Who Wins these Dallas matchups?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
TruJ looked horrible in coverage against Pierre Garçon but he effectively took T.Y. Hilton out of the game. Which TruJ are we going to see?

Depends on the pressure up front. Tru is a #2 CB on a playoff defense and since Janoris left and the Rams have depended on him to matchup with the opponent's top wideout he's been up and down accordingly. Just not consistent enough to be a shutdown guy. So he's probably going to require a hurried QB in order to lock Dez down.

More concerning is that Dak has really good feet wrt the rush and you gotta set the edge on him and contain. Can the Rams' front do that? They've been terrible in that thus far this year so meh.

Best case scenario IMO is that we win a shootout. Just don't see our defense rebounding this week. Hope they're better of course, but Dallas is a real playoff-level offense and they're drawing our defense at a good time.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/da...-can-flat-successful-without-dez-bryant-field

Former NFL WR: The Cowboys can 'flat out be successful' without Dez Bryant on the field

1506486062-NS_10COWBOYSGIANTS50_58742248.JPG

Tom Fox/Staff Photographer

Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant (88) is pictured during pregame warmups before the New York Giants game at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, Sunday, September 10, 2017. (Tom Fox/The Dallas Morning News)

By SportsDayDFW.com Contact SportsDayDFW.com on Twitter: @SportsDayDFW

Is Dez Bryant one of the NFL's elite wide receivers?

The WR finds that question to be funny, but it has been asked more frequently since the wideout signed a five-year, $70 million deal in 2015 thanks to injuries and numbers that aren't as high as they once were.

Former Packers and Vikings receiver Greg Jennings recently said on The Herd that he's jumped off the Bryant bandwagon.

He says why below in the video and the transcript.

Greg Jennings: When you look at what the Dallas Cowboys do, they can do it without 88 [Dez]. They can flat out be successful without 88 out there.

The reason why I've completely jumped off the Dez Bryant train, if you will, is simply his suddenness is not present. I don't see him being sudden off the line of scrimmage. He doesn't create separation.

Colin Cowherd: None.

Greg Jennings: And he doesn't even use release moves off the line.

Colin Cowherd: Now explain that to me.

Greg Jennings: What I mean by that is just simple hand swipes, getting skinny. He just exposes his chest which is an absolute no-no when you're a receiver.

Colin Cowherd: So his details are awful?

Greg Jennings: His details, they're nonexistent. They're nonexistent.

So when we look at last year and everyone was pointing at Dak Prescott saying, 'Well what's up with Dez? Why aren't you getting Dez the ball?' And he's like, 'Look, I'll get the ball to him if he's open. I'll get the ball to anybody who is open.'

I watched [Monday] night. Dez Bryant creates zero separation.

Colin Cowherd: He's just a guy.

Greg Jennings: He's a guy. Now, with the ball in his hand ...

Colin Cowherd: He's a big body.

Greg Jennings: ... he's a big body. He can do some special things. But as a skill position guy and being one of the higher paid guys at that position, nope. Done.

---

Jennings is hardly the first to question Bryant's status as an elite wide receiver. When Josh Norman was with the Panthers, he said the Cowboys needed a refund on the wideout's contract after holding him to two catches for 26 yards on Thanksgiving.

Former Cowboys CB Deion Sanders recently called Dez one of the best receivers in the game, but he doesn't measure up against prime defensive backs.

"And the last few times that Dez has gone against a real, pure, dominant corner," Sanders said, "they haven't gotten the ball to him or he hasn't made his catches or he hasn't had productivity...

"I don't know where the inconsistency with he and Dak [Prescott is] but you don't see this with Antonio Brown. You don't see this with Julio [Jones]..."

Here are how Dez's stats compare to before and after he signed his extension.

Before extension Dez Bryant After extension*
5 Seasons played 2*
75 (80) Games played (Possible games) 25 (35)
381 Receptions 92
5,424 Yards 1,311
3 1,000-yard seasons 0
56 TDs 13
*Through two seasons and three games this year

Those look pretty lopsided, but that's because of the five seasons before the extension compared to the two-plus since.

Here's a breakdown of his last 25 games before the extension, which equals the amount of games he's played since inking that $70 million deal.

Before extension Dez Bryant After extension
25 Games played 25
139 Receptions 92
1,984 Yards 1,311
23 TDs 13

So...is Dez still an elite receiver?

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Some of you guys and your obsession over player contracts/paychecks....

:) Do you guys do that at your workplace too? "Well Bob makes twice as much as Bill but he doesn't produce twice as much so he's overpaid." Lol
Well, we should ;)
Yes, paying TruJo $16 mill keeps us from paying people that we should. I love Tavon on our team at 2.5 million (not 10+ mill) based on his RB/WR production. THe whole league is built on staying within the cap parameters....so, yep money ball started in 1995 or so--and it is here to stay.

