Who To Blame? It All Starts Up Front

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
While there is certainly plenty of culprits among players and coaches for the embarrassing showing the Rams put on for National TV on MNF, There is one that should get the biggest blame for laying an egg. Offensive Line coach Paul Boudreau. The game has passed this guy by. Just like I predicted in pre-season, He starts an OL that had only played a few snaps together.
First and foremost, GRob ,Wichmann, Barnes, Brown and Saffold had started all four pre-season games together and were gelling, sure enough, Coach Boo changes that for the opening game. Why? He starts Havenstien, who was sidelined with a broken toe for all of preseason and only got about 8 snaps in the 4th game. He shuffles the whole line, moving Saffold to LG, benching Wichmann. The result? GRob played like crap, Saffold played like crap, and Havenstien was the biggest turd on the OL. So what does coach Boo do when he sees how bad the OL is? He subs Wichmann in for Brown at RG, Instead of yanking Hav and putting Saffold back in at RT and Wichmann back at LG.

That OL had NO CONTINUITY, could not open holes for the running game and did a horrible job of pass blocking, and I blame Paul Beaudreau for fucking it up just so he could get Hav in who was clearly not ready. I'ts also clear to me GRob and Saffold don't play very well next to each other

I could rant more but I think I'll just have another beer.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
While there is certainly plenty of culprits among players and coaches for the embarrassing showing the Rams put on for National TV on MNF, Ttere is one that should get the biggest blame for laying an egg. Offensive Line coach Paul Boudreau. The game has passed this guy by. Just like I predicted in pre-season, He starts an OL that had only played a few snaps together.
First and foremost, GRob ,Wichmann, Barnes, Brown and Saffold had started all for pre-season games together, and were gelling, sure enough, Coach Boo changes that for the opening game. Why? He starts Havenstien, who was sidelined with a broken toe for all of preseason and only got about 8 snaps in the 4th game. He shuffles the whole line, moving Saffold to LG, benching Wichmann. The result? GRob played like crap, Saffold played like crap, and Havenstien was the biggest turd on the OL. So what does coach Boo do when he sees how bad the OL is? He subs Wichmann in for Brown at RG, Instead of yanking Hav and putting Saffold back in at RT and Wichmann back at LG.

That OL had NO CONTINUITY, could not open holes for the running game and did a horrible job of pass blocking, and I blame Paul Beaudreau for freaking it up just so he could get Hav in who was clearly not ready. I'ts also clear to me GRob and Saffold don't play very well next to each other

I could rant more but I think I'll just have another beer.
I completely agree, and said it in another thread, makes no sense. We were moving some good defensive lines off the ball in the preseason. I'm talking starters vs starters.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
ehh line didn't play that bad. our QB made them look worse. the 2nd half they actually played pretty well and Keenum looked worse. he doesn't even let the play develop he throws to the first read every time no matter if he has time or not

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

FRO

Legend
Pass protection should be great when the passes are short passes to the sideline.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
That's true.
He does dump it off to his first read for no apparent reason.

View: https://twitter.com/NoPlanB_/status/775805550067974144

Or maybe it's because there's no alternative.

X check something out in that video and tell me what you think. watch what gurley does and tell me if that may be a play in the future. also watch the linemen come block for him on the backside.

scaffold also looks to that side like the pass can go there too. I could have run forever

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
X check something out in that video and tell me what you think. watch what gurley does and tell me if that may be a play in the future. also watch the linemen come block for him on the backside.

scaffold also looks to that side like the pass can go there too. I could have run forever
Yep. It's just WR screens. Could have hit either one of them, were it not for the 3 rushers immediately in his face.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I can't agree with blaming the o-line. They played poorly, but even if they had the best games of their lives, the result would have been similar. The problem is the COACHING AND PLAY CALLING. Did you see how many 49ers were at the line of scrimmage?! Those runs up the gut and horizontal passes were never going to work no matter how good our hogs did. It's basic math. There were just to many red vs white jerseys at the line of scrimmage.

If we actually tried to pass up the field and the o-line let us down, or we had the chance for huge runs but the offensive line just couldn't get push, that would be one thing. But the few passes to Britt worked great (query why our brain-dead coaching staff refused to utilise the middle of the field more after seeing those passes to Britt succeeding), so the pass protection was obviously serviceable enough to move the ball a bit albeit shaky. Go watch other NFL teams play. Almost the entire is claiming their o-line sucks. And I'd argue for most teams that's indeed the case. Yet no team struggles as bad as the Rams on offense. Likewise, who blew up seemingly every run play? Navarro Bowman. I guess the o-line is supposed to run block LBers on every play now too. No running plays looked even close to succeeding because a mob of 49ers was there on every play.

