Who's gonna be the backup QB .... and why.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

2013 backup QB will be...

• Kellen Clemens

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Austin Davis

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Bring in someone else

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Opinions appear to be split on this one, so I figured I'd see what the percentages are. Who do you like as backup QB going into the season, and give a quick response as to your reasoning behind your decision. It's quite possible that our next home game against GB might change some answers, but for now .... ?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It's gonna be Kellen Clemons. Even though I'm in favor of bringing in someone else.

nighttrain

Legend
I picked Davis, but that is mostly based on projection, Clemons has none. Davis, if nothing else is mobile
train

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I voted Clemens because of experience in the league and not much else other than he has more familiarity with Schotty. Bringing someone else in at this point would probably be for 3rd string until later in the season anyways.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I feel at this time, Clemens has a better understanding of how to get the job done. Admittedly, he is unorthodox in the HOW,. but he always seems to find a way to make a play.

Davis may indeed develop, and while I agree, may have more "upside", he doesn't look like the same guy who "won" a job last year. IF he would have played the way he has played in camp THIS YEAR, he would never have made it out of training camp LAST YEAR.

Cause for concern for me, has been his lack of accuracy. The indecisiveness is just from inexperience, but when he does make up his mind to throw the ball, he misses on more throws than he connects on.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Clemens. As much as I'm hoping for Davis, I think experience trumps here. Given how young the team is everywhere else, doesn't hurt to have experience at the helm should SB get hurt. And really, Austin hasn't looked as good this year (so far as Coach pointed out)

Iron Lion

Starter
I asked some former QB who played for the Browns and he thinks it will be Austin Davis.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Iron Lion said:
I asked some former QB who played for the Browns and he thinks it will be Austin Davis.
Was he drinking at the time?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I don't "like" Clemens to be our 2nd QB but I expect him to be. As mentioned by others the experience factor is huge but it seems that he is greatly out playing Davis as well. It appears that next year is the time to draft a developmental back up QB.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Lets bring in Keith Null to compete for starter :bg:

Kidding aside, I want it to be Davis.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Last year we cut Clemens so we could bring him back with a contract that was no longer guaranteed.

I wouldn't be surprised if we repeated that this year... so I'm predicting Davis for at least the first game. Maybe Clemens will reclaim it in game 2.

I certainly hope neither one of them have to be counted on to lead us on scoring drives.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I'll reserve my judgement for the next few weeks. Nobody has run away with the job yet, even though I thought Davis would. As many have said Davis has more upside, whereas Clemens has maxed out his potential. I know it was nearly 2 years ago, but I thought Clemens played decently filling in for Sam the last 3 games of 2011, albeit on a different team and coaching staff. Just saying, he was one if the reasons those games were close; we played PIT, CIN, and SF tough for a 2-14 team. Btw he played better than any Rams backup QB since Fitz

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Most teams are pretty much screwed when their QB goes down anyway, so I'm leaning towards letting Austin take the #2 role and letting him learn the hard way. It's been a lonnnnng time since the Rams groomed a backup as a legit #2 option. We've usually just had stopgaps at the position, and we can't continue to do that. At some point we need a viable option. There's also the option of trading our #2 to a very needy team, so that's another reason why I feel Austin should be groomed.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
Most teams are pretty much screwed when their QB goes down anyway, so I'm leaning towards letting Austin take the #2 role and letting him learn the hard way. It's been a lonnnnng time since the Rams groomed a backup as a legit #2 option. We've usually just had stopgaps at the position, and we can't continue to do that. At some point we need a viable option. There's also the option of trading our #2 to a very needy team, so that's another reason why I feel Austin should be groomed.

:plus1: yup!!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I voted for Clemens, but I'd like to bring someone in who has a chance to be the long term answer to grow old behind Sam. I haven't seen, or heard of the improvement that I was hoping for in Austin Davis, but obviously the staff knows more of where he is than I do, or any of us for that matter.

I think Clemens gives us a better chance to win if Sam has a family emergency, and can't play one game. That one game might mean the playoffs for us, and I want to get in there.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I picked Davis because someone forgot to put Hekker's name as a choice. :ragin:

Milamber11

UDFA
Name
George
Clemens for me, just rate him a better QB and can play a decent role (god forbid) if Sam goes down

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Clemons ONLY because he will KNOW the play when it's sent in.Really looking across the league few teams are really much better off, Kurt Warner is a once in a lifetime thing, sure there have been others CLOSE . But I wish the dropoff wasn't quite as drastic.
After seeing him in practice yesterday,knowing he's been in our system over a year now I have little confidence in Austin Davis, Clemons is way better even if he won't stay in the pocket.

Speaking of practice , JESUS Sam can spin the ball,it's just almost breath taking, God only makes a select few arms like his, Carson Palmer is the closest to Sam in the division.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
Clemons is way better even if he won't stay in the pocket.
Chances are that Clemens would be inserted because the pocket wasn't worth staying in anyway. :ww: