seen that before and won't hold my breath hopeing to see it again. A total beast!!! And I'm not even going to get into the intangibles. Ever see Donald give up on a double team against him? Ever hear anything bad about him at all? Work ehic? Sure, I'm a homer, but the choice is clear to me. How about you?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Need to give this some time to play out. I think very highly of both guys, and actually think donald is going to be a perennial pro bowler for us. But, if clowney keeps his head on straight he has the potential to be one of the all time greats. So, really tough call.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Donald was going to get more opportunities and was the better fit all along, which is why i scoffed at bringing in Clowney #2.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Need to give this some time to play out. I think very highly of both guys, and actually think donald is going to be a perennial pro bowler for us. But, if clowney keeps his head on straight he has the potential to be one of the all time greats. So, really tough call.

I'm with NJ. It's gonna have to play out.

I have warmed to the idea that Donald could be the better choice for the Rams. The run game is paramount for 2014 success. Donald is a beast. BEAST. We stole him at 13. Complete robbery IMHO. With Quinn and long, while I would still like to see Clowney on the line, Donald makes sense at that value.

If I had thought Donald would fall, I wouldn't have drafted Clowney had he been there but traded down I think and STILL grabbed Robinson who I think we over-drafted somewhat.

However, Clowney may be the next coming. Dude is amazing. If he had come to the Rams with this coaching and talent surrounding him... man.

As many said before the draft, the Rams couldn't go wrong with the depth of talent and 2 high picks, but Donald falling was probably the gift that will keep on giving.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Donald was going to get more opportunities and was the better fit all along, which is why i scoffed at bringing in Clowney #2.

Yeah, but I don't think anyone expected Rams could get Donald at 13. Snisher sure didn't. If Clowney was there at 2, I would bet my last ROD dollar Rams would have happily snapped him up.

To me, it speaks volumes that Houston didn't trade out as much as they suck.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The BIG question to me is this:

IF Rams took Clowney at 2, AND Donald falls to 13, what then?

Me, I'm taking both. That is the makings of a pass rush for the ages. Can anyone say 100+ sacks?

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I defer to your judgements. You guys blow me away with your football knowledge. But Clowney still bothers me as a person. If he took off his last year ( number of sacks, which I realize he was schemed against) for his own fortune and left the team second, I don't want him watching my back. Never meeting or knowing the two, give me Donald. Just one of my opinions that won't make sense. More to come.

RamsFan14

Starter
I feel like if Clowney was a Ram and this question came up, people would be saying Clowney all the way. Donald seems like a great prospect and his potential seems great, however I think Clowney is the complete package. Both aren't perfect prospects, I just think Clowney is closer to that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donald and Clowney are both elite talents. But I gotta go Clowney.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah, but I don't think anyone expected Rams could get Donald at 13. Snisher sure didn't. If Clowney was there at 2, I would bet my last ROD dollar Rams would have happily snapped him up.

To me, it speaks volumes that Houston didn't trade out as much as they suck.
Yeah they very well might have taken Clowney at #2. Hard to say really.
Not me. I wouldn't have picked a guy at #2 who would have come in and been the 4th DE.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I defer to your judgements. You guys blow me away with your football knowledge. But Clowney still bothers me as a person. If he took off his last year ( number of sacks, which I realize he was schemed against) for his own fortune and left the team second, I don't want him watching my back. Never meeting or knowing the two, give me Donald. Just one of my opinions that won't make sense. More to come.

They blow me away too. I'm not a master at the game like some of these guys. I watched whole games of Clowney and he was often triple and even quadruple teamed. They can't do that against the Rams with Quinn, Long, and crew.

I'm going with Donald because of perceived value at 13. I'm very excited about him.

SierraRam

Recreational User
The BIG question to me is this:

IF Rams took Clowney at 2, AND Donald falls to 13, what then?

Me, I'm taking both. That is the makings of a pass rush for the ages. Can anyone say 100+ sacks?

It sounds like we would have taken Martin at 13 in that scenario. Like NJRamsFan said, "really tough call" at this point, but I'm very happy with how it worked out. We drafted the two hightest rated OL and DL in many experts opinions. And in my very humble opinion, too.

images
Our Guys!

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
Donald and Clowney are both elite talents. But I gotta go Clowney.
Clowney is a superior physical specimen who will be a factor in any team's game plan as rookie. In terms of long term prospects Donald will have a chance to be just as a factor and playing inside, should have a potentially longer time at his peak.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He didn't. Truth is if Clowney wanted to take the year off, he could have and he still would have went #1 if he stayed in shape.

Clowney didn't take the year off. There were some series where his effort was questionable during the year...but the same has been true of many other great DEs in college.

People are too drawn in by sacks and stats. I watched every single game he played in 2013 at least once. He didn't take the year off. Trust me on that.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
My point exactly, but, I'm of the opinion that the complete package includes more of the off field performance in the final equaltion. This subject is enough for other threads. We've seen what some great players ( Arz. Linebacker ) have done without that other part of the complete package. Just saying, I love the heart of the game so many of our players have now. We have bombs waiting to go off, sure. What team doesn't? But damn, aint it better than five years ago?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yeah they very well might have taken Clowney at #2. Hard to say really.
Not me. I wouldn't have picked a guy at #2 who would have come in and been the 4th DE.

Assuming that Williams couldn't find a way to keep them all on the field. No way he would be 4th. 3rd at worse I think.

"An innocent bystander watching practice with a trained football eye wouldn't ever know that No. 1 pick
Jadeveon Clowney had never taken a snap against NFL veterans. His athleticism pops but his ability to change direction is off the charts.

He does need to learn a few pet pass-rush moves but with no contact allowed until training camp, he’ll have to be a quick study in late July/early August. It’s a mouthful but after seeing him drop, rush and play the run, he should be one of defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel’s key chess pieces this season."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My point exactly, but, I'm of the opinion that the complete package includes more of the off field performance in the final equaltion. This subject is enough for other threads. We've seen what some great players ( Arz. Linebacker ) have done without that other part of the complete package. Just saying, I love the heart of the game so many of our players have now. We have bombs waiting to go off, sure. What team doesn't? But damn, aint it better than five years ago?

Off the field isn't really an issue. Worst thing you can say about him is that he got a couple of speeding tickets and that he smoked some in college...but pretty much all the SC athletes do that.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
Sorry Jeery, didn't mean it was a reply to you. I'M SO DAMN SLOW TYPING1 I'll learn. Just like our players. I meant to respond to Rams Fan14. I'll shut up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry Jeery, didn't mean it was a reply to you. I'M SO DAMN SLOW TYPING1 I'll learn. Just like our players. I meant to respond to Rams Fan14. I'll shut up.

It's all good, my friend. If you hit reply on the bottom right corner of the post, it'll pull up the quote you're responding to. :)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm going with the guy wearing horns. Hopefully they'll prove me right when they take the field in the pros. But it's a pretty hard call. From everything I've seen, Clowney has the edge but like I said, he ain't wearin' horns so 'I'm leaning toward Donald.