I Like Tru Jo as a football player, just not as a guy trying to chase guys who run 4.4s and can cut on a dime.....so, FS in the future would be nice...CB in man a mano for 60+ plays, no way....even man off doesn't work (Gee garcon)

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Some of you guys and your obsession over player contracts/paychecks....

:) Do you guys do that at your workplace too? "Well Bob makes twice as much as Bill but he doesn't produce twice as much so he's overpaid." Lol

Actually yes, usually people who get paid more should get better results.... It's 1st or last mentality, especially in sports.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Well, we should ;)
Yes, paying TruJo $16 mill keeps us from paying people that we should. I love Tavon on our team at 2.5 million (not 10+ mill) based on his RB/WR production. THe whole league is built on staying within the cap parameters....so, yep money ball started in 1995 or so--and it is here to stay.

I Like Tru Jo as a football player, just not as a guy trying to chase guys who run 4.4s and can cut on a dime.....so, FS in the future would be nice...CB in man a mano for 60+ plays, no way....even man off doesn't work (Gee garcon)

Agreed, Tru had a hard time hanging with Garcon, he's also had problems covering gritty WR's in the past as well. Boldin has had his way with Tru a number of times.
In Tru's defense he did cover a burnt out Megatron in Detroit a couple of years ago, so there's that lol.

IMO i don't think Tru is that great of a cover corner, He's ok in Zone but he's no shut down corner.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Depends on the pressure up front. Tru is a #2 CB on a playoff defense and since Janoris left and the Rams have depended on him to matchup with the opponent's top wideout he's been up and down accordingly. Just not consistent enough to be a shutdown guy. So he's probably going to require a hurried QB in order to lock Dez down.

More concerning is that Dak has really good feet wrt the rush and you gotta set the edge on him and contain. Can the Rams' front do that? They've been terrible in that thus far this year so meh.

Best case scenario IMO is that we win a shootout. Just don't see our defense rebounding this week. Hope they're better of course, but Dallas is a real playoff-level offense and they're drawing our defense at a good time.

I completely agree, odds point to a shootout. Zack Martin matchs up well with Donald and I don't have much faith in the rest of the defensive front generating pressure on this top tier o-line or holding contain. If they get their rushing attack going, we will be forced to devote more guys to the box and leave TruJ in man coverage on Dez. (Advantage Dez)

On the flip side, if we can block Lawrence, we could be the more dangerous offensive team. Their secondary is in shambles right now.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Overall, this might be the 'funnest' Rams matchup to consider since 2001 vs NY Giants.....and that was a 15-14 game?
We have beaten some very good teams in the last 13 non-playoff years, but it wasn't because we were so talented on offense---in those games, maybe some things just turned our way--or the other team was expecting the 3-13 Rams and we punched them hard and early. HOWEVER, NOW, we are talking about teams that might not be able to match up with our offense! That is worthy of some 'matchup' conversation....I will save the Rams offense for last...

DALLAS O vs RAMS D:
Donald vs Dallas LG (not Martin)
Donald not against Martin is what Wade wants to do...and Wade knows that. Donald can be shifted to the LG side very easily. Brockers did pretty well, if I remember, against Dallas' line in our 2014 matchup.

Brockers vs Fredrik and RG/LG
This is a like the old LSU days for Brockers....this is why Fish drafted him. If he is healthy, he will dominate against the run. He is also a lot quicker than he has been the last few years; I think he weighs less (listed at 302 vs 325). The double teams will still get him, and we will be gashed, but they will not consistently move him out of the way. He is my favorite player on defense right.

Quinn vs Smith (LT)
Quinn will be erased. Even when he was pro bowl level he didn't match up aginst this guy.
Maybe we can get some chase down sacks with #50 (Ebukam) from the other side.

I wonder what kind of pass rush we will have from these three. Donald is great, but he can be doubled. It was Quinn that made people step up in the pocket....can he make Dak step up.

Dak vs our pass rush
Dak looks grat moving around, and it doesn't seem to bother his accuracy very much. Very impressive.
Though his timing and coordination with his WRs doesn't look so amazing. ( you can't see this form stats, you gotta see all his throws). I think we have to blitz to put pressure on Dak or he will eat us up with our mediocre CB play.

Zeke vs our LBs:
Well, we have Barron who is paid $9mill to erase guys like Zeke, and Barron when he is on is an amazing hunter. I think he and ALec will be on a mission...will we win, most of the time, maybe, no. But, if you look at 21 of Hyde's runs we did great, right....so, maybe.

