Who starts opposite Givens?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who is our WR2 this year?

• Pettis

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Quick

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • Bailey

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Other (write-in)

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Don't know yet

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CoachO said:
max said:
I think Bradford has developed enough confidence in Cook and Givens, so he doesn't need Pettis as the established WR.

And when you add in Kendricks, that's 3 guys Sam is comfortable with.

Pettis was never going to be Sam's security blanket. He was just a jag vet.

When you add Tavon into the mix, that's 4 major targets for Bradford.

So Quick won't be stressed. The focus of defenses will be on Givens, Cook, and Tavon.

The Rams don't need Quick to be the man this year, just compliment the other big guns.

Quick just needs to provide a big catch and run occasionally and beat single coverage downfield

Pettis is nowhere near the threat that Quick can be to make a big play. And Bailey is just a tad green.

That's why I voted Quick.

THIS X 1000!!!

Thanks CoachO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Just adding another thought; it wouldn't surprise me if Pettis starts week 1... but Quick gets more snaps week 1.

That feels like what the coaches are trying to do in these preseason games; show respect to Pettis and push Quick.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Starting the OTA's I had no favorite and no real hope of a second wideout that would impress.

Then Bailey had an early lead for surprising in my mind but faded so now I'd vote Quick (and did).

The good news for Rams' fans is any, or even all, of these options might be a producer this season.

nighttrain

Legend
RamFan503 said:
I think Quick will be the guy in game one. Pettis has been the great disappearing act in pre-season. And I don't think it's because they aren't game planning. Quick has the tools to stress defenses. IMO - he could still be playing at about half potential and still be more of a threat than Pettis. I like Pettis but nothing about his game says starter except on a team devoid of talent - which is no longer this team. Fish may start him and it may be for no greater reason than Austin has been the consummate team player this season. I think Fish pays respect to players that put the team first. I don't think he would do it for any extended period of time though.

The reason I think Pettis might still be used in the red zone and in short yardage situations though is he seems to have above average concentration and tracking of the ball. When players are stacked in tight and there are only small windows, he seems to still be able to find the ball in all the confusion. In those cases, it can be more about finding the ball and beating your defender to it.... Oh yeah... and CATCHING the damn thing.
Excellent post
train

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I say Quick has earned the right to start ahead of Pettis & Company... Even if the coaches think its a tie, I would start Quick and attempt to build up his confidence slowly each game. Try getting him the ball early in the game. Obviously he's not going to be the focus of the passing game this season so I would attempt to get him a few catches each game without too much pressure on him a.k.a. ruined him...
Play him and let him get use to playing every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I chose the write in option. I think Tavon will be the other starter at WR. He'll likely be in the slot and backfield much more than out wide, but IMO he'll be listed as the starter. Just like DA was

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
libertadrocks said:
I chose the write in option. I think Tavon will be the other starter at WR. He'll likely be in the slot and backfield much more than out wide, but IMO he'll be listed as the starter. Just like DA was

I dunno, man. Tavon will not be starting outside... so someone else will opposite Givens.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
libertadrocks said:

I dunno, man. Tavon will not be starting outside... so someone else will opposite Givens.

What I was saying was I think Tavon will be listed as the starter, but he wont see much playing time out there. Like what they did with DA. Tavon will technically be the starter opposite Givens.

So the starting line up is WR1 Givens, WR2 Austin, TE Cook, RB DR, and TE/FB Kendricks

As for who will line up out wide when Tavon's in the slot, it's probably Pettis. Unfortunately.......

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
libertadrocks said:
CGI_Ram said:
libertadrocks said:

What I was saying was I think Tavon will be listed as the starter, but he wont see much playing time out there. Like what they did with DA. Tavon will technically be the starter opposite Givens.

So the starting line up is WR1 Givens, WR2 Austin, TE Cook, RB DR, and TE/FB Kendricks

As for who will line up out wide when Tavon's in the slot, it's probably Pettis. Unfortunately.......

Okay, I got ya. Yeah, in a two receiver set.

I can't say I know how they name "the starters" when it comes to the number of receivers in a starting lineup.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
libertadrocks said:
CGI_Ram said:
libertadrocks said:

Okay, I got ya. Yeah, in a two receiver set.

I can't say I know how they name "the starters" when it comes to the number of receivers in a starting lineup.

I can assure you, Tavon Austin will NOT be the second WR in TWO WR sets. Has NOT taken ONE SINGLE SNAP in that personnel grouping.

At this point, it will be Pettis, but the "starter" is going to be irrelevant, based on the situational packages.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think Quick and Pettis are going to split a lot of reps. I think Pettis probably plays more on run downs.