Who should be the backup QB in 2014?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who should back up Shaun Hill this season?

• Garrett Gilbert

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Austin Davis

Votes: 26 74.3%
  • Trade (tell us in the comments)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Cut-down guy (tell us in the comments)

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Un-retired superstar past his prime (tell us in the comments)

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Shaun Hill is now our starting QB. He'll do fine, I'm sure... this is why we signed him in the first place, because he has the veteran savvy and accuracy to step in and start effectively.

The question now becomes, who do you want backing him up? We have Austin Davis and Garrett Gilbert on the roster already. Trade rumors have surfaced for guys like Mark Sanchez, Mike Vick, Chase Daniel, etc. etc. Also roster cuts are coming - there may be someone let go who is a reasonably seasoned and decent-upside player.

Or, y'know, you could go raid the retirement homes for a Brett Favre or Kurt Warner.

What do you want as the Rams' backup QB in 2014? Tell us why in the thread.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I think Austin Davis knows the playbook about as good as Bradford, so I'm going with him.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I started to type Bulger....But I didn't.
I am confused by your use of blue font; does that mean you didn't start to type Bulger, but then did?

(I kid, I kid)

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I know there is about a .1% chance of it ever happening but If I was Snead I would be on a plane to go visit Kurt Warner face to face and at least try to convince him to give it one more go. Now back to Reality I think shaun hill is then man until he proves he cant do it but we need some insurance My top 3 options in order would be

1. Glennon - Hes got one year of experience and all the tools to be a franchise QB so he in my opinion is the best option if tampa is willing to part with him and at least he would give us some hope for the future because were not gonna be in position to take a QB high in the next draft unless we give up the farm.

2. Mark Sanchez - While I dont think Sanchez is the future for this franchise Hes the only one out there that knows this system and if Hill cant get it done he would be a good insurance policy.

3. Vick - At the very least he it would be exciting to watch and if he can stay healthy all year I think he can make enough plays to give us a shot.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Ryan Mallett - QB - Patriots
The Patriots are expected to hold Ryan Mallett out of Thursday's preseason finale as opportunities around the NFL become available.
The Patriots are still holding out hope that they can get something in a trade for Mallett, who is entering the final year of his contract. It remains unlikely, even with Sam Bradford (knee) going down and Cam Newton (ribs) slightly iffy for Week 1. If teams were interested in Mallett, they would have swung a deal long ago. Second-round rookie Jimmy Garoppolo will start Thursday.
Related: Jimmy Garoppolo
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Aug 25 - 11:48 AM

I wouldnt mind at least giving the pats a call about Mallett pats are looking to get whatever they can out of him now. maybe had for a late round pick. The guy has one of the strongest arms in the league I would take a flier on the cheap.

SWMO Fan

UDFA
Name
Mike
I think Austin Davis knows the playbook about as good as Bradford, so I'm going with him.
I agree. The fact that Fisher sent Davis into the game right after Sam went down says a lot. The fact that Davis did so well says even more.

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron
I think Austin Davis helped himself quite a bit with his performance against the Browns. I don't foresee a trade for one of the bigger names (Mallett, Sanchez, Vick), but Kyle Orton or another roster cut could quite possibly happen.

SWMO Fan

UDFA
Name
Mike
I saw a couple of votes for Gilbert. I'd be interested to know why he got the votes. My best guess is that if people think that if he is going to assume the starting QB job someday that he may as well get in the mix sooner rather than later. Hard to argue against that reasoning IMO.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I voted for Davis - but I'd want Gilbert on the roster, learning and maybe being ready as the backup later in the season. I'm just not convinced that Davis is a good option long or even more than short term.

Of course, I've been wrong once or twice before.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I believe the cowboys still have the rights to Orton if he wanted to come play so we would have to trade for him or cowboys would have to play nice and cut him.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think if Hill went down the season would be lost and it'd be a lot of fun watching Austin out there slinging the rock around. He sure as hell isn't afraid to "TRY" to push it down the field. His arm strength is a concern, but he's better this year than last.

lockdnram21

Legend
I think rams probably start Davis and see how he does with first team. Thenpick up a replaceent after that

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I voted Gilbert. If Hill goes down it's over anyways. Might as well get the kid some reps and see what he can do.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Davis knows the offense better than Gilbert, but I think the ceiling is higher with Gilbert. That said, I want to win some games this season, not just give Gilbert experience.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I agree. The fact that Fisher sent Davis into the game right after Sam went down says a lot. The fact that Davis did so well says even more.

He didn't. He sent Hill in. He then pulled Hill and put in Davis because Hill is his last starting caliber QB and Rams' players were dropping like flies.

I voted Davis because I'm an optimist and he HAS looked good some in the preseason but he stunk up training camp.