TruJo vs any Dallas WR:
I don't know....hmmm, this might be his biggest game of the year....i get that feeling that he will step up, but he isn't SO talented that he can just handle Dez all alone....and I think Wade knows that.

RAMS O vs DALLAS D:
McVay knows Dallas D from the last two years. If you see the 2nd game, he was throwing aggressively out of the gate---maybe knowing they were the inferior team. WRs were opene every play the first quarter, and then everthing just shut down until the late 3rd quarter. The difference is McVay has Gurely---and that balance will keep Dallas guessing. Because of Dallas' offensive line, I think we will be under a lot of pressure to produce, and that might make us one dimensional--I hope McVay keeps the 50/50 run pass ratio. Gurley has been pretty much pro bowl level the last 2 games.

Everett vs LB or Safety:
I think Everett will be taken out of the mothballs (thigh bruise). To be diverse, and thus always keep the D guessing, Everett will be a key to our victory; once they have to worry about him, Watkins and Woods have bigger opportunities. Dallas loves the 6 DB look, but Everett can block, too....so, on 3rd and 3, I bet we run a few times. Arizona wasn't going to do that with Arians...McVay will.

Watkins vs Scandrick:
Watkins is very good, but Scandrick isn't scared. We need to go up top to keep him afraid, to bring that safety over. IN training camp, BS (before Sammy, lol) I could just see our WRs being shutdown, but now we have a guy who beat any non-pro bowl corner consistently. And, Goff is so accrate. Hopefully Sammy is healthy for this one.

Kupp vs who?
They put 6 DBs in a lot of times; I don't know if that helps Kupp, but I wonder if they rotate back to him a bit after big games by Watkins and Wood.

Our O line vs D Lawrence and Malik (DT)
I am not really worried about Havenstein so much. When someone gets 3 sacks on MNF, it is pretty rare they come back and destroy again...this is the NFL not highschool, and Havenstein is very smart and will be ok in pass pro 80% of the passes.....Lawrence vs AZ: he destroyed Valdeer play after play--won't happen with McVay. Arians has always allowed his tackles to suffer on an island, McVay isn't that stubborn---what is Derek Carrier for, anyway?

Gurley

Can Gurley get his 80-100 yards? I think the passing game puts enough fear in to the safeties that Gurley will continue to have some good series. Goff passing 30-35 times max is good, and Gurely is the anecdote.

Goff
He seems to be 'protected' by the system, the O line and McVay very well. Is D Lawrence such a talent as to destroy our wonderful thrower?--I don't think so. Marinelli is an old timer, and so I wonder what he will have up his sleeve with blitzes. Goff seems to have handle most pretty well, but the games feel very low in intensity so far these first three games. In Dallas that will change. Goff seems to be an extremely 'cool' guy during the game, like Montana, and I think that helps him handle the duress of people coming to attack. SOme team will find a way to make Goff look like a school boy, and it might be this game....Dallas is a playoff team, and we are still learning our offense, but I won't be suprised if Goff does well because McVay kind of knows the scheme and personel.

Oveeall:
I think the Rams might have a 'divisional rivalry' type of intensity for this one that seemed missing against the Redskins and against the 49ers (except for Gurley & Brockers!!!). The Rams might play like a young team in this one and we could lose 37-13, or we could win 27-23, or we could lose 27-23. THis game will tell us about the LEVEL of our offense. I know we can be top 15, but can we be top 8-10. If our offense puts up 27 points, then I say yes, and even if we lose the game then we are going to be a good team. If we put up 13 and kind of wimper, well then, we have a lot of work to do.

I say we put up at least 23. Why? Goff, Gurley, Watkins, Woods, Kupp, Everett, Whit, Hav and Sullivan are very smart players. Those smart players also happen to play their positions very well.....you can't stop all of that. Smart people figure out a way to win. We don't have Dez on offense who is an idiot. We don't have an Adrian Peterson, who after 10 years still can't run the right patterns and play on 3rd down passing situations. We are not Kenny Britt guy anymore!!!! NO, we are very, very smart and talented. ANd, we will shine.

Taking away the fact that I am a Ram fan I will say this: we may not win, but I am convinced that if we played in Week 12 we would win....the Rams are still finding out who they are. I think we are a better "team" than Dallas----but they have playoff experience and we are still learning our systems. OUr defenses may be about even, but our O, though not as dominant Dallas can be when they run at 180 a game, is truly a better NFL offense....and time will bear that out. But, for now, do we really think Goff is the 3rd most efficient passer in the NFL. The stats say yes, but the reality is we haven't played a VERY GOOD defense AND put up 30 points.

The Score might be around 27-23, 30-27,30-23. ANd if we played ten times, we both would win 5 each. This Sunday the Rams might surprise themselves.

Last edited: