Who will be the Rams 1st key FA signing?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I am guessing Jairus Byrd (But, that is probably just wishful thinking!).

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
First: Shelley Smith

most significant: Dunbar

That's all I expect so I'm hoping to be surprised. Seeing some of those first contracts come scared the crap out of me, as well. Screw that...

We'll be dropping the big bucks over the next two years so forget this one.

RFIP

First: Shelley Smith

most significant: Dunbar

That's all I expect so I'm hoping to be surprised. Seeing some of those first contracts come scared the crap out of me, as well. Screw that...

We'll be dropping the big bucks over the next two years so forget this one.

I believe Smith is RUFA so they got him IF they want him, which I think they are luke warm to at best.

My prediction is Schwartz as they put the Saffold ordeal in the rear view.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Saffold is leaving, so I got to believe we sign a guard.

jap

Legend
They have to shore up the OL---gotta protect Sam and give Zac room to roam. I agree with CGI. They will probably grab a guard since they can get a blue chip OT in the draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams have lost 3 of their four starting OG's in 2013 to UFA'cy. The 4th Harvey Dahl who is a great guy but is in declining state health wise & performance wise for the last two seasons should have been released already. No other area is in as bad need of a HEALTHY starting player than @ OG. Rams have only Washington, Jones & Persons on the roster

Zane Beadles who has started most all games the last four NFL season for Denver. Just do it! Zane can do it all & he is only 27 yrs old.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I believe Smith is RUFA so they got him IF they want him, which I think they are luke warm to at best.

My prediction is Schwartz as they put the Saffold ordeal in the rear view.
The problem is a guy who is going to be highly ranked as a G is going to attract attention from other teams with more money. Saffold was the key to me for this offseason. He is likely gone. If the Rams sign a G someone like Jerry is more likely. A downgrade from Saffold basically.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The problem is a guy who is going to be highly ranked as a G is going to attract attention from other teams with more money. Saffold was the key to me for this offseason. He is likely gone. If the Rams sign a G someone like Jerry is more likely. A downgrade from Saffold basically.

A down grade for how many games? Saffold doesn't appear capable of 16.

fearsomefour

Legend
Beadles is solid but not great. Lacks lateral movement, struggles to trap and pull, is athletic in a straight line way. Can get beaten in the pass game with switches or delays, doesn't move quick enough to recover.
I'd take him at LG at RG might as well keep Dahl.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Beadles is solid but not great. Lacks lateral movement, struggles to trap and pull, is athletic in a straight line way. Can get beaten in the pass game with switches or delays, doesn't move quick enough to recover.
I'd take him at LG at RG might as well keep Dahl.

yes Beadles has some issues in his game however he is my top of all the available starting healthy OG's. You are correct he is best @ OLG post. What endures Beadles to me me was he was banged up bad in the SB but still played the entire game....something I give him great credit for....simular to Tom Nutten a decade or more back in style Nutten was banged up much but he usually was on the field eating donuts and protecting Warner & Bulger!

I do not see any great OG's in UFA do you? That's why i just prefer to draft some top talented drafted OG's @ the right price.

You resign veteran Chris Williams to go with all the young OG's. Tim Barnes now having 4 1/2 starts under his belt has endured four TC's & pre seasons has enough time in to be in the fight with Williams early. Brandon Washington will also enter his 3rd NFL TC & pre season. Brandon Washington could be a surprise candidate @ OLG early in camp too. You add in Persons who has been in 3 TC's & preseasons too so they could blend in well with the a couple of talented rookies.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
A down grade for how many games? Saffold doesn't appear capable of 16.
True.
That is a risk with any signing. So the question then becomes where is the value?
A guy like Williams come cheap for a starter and stays healthy but is limited skill wise. Is that more of a value because he is on the field?
I would rather try to field a competitive team but your point is a great one. It is something every team will consider with Saffold. The lack of lineman with his skill set will override the concerns for someone.
So assuming he is gone the only place I see a possible upgrade is the crap shoot of the draft. Not excited about multiple rookies starting on the line.

fearsomefour

Legend
yes Beadles has some issues in his game however he is my top of all the available starting healthy OG's. You are correct he is best @ OLG post. What endures Beadles to me me was he was banged up bad in the SB but still played the entire game....something I give him great credit for....simular to Tom Nutten a decade or more back in style Nutten was banged up much but he usually was on the field eating donuts and protecting Warner & Bulger!

I do not see any great OG's in UFA do you?
Well Beadles would certainly upgrade LG but at what price?
I like Shwartz more than Beadles but again at what price?
If Miami or whoever pays Saffold $8 a year see ya. If the difference is minimal, a couple hundred grand a year or something, the best option to me is still to keep him.
Nutten was a great pass blocker.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True.
That is a risk with any signing. So the question then becomes where is the value?
A guy like Williams come cheap for a starter and stays healthy but is limited skill wise. Is that more of a value because he is on the field?
I would rather try to field a competitive team but your point is a great one. It is something every team will consider with Saffold. The lack of lineman with his skill set will override the concerns for someone.
So assuming he is gone the only place I see a possible upgrade is the crap shoot of the draft. Not excited about multiple rookies starting on the line.

I would think a guy slightly worse than saffold who can consistently stay in the lineup would still be a better value. IMO, a large part of an offensive lines success is continuity, which become increasingly difficult when you're starting a new lineup every couple weeks. Give me a guy who comes in to work everyday and works hard, plays tough, and stays healthy over a guy who flashes impressive plays but can't stay healthy. SO yes, to me a guy like williams is actually an upgrade over saffold if he can plays 16 games.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would think a guy slightly worse than saffold who can consistently stay in the lineup would still be a better value. IMO, a large part of an offensive lines success is continuity, which become increasingly difficult when you're starting a new lineup every couple weeks. Give me a guy who comes in to work everyday and works hard, plays tough, and stays healthy over a guy who flashes impressive plays but can't stay healthy. SO yes, to me a guy like williams is actually an upgrade over saffold if he can plays 16 games.

You get no argument out of me on the above....CW has value IMO most being what you pointed out.....he has remained healthy plus he can play (maybe not well) but he has started many NFL games @ four positions! Plus CW is another good around good guy who I have grown to like since he arrived.

fearsomefour

Legend
You get no argument out of me on the above....CW has value IMO most being what you pointed out.....he has remained healthy plus he can play (maybe not well) but he has started many NFL games @ four positions! Plus CW is another good around good guy who I have grown to like since he arrived.
I agree with everything you both said.
I was not say Saffold is a value just how value is measured.
All of that said LG needs to be improved. Williams is a good depth guy at G or an emergency T. Heck resign him for a couple of years, Im good with that, but we need better starters at both G spots if Saffold walks.

jjab360

Legend
Geoff Schwartz. I hope. Better than Saffold, half the price. Only difference is he can't play left tackle.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I too think it will be Schwartz, or another top Guard. It almost has to be now, or the Guard position will hijack our draft. There is a reason why we wanted to keep Saffold, and he was our #1 priority.