Who is the most complete 2020 NFL playoff team?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I know that PFF is flawed, but if the Rams can put it together, we might just win it all babe

NO. 3: LOS ANGELES RAMS
Offense
  • The Rams hardly addressed their offensive line last offseason, which seemed like a curious decision at the time after their once-dangerous offense regressed badly in 2019. Alas, coach Sean McVay has more football knowledge in his pinky than any of us ever will in our entire body, and the Rams managed to field the league’s sixth and 13th ranked offensive line in yards before contact per attempt and pressure rate. The latter rate is particularly impressive considering Jared Goff’s average of 2.54 seconds from snap to attempt ranked just 23rd among 42 qualified QBs.
  • And yet, this offense still couldn’t consistently pound the rock despite having anyone’s idea of a solid offensive line. Each of Cam Akers (29th in yards after contact per carry among 51 qualified players), Darrell Henderson (32nd) and Malcolm Brown (49th) were below-average backs in their ability to pick up additional yardage after first contact.
Defense
  • This pass defense is downright terrifying, ranking first in PFF coverage grade, EPA allowed per pass, yards allowed per attempt and explosive pass-play rate. Overall, their average of -0.161 EPA per pass play is good for the 11th-best single-season mark from a pass defense since 2010. Both Aaron Donald(PFF’s No. 1 highest-graded interior defender) and Jalen Ramsey (No. 8 corner) each deserve plenty of success for helping build this juggernaut.
  • The Rams aren’t a bad tackling defense by any stretch; nobody 1) has a lower missed tackle rate, 2) allowed fewer yards after contact per attempt. Their only “issue” was ranking 24th in yards after the catch per reception; just realize this is likely more of a result from opposing passing games posting the league’s second-lowest average target depth when facing the Rams. The Saints also boast a great defense, but gimme the Rams as the league’s best unit entering the playoffs.

The Ramowl

Starter
It's a nice read, but looking at the whole rankings it really needs te be taken with a jumbo size pinch of salt.
WFT is ranked above KC and Buffalo per example.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kansas City is a strange one granted. The Bills not so much. How is their defense anything other than average?

I am not a fan of PFF but I do believe they are correct. We have a well balanced team, with stars and quality starters on both sides. Players that might be coached up to play their best football now.

Read the article and judge for yourself

Are Green Bay a one player team? No, but Rogers just had a historical year. Yet, he didn’t face the best defense in football (statistically one of the best for years vs the pass)

Here are some stats to consider

1. The Broncos, led by Miller, had the No. 1 defense in all of football, allowing a paltry 283.1 yards per game. They were the only team in the NFL that allowed less than 200 passing yards per game (199.6) and their 52 sacks led the league.

2. Rodgers
' 147.9 passer rating on Sunday was his highest of the season, and his final 121.5 passer rating for this season is the second-best single-season mark by any player in NFL history

Let’s beat down Seattle and Tampa then see if Rogers can keep up his rating against a Rams defense that just beat the Broncos defense (rated best of that decade) in every major category, including sacks...

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
It's a nice read, but looking at the whole rankings it really needs te be taken with a jumbo size pinch of salt.
WFT is ranked above KC and Buffalo per example.
The writer does make it pretty clear they aren't intended to be rankings of who the top championship contenders are, but instead it is a ranking measuring the lineup balance of each roster.

So KC's massive advantage at QB is not weighted any higher than WFT's advantage at DL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think all the teams are flawed.

In the NFC Green Bay is hitting on all cylinders at the right time but their defense can be had. Rodgers gets all kinds of hero worship but if you remove his run game he's human. The Saints have been killing it and their defense has been smothering folks but their QB is old and feeble and Hill is not an every down QB I think we'll see that in this year's playoffs.

Rams are in this dudes. They're getting healthy at the right time. The problem for them is there's no tuneup game for the returning pieces so we're definitely a darkhorse but a very capable and threatening one IMO. I like us vs any NFC rival if the OL can settle down. That's the entire thing as far as I'm concerned. If that happens we might see this team crash these playoffs hard.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I can’t shake this odd feeling that Buffalo is going to squander their hot finish in the AFC.

Green Bay’s weather spooks me, but I don’t mind playing them if weather is not a factor. Bring ‘em on.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah Buffalo might not be ready but they're really surprising in how they turned out. I expected them to be a top team this year based on their defense and thought their QB was a bit of a dumbass. Now I see a team with a defense that probably isn't good enough but they have a chance because that QB can put the whole thing on his back.

One of the things I love about sports lol. You think you know but then you see the players decide the truth is something else.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah Buffalo might not be ready but they're really surprising in how they turned out. I expected them to be a top team this year based on their defense and thought their QB was a bit of a dumbass. Now I see a team with a defense that probably isn't good enough but they have a chance because that QB can put the whole thing on his back.

One of the things I love about sports lol. You think you know but then you see the players decide the truth is something else.

Buffalo can beat anybody. I like them. Just... can they string it together? I am rooting for them.

And, you’re right... that script sure flipped. They’re an offensive team, first.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ah so our offensive line IS good this year.

And before y'all do what people on the internet do and trash PFF, keep in mind that everyone on ROD last year used PFFs ranking of 31st to discuss how bad they were. If you accepted that ranking last year as proof they were bad, you have to accept that this year as proof that they're good.