Fisher needs to go.

This team has talent. But all the talent in the world won't win you a single game without adequate coaching. In football, good coaching is absolutely essential to success.

Mick

Pro Bowler
That's true.
He does dump it off to his first read for no apparent reason.

View: https://twitter.com/NoPlanB_/status/775805550067974144

Or maybe it's because there's no alternative.

Looking at that play...the DB is right up on TA...why? I can only surmise that he A) knows TA ain't going deep on him B) knows that Keenum can't get it to him, even in the rare chance he does run a deep pattern C) Saw the graphic earlier in the broadcast the showed TA catches the vast majority of his tries within 3 yards of the LOS, or behind D) All of the above....I'm gonna go D.

There is enough blame to go around that locker room twice

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Boudreau did not take my advice I gave last week...keep the OL the same as its been all pre season.....but NO.

First he yanked Saffold from the right side & flipped him to the left side then moved him from outside to inside. Saffold had not played OLG all TC & pre season. Boudreau yanks the best all-around OG Wichmann from OLG where Cody had been playing since TC began & then rotated him back in @ ORG with Jamon Brown. Jamon Brown played the majority of the snaps @ ORG but was not as effective as Cody Wichmann was. Boudreau then inserted Havenstein in @ ORT. Big Rob had been laid up since before the OTA's & missed all fo TC & all but one series of one pre season games then Rob was limited in practice till Saturday. Why was any of this done?

"That don't make no sense".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EBsLOJv-yI

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
You're absolutely right, the coaching staff's way of shuffling the O-line is mind-boggling. No wonder we have no continuity, you would expect the coaching staff would understand that the O-line woes would stem having guys play in the same position all 4 quarters barring injury after 5 years, but nope. They still go full retard.

Mick

Pro Bowler
You're absolutely right, the coaching staff's way of shuffling the O-line is mind-boggling. No wonder we have no continuity, you would expect the coaching staff would understand that the O-line woes would stem having guys play in the same position all 4 quarters barring injury after 5 years, but nope. They still go full retard.

Debacled

Starter
Neither team appeared to have any confidence in Keenum's ability to throw the ball....for good reason.

No zip on his passes. No progression through his reads (just like Foles was guilty of last year....is it some kind of bizarro Rams offensive philosophy to stare down 1 receiver and throw it within 3 yards of the LOS 90% of the time?). Skittish in the pocket any time he had to move....just not good man.

Can't blame the line with the D stacking it all game long. They did nothing to change that either. I mean there was that one play across the mid for Britt that went for like 22 yards, but its not like we saw that ever again in the game.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I was just about to say Boudreaux as the coach who should not have messed up the OL.

He should have retired and leave.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Regarding the picture in this post: All the corners up tight on WRs like that means the 49ers be lookin' for Tavon's mean screen----and, of course no audibles. 3 yard outs, just like the Patriots, ya that's the ticket, Jeff. You really understand how Beliboy does it!

Fish, i had supported, because the rams played hard, but now we are a national embarrassment with a BOAT load of high quality playerss: Gurley, Hav, Tavon, Saffold, Donald, Brockers, Quinn, Hayes, Ogletree, Barron, TJ Mac, Trumaine and Hecker. A lot of talent and no success after 5 years?//What does that say?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It's always strange when the o-line gets switched about from one that was working in pre-season, surely it would be better to work Hav in slowly once games are settled and we've worked out their D-plan.

But that aside, I still can't help thinking that Keenum is in way out of his depth, he does't seem to let plays develop, chucks a ball that doesn't seem to have any oomph behind it and its very low in the air once released.

It's just embarrassing being a Rams fan this week and I find it funny that Fisher is still in the job. We talk about players' ceilings and floors, I think Fisher has hit his ceiling with the Rams and the succession of OCs we've had with very low ceilings and floors is killing what could be a playoff team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We need a Will Fuller or Jon Brown or Quick to be what he is supposed to be and get behind the defense for the big play when they stack the box.

I thought that Fisher never showed his hand in pre-season. But, they didn't do anything differently in that game. It was all very basic.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yep. It's just WR screens. Could have hit either one of them, were it not for the 3 rushers immediately in his face.
I think that play is a designed jail break. At least I hope it was, because everyone but Saffold releases to the second level. GRob looks like he is running one of our vaunted 3 yd out (on 3rd and 8) routes, lolz.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Now THIS is some 1-15 bullshit...WTF Wichmann??