Who is our best 5 O-linemen?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For the sake of consistency, or do you feel that's our best 5 guys right now?

bigdog2834

UDFA
Name
Donnie
I would like to see Saffold moved to RG. He played really well there last year. Slide Robinson in at LG and see how that works.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
What are grammar? Lol sorry couldn't help it with the title.

You gotta think it's Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale, but who knows. Maybe some of the age is catching up with guys like Wells. I didn't think Long was that old, but maybe he's just a bit rusty, who knows. It'll get better.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I would like to see Saffold moved to RG. He played really well there last year. Slide Robinson in at LG and see how that works.

I was more disappointed in Long and Wells than Joseph. But, I agree.

Run first play action offense? POUND THE ROCK WITH Robinson and Saffold at OG.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I don't know who the best 5 are but Saffold needs to go back to the RG position where is dominated and stayed healthy last year. Moving him to the left side was a bad decision again by this offensive coaching staff. If you say its because the Rams got Joseph then I ask why did they get a RG. They all ready had one. Well, Saffold can also play LG. Yah and when he is on that side of the line he gets hurt and he was playing very well on the right. Get a LG. Oh wait, the Rams did. What is this team doing?

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I'd like to see, Long - Robinson - Barnes - Saffold - Barksdale. I think this unit gives them the best chance to be dominant at some point down the road.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yesterday we started Long - Saffold - Wells - Joseph - Barksdale. They got abused. Eyeball test, Wells and Joseph looked overmatched most of the game.

Now, Minnesota has a good D-line, but we're going to Tampa to meet up with Mr. McCoy and the Meanies. So no let-up here.

Who do you start, and why?

Me: Long - Robinson - Wells - Saffold - Barksdale. Robinson makes mistakes, but he's much more of a physical presence in the run game. We need that. With no push in the run game, guys are teeing off on Hill, pressing the line, and generally making it very easy to defend us.

I'd like to replace Wells, but he's got veteran savvy and the responsibility of making line calls. And I have to think that when placed between Robinson and Saffold, the overall unit will be a net positive.

What say you?
I say you're right. We start the 5 you mentioned and bring in Joseph when Saffold gets dinged up again.

diverdown

UDFA
So was the overreaction before this game (D. Joseph has regained pro-bowl form!!) or is it after the game (Joseph had one FS & played so-so, so he sucks)?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I thought that the play of the line was pathetic! We still need to draft our best five.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I thought that the play of the line was pathetic! We still need to draft our best five.
I'm not happy with a couple guys either. But don't you think that's a bit of a knee jerk reaction?

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
th

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yesterday we started Long - Saffold - Wells - Joseph - Barksdale. They got abused. Eyeball test, Wells and Joseph looked overmatched most of the game.

Now, Minnesota has a good D-line, but we're going to Tampa to meet up with Mr. McCoy and the Meanies. So no let-up here.

Who do you start, and why?

Me: Long - Robinson - Wells - Saffold - Barksdale. Robinson makes mistakes, but he's much more of a physical presence in the run game. We need that. With no push in the run game, guys are teeing off on Hill, pressing the line, and generally making it very easy to defend us.

I'd like to replace Wells, but he's got veteran savvy and the responsibility of making line calls. And I have to think that when placed between Robinson and Saffold, the overall unit will be a net positive.

What say you?
I think that's impossible for any of us to answer. We don't know these guys outside of their names. We don't now how well they know the assignments, how well they're performing in practice, or even if any of them are hampered by minor injuries. If it's me, I go with the same 5 as last week. If for no other reason than to establish a chemistry that can be sustained for more than one game.

Speeps

Starter
If Greg Robinson isn't better than anyone playing on that line after yesterday's performance then there is a serious problem. Also, anyone notice that Rodger Saffold gets hurt every game? Just an observation. At some point during every game something is wrong with Saffold.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
What's the over/under on how many snaps it takes?
I think that joke's older than the caveman who chiseled it.
Let's ease up on Rog, yeah? I know he's an injury waiting to happen, but dude's bustin' ass for this team.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
When you really think about why their performance dropped off the cliff from last year, it really has more to do with continuity issues. I question the coaching staff on that regard, especially when it cost Bradford and Hill a ticket to an injury. Even though we replaced Chris Williams for Greg Robinson, I wouldn't expect a huge dropoff in O-line chemistry. I hope we go forward with Robinson at LG while Saffold goes back to where he excels at on RG. Expect some hiccups from that unit but if they can stay healthy throughout the season, they will light it up like they did in the later part of the 2013 season.