Who is the Rams most overrated & most underrated player?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Who is the Rams most overrated & most underrated player?
By Tevin Broner@T_Bron on Jul 2 2014

20131222_jla_af5_531.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Scott Kane-USA TODAY Sports

It's time to look at who Pete Prisco thinks the Rams most overrated and underrated players are.

CBS's lead senior writer Pete Prisco wrote about most overrated and underrated players for all 32 NFL teams. Fans of teams like the Houston Texans or the Philadelphia Eagles, will probably be upset by his list. Should Ram fans be upset too? Let's look at his choices for the most overrated and underrated Rams.

Overrated: TE Jared Cook -- They paid him a lot of money and he was decent, but clearly not worth the money. He had 51 catches in an offense that needed more. He has the ability to do so much more.

There were hopes that Cook would give the Rams that dynamic receiving tight end that would make life easier for Sam Bradford and improve the Rams passing offense. Cook showed the athletic ability and speed to be in the conversation as one of the most effective tight ends in the NFL.

However, Cook wasn't able to put the pieces together after his outstanding game against the Arizona Cardinals, where he had 7 receptions, 141 yards, and two touchdowns. Cook was just okay the rest of the way finishing the season with 51 receptions, 671 yards, and five touchdowns. Last season wasn't a complete failure for Cook, there's still a chance that he can be better with Bradford. But he didn't live up to the expectations of his five-year, $35 million contract that included $19 million guaranteed, an amount that makes him one of the highest paid tight ends in the league.

I don't agree with Cook, being the most overrated player, but from a national standpoint, Cook was the big name that the Rams brought over with big expectations.

I would say that Janoris Jenkins was the most overrated player last season. There were huge expectations placed on Jenkins and he played okay, at best, but I can say that it didn't look like he progressed from the previous season.

Underrated: T Joe Barksdale --
They got him from Oakland and he was a pleasant surprise at right tackle. He played so well that 2014 first-round pick Greg Robinson will start his career at left guard, rather than tackle.

It's hard not to underrate Barksdale. He was just a random guy from the street when the Rams added him who became a really good starter. Barksdale is fundamentally sound and there's really not that many negatives to say about him.

I do agree with Barksdale being underrated. I wouldn't be surprise if he played better this year than last year as a full time starter.

So do you guys agree with Prisco? Who else do you think could be considered underrated or overrated?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think Cook will have 800+ yards this season, assuming OL and QB health. Where I think we'd all really like to see more production from him is in the redzone, meaning more TDs. If he can haul in 8-10 TDs we're in good shape.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I would go with JL for overrated, (although that is not saying he is bad).

For underrated, it is hard to argue against Barksdale, but I will go with Brockers anyway. He was an absolute monster last year, and will only get better!

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I will admit to thinking Cook would be more of an impact player than he was. What pisse me off about him was his lack/desire to block! It got better but was still lacking by year's end. Barksdale was a plesant surprise to me!

STLINI

UDFA
Cook and Barksdale fit. Tough for me to come up with better examples.

I think JL could be considered based solely on his play. However, the intelligence aspect that JL brings I think is a little underrated. I think he is a true student of the game that is the type of guy you want calling and setting up your defense.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hell... I consider Cook underrated.

He broke the Ram TE records last year.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I look at Cook and see an overrated player as far as his production last year in comparison to his contract but I would place him in the underrated category as far as his potential is concerned. He is going to see a big uptick with Bradford healthy again. With his explosive start last year and the lack of other real talented receivers running routes around him, I consider him successful because it was obvious that defenses could commit extra coverage to him.

I have a few candidates:
Overrated:
- Chris Givens - I think we are finding out why he is a 4th round receiver, I hope he bounces back next year
- Chris Long - I love CL91, however he is the 3rd best DE on this team according to PFF, although that may speak to how good William Hayes is as well
- James Laurinaitis - I also really like JL55, however being the #31 MLB in football according to PFF, I would hope for a little more production from him - I think he will do well in Gregg Williams scheme
- Janoris Jenkins - hopefully he had a sophomore slump, but I expected more out of him as well

Underrated:
- Barksdale - already addressed up top
- Johnny Hekker - I know that he does get some praise, but he is arguably the best punter in the game right now, 2 seasons in
- Greg Zuerlein - Same with Hekker, although Zuerlein is more top 5 - we have a very good K/P combo for years to come hopefully
- Austin Pettis - every year since he has been a Ram, I see posters say he needs to be cut or released, when he is a perfect hands/possession type receiver that is crucial for a team, especially one that is a time controlled offense like ours

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Underrated:

- Johnny Hekker - I know that he does get some praise, but he is arguably the best punter in the game right now, 2 seasons in
- Greg Zuerlein - Same with Hekker, although Zuerlein is more top 5 - we have a very good K/P combo for years to come hopefully

Those two came to mind while reading the article. Hekker did make the Pro Bowl but before last season I sure did underrate him. Zuerlein is definitely underrated. Just think about how blessed we Rams fans are to have those two on the team. Hekker is 24 and Zuerlein is 26. Hopefully they will just keep getting better and better. Fisher, Snead, and Fassel totally nailed it with those two ST aces.

fancents86

Starter
I don't see Jenkins as overrated, I see him as a victim of a poor DC. Hell actually, if you wanna get technical, they are all overrated if you compare our talent to our season wins. Except Quinn, he's a beast. I think we have all the right talent, we were just lacking the right coaches. Verdict is still out on shotty though...

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Overrated: Givens
Underrated: Cook

I get that Cook signed the big deal, but I think he wasn't too bad last year and will be even better with a stronger passing attack.

Givens was very unproductive for a guy who got a lot of snaps. I think he bounces back this year... But I'm not 100% confident either.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Overrated: Givens
Underrated: Cook

I get that Cook signed the big deal, but I think he wasn't too bad last year and will be even better with a stronger passing attack.

Givens was very unproductive for a guy who got a lot of snaps. I think he bounces back this year... But I'm not 100% confident either.
You and i agree far too often.
Cook has taken too much heat on this board IMO. It was his first season here, first in Shotty's system, and he had a backup QB for nine games. I think he did ok leading the team in receptions despite all that. I do expect more in 2014 in terms of production(yards/TD's), but i also don't have any delusions that he'll become the next Jimmy Graham or suddenly turn into a ferocious blocker.

Givens ceiling is Mike Wallace IMO. I doubt he gets there and thats ok. We just need him to get open deep occasionally, CATCH THE DAMN BALL and stretch the defense. This is a big season for CG. I expect him to bounce back. He was hampered by nagging injury all season.

SierraRam

Recreational User
JJ played poorly last year, but i believe it was the system as much as the player. I expect a huge bounce back from our CB's because of GW.

Underrated: I thought Brockers stuffed the middle after he finally recovered from that cheap shot he got from the jackass #69 Titan OL scrub who purposely cut him in preseason. That guy should have been suspended. It took MB a long time to get his ankle back to 100%. After that, Brockers was a beast.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
There is no way that cook should even be in the discussion IMO. He set the record for TE's, and learned how to block a little better as the year went on.