Who Remembers Kurt Warner's First game action..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It was the last game of the year Vs. SF .... C'mon! :whistle:;):D:rolleyes:
Yup.

I was on the AOL Rams forum back then and had been clamoring for Warner to get a shot in the last few games because I was SICK TO DEATH of the Tony Banks show, and we clearly weren't going to the playoffs. He ended up playing like the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter in the last game. Yay. Thanks Dick.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I remember watching him play in the 98 preseason and literally throwing things at the TV because He was clearly the best QB on the team and they wouldn't play him. The offense just lit up when he was in the game.
They just kept sticking with the lost cause that was Tony Banks.

To this day Banks was the worst QB that I've ever witnessed in the NFL!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I remember. He wore number 10. He wasn't that great. Little did I know I was watching a hall of fame QB. While Bulger was a very good QB I wonder how the fortunes of our franchise would have changed had we kept Kurt.

I think had we kept Kurt and played him his career would have ended there that year. He was injured, and pretty shell shocked. I doubt he would have ever gotten the time to really heal up and get his head straight. I think that even though there are legions of people who feel the Rams screwed up it really was the best outcome for both the Rams and Warner. Rams got a good young guy whose talents fit Martz's system well, and Warner was able to take time needed to get his mojo back. Had Martz and team management been able to keep it together we could have very well had some very exciting NFC games between a Martz offense and a Warner led Cardinals team.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Anyone know where I can dig up one of the interviews Rollin Williams has given regarding Kurt?

He recalls that he caught Kurts 1st TD pass, He was something crazy like the 4th or 5th option....so no way this backup reads all the way to him...he turns around to look, but doesn't expect to be targeted and the ball is incoming. He jokes Kurt is luck he even caught it he was so surprised. He says that was the moment he realized this guy was going to be good....

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I don't remember that particular one, but I was at the preseason game when he inherited the starting QB spot. I remember the big group of medical staff. I said "Man, I hope that's not Green." My dad said "To hell with that, I hope it's not Faulk."

Age carries wisdom, it seems.

rams2050

Starter
I remember Trent going down and vowing to hate Rodney Harrison for the rest of my days. (I still do; what a douche!)

I admit; I sort of gave up at that point, went on a hunting trip out West, heard as we were returning home that the Rams had won their first two games and hurried back up on the bandwagon. Have never been so cavalier about the Rams and their chances of victory again, although that first year was pure bliss, almost a sort of karma, with Kurt, perhaps, playing the part of Warren Beatty in "Heaven Can Wait."

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone know where I can dig up one of the interviews Rollin Williams has given regarding Kurt?

He recalls that he caught Kurts 1st TD pass, He was something crazy like the 4th or 5th option....so no way this backup reads all the way to him...he turns around to look, but doesn't expect to be targeted and the ball is incoming. He jokes Kurt is luck he even caught it he was so surprised. He says that was the moment he realized this guy was going to be good....

Couldn't find the Williams interview but this is Kurt Warner's first TD pass in 1999.
lnmltq.gif

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I didn't have any Sunday Ticket or anything like that back then. Don't even remember if I was on the internet. So I didn't get to watch many games that year. They show all the 49er games in my area.

The first real look I got at Warner was the 49er game. I wasn't sure what we had and I still remember the history with the 49ers. Wasn't good. I remember when we were 4-1 going into a game with them and Steve Young was out. We thought we would beat them and we got whacked at home. That game spawned the SOSAR era.

So I was apprehensive about playing them. The situation was similar. But Warner and Bruce went to work and I realized this was not the Same Ole Sorry Ass Rams. I knew we had something in Warner, Faulk and company.

fearsomefour

Legend
vs SF in 98. Yeah, I watched the game and thought, ok, here is the next guy.
He was blah, like the entire team that season, nothing special in that game.
4 for 11 for 39 yards. A very un-Warner stat line.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
As a St. Louis Ram? I remember seeing him on the roster and waiting and waiting to see what we had in this unknown QB. Then ... finally in the last game of the season he finally got a few garbage time snaps. Nothing spectacular, but I was still intrigued to see more of him.

I remember being a candlestick and the Rams being beat badly, my wife wanted to leave then they put KW in. IIRC the Rams were starting inside their own 5 yard line, I siad let me see what KW can do, if its the same KW from arena league there is no way he should have been on the bench behind Tony Banks. He drove the team down for a TD but it was too little too late.

I musta had too many beers that day, I coulda swore KW moved the team down the field for a score. Obviously I was wrong.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Dear lord that is sweet...the way he ignores the pass rush, and then how he hits that window perfect....

There have been other guys who stood in the pocket like Warner and were that effing brave, but only a few I can think of.

He was fearless when the pressure was coming and just stood in and delivered. It's amazing he survived the meatgrinder that was Martz's playcalling and play design.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It was all because of that "Kill Kurt" drill from High School to stop him from flinching.

Guess it worked...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It was all because of that "Kill Kurt" drill from High School to stop him from flinching.

Guess it worked...

Yeah I had forgotten about that. It worked, because Warner didn't change his motion or footwark as the pocket was caving in on him. The OL wasn't as good as some people think IMO, they were decent don't get me wrong, but Warner and Faulk made them look even better.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Naw, but I do remember Trent going down, and I was pissed....His first game of the regular season was a blur...I remember Vermeil crying more....We will rally around Kurt Warner (wtf, WHO?!?!)....and play good football.
I remember thinking who the hell is this guy and great another lost season then he blew everybody away and gave us our Super Bowl win.Some people like to say that history has a habit of repeating itself well this will never happen again that's for sure.That was a perfect storm of a team and I was proud and happy that it was our Rams that did it.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
And there was not only no asterisk by that Rams Super Bowl winning team, but they truly rose up to shock